News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Tyrannosaurus rex had lips

Started by suspsy, March 30, 2023, 07:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerosteon

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin There are other studies to see how the Tyranosaurus could break bones without its jaws not being able to make a dental occlusion as current carnivorous mammals do, since this occlusion between the teeth favors the breaking of the bones, and current lizards find it impossible perform this. An essential requirement to do these without dental occlusion, is to have a reinforced palate like that of crocodiles and alligators, it is necessary to bite deeply into the bone and for this it was necessary for the lower and upper teeth to capture the bone at four points like shears in opposite directions to produce the fracture of the bone as indicated in the graph, so it seems that Tyrannosaurus could close their mouths more than what the study of the lips proposes, which is a minimal overlap of the rows of upper teeth and inferior, since its deep lips would not have allowed it and in this study it indicates the opposite since to break the bone that minimum overlap was necessary to exceed it.

This study indicates that the morphology of the teeth and reinforced palate was more similar to that of alligators and crocodiles, being able to develop high pressures to be able to crush bones as alligators and crocodiles do. This study also indicates that the thickness of the enamel in the teeth of Tyrannosaurus and crocodiles is similar, about 237 ± 6 and 223 ± 30 microns so that said teeth can withstand these pressures.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5435714/#CR5

Bread

https://youtu.be/Cef0jWTJcQE

Fossil Crates uploaded a very informative video regarding the lips paper. If anyone is interested, I highly recommend it as it breaks the paper down to the key notes.

I want to note that Fossil Crates are the ones who upload and share Tracy Ford's options, but I've noticed they tend to be in-between the argument especially after this posted video.

Dr. Brian Curtice is the gentleman speaking in the video. Again, I've even seen comments from him regarding that he's open to both sides. I don't know much about him other than he's more a sauropod researcher.

GojiraGuy1954

This guy has always been firmly anti-lips
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Cretaceous Crab

I really just don't see why the fuss about them having lips.

I mean, does it really make any theropod any less cool?  ???

Anything that takes us a step closer to what these animals actually looked like is fascinating either way to me.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Cretaceous Crab on April 11, 2023, 07:26:23 PMI really just don't see why the fuss about them having lips.

I mean, does it really make any theropod any less cool?  ???

Anything that takes us a step closer to what these animals actually looked like is fascinating either way to me.
It apparently makes them less scary than having goofy-looking exposed fangs
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Leyster

Quote from: Aerosteon on April 05, 2023, 10:48:45 PM
https://www.google.es/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpalaeo-electronica.org%2Fcontent%2Fpdfs%2F1178.pdf&psig=AOvVaw2PdFUCtizcN13e4fB_msNt&ust=1680819962855000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CBEQjhxqFwoTCPivw7rkk_4CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD
I tried to stay away from this discussion, but if you quote the content of a paper, please read its conclusions too.
Quotet would be tempting to interpret rostral neurovasculature to infer the presence or absence of lips and gums in extinct taxa; however, this would be premature as data on non-avian theropods are still scarce, and it is currently not possible to demonstrate that the neurovascular canals pattern is a reasonable osteological correlate to facial soft tissue. For instance, we proposed above that accommodating the thecodont dentition within the maxilla and dentary might account for many of the variations observed between squamates and archosauriforms. The proposed hypotheses will have to be addressed in the future as discoveries unfold and more data become available.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Bread

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on April 11, 2023, 06:36:24 PMThis guy has always been firmly anti-lips
In the video he seems to be pretty informative rather than anti-lips.

Although I did just find out by another youtube video that he seems to be pro-anti lips, the video I previously attached seems less of his previous claimed influences.

Only thing I find is the title being a little annoyed by lips if you can call it.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.