News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Theropods Stability

Started by Concavenator, April 12, 2022, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Before I explain why I am creating this thread, I would like to give some context before.

I have owned 7 Wild Safari theropods up until now. And all 7 of them had stability issues at some point. So I reached a point in which I simply decided not to get any more theropods (well, bipeds, basically) from them because they wouldn't stand (it's not guaranteed, but from my perspective, I'm certainly not having good luck either). I tried the hot-cold water treatment on some figures and the longest time it worked for was about 2 days.

I recently discovered that placing a coin under one of the figure's feet makes it able to stand. So why are you not using this method for Safari figures as well, you may be wondering. Well, I have used it, but it has its limitations. I used the coin method with the Safari Allosaurus, and as expected, it works. The Deinonychus stands at times, so I have it leaning on the wall. And here comes an interesting factor: the material the figures are made of. I learnt the Safari 2021 figures are made of a more brittle material than before. I don't have any of their 2021 releases so I can't see for myself how brittle they are. But I do have the Deinonychus which is a 2020 release and it definitely feels more brittle than, say the Safari Velociraptor or Allosaurus. I bought it on December 2020, so I'm thinking it's likely it's made of the same material as the 2021 releases. I made some rearrangements in my collection and I'm now placing the Safari figures on one of the higher shelves (feel free to check the last rearrangement update of my collection thread), and I was worried that they could fall and break (because apparently they're now very brittle). I'm not concerned about my Allosaurus because the material seems pretty durable, but if my poor Deinonychus fell, the most likely thing that would happen is that it would literally get broken.

There are some Safari figures that are bipeds that I would like to get (Pachycephalosaurus, Baryonyx and Daspletosaurus), but I'm worried both for their stability and their fragility. So my question is: do they stand when leaning their tails on the ground? If they're able to stand as tripods, that is. In the Baryonyx's case I imagine it can't, due to the pose, but the other two look like maybe they could. Could anyone please confirm this? This has been my limiting factor that has made me not having any of these already.

John

I have the 2020 Pachycephalosaurus as well as the 2021 Daspletosaurus and Baryonyx and can tell you they are all made of the same stiffer plastic,not a more brittle plastic.And they all still stand fine.But my 2020 Deinonychus never could stand on it's own however.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Concavenator

avatar_John @John Looks like you had good luck with those (and bad luck with the Deinonychus). But do those three I mentioned stand if you pose them as tripods?

bmathison1972

I have started just leaving them in their plastic supports; it doesn't bother me for shelf presence.

Lanthanotus

I do not own many Safari bipeds (Carnegies not counted), but I experience the same issues with all of them. My Pachycepahlosaurus did not stand on its own aswell. I remedied this (as I do with a lot of bipeds) by inserting metal rods into their legs, but even with this method the Pachy for example does not stand very stable. I built a small base for it with air dry clay and I guess thats what I also do for the Safari Tyrannosaurus or the Deinocheirusonce I get them back to display.

John

Quote from: Concavenator on April 12, 2022, 06:53:01 PM
avatar_John @John Looks like you had good luck with those (and bad luck with the Deinonychus). But do those three I mentioned stand if you pose them as tripods?
The Deinonychus was always intended to rest on it's tail as a tripod but mime is too front heavy,so I never got rid of the clear plastic tray it came with.The Daspletosaurus can not be balanced on it's tail as a tripod but the Baryonyx can (but I'm not sure how long it will be before it falls over).
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Concavenator

Quote from: bmathison1972 on April 12, 2022, 09:04:18 PM
I have started just leaving them in their plastic supports; it doesn't bother me for shelf presence.

I wouldn't matter it...if it wasn't because the newer figures come with super large plastic supports. I remember this pic by avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon :

Quote from: Fembrogon on March 02, 2021, 03:40:29 PM

Quote from: John on April 13, 2022, 12:02:55 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on April 12, 2022, 06:53:01 PM
The Deinonychus was always intended to rest on it's tail as a tripod but mime is too front heavy,so I never got rid of the clear plastic tray it came with.The Daspletosaurus can not be balanced on it's tail as a tripod but the Baryonyx can (but I'm not sure how long it will be before it falls over).

Thanks! I wouldn't have expected the Bary to be able to stand as a tripod. And I imagined the Daspleto could, a shame it can't. Regarding the Deinonychus, even though it was originally intented to be a tripod (like the Safari Coelophysis, which Doug even confirmed), I remember hearing it was then modified in order to it to be able to stand on its own two legs. I imagine this is the reason behind all stability issues with this figure some people experience.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.