News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Cretaceous Crab's 1:32 scale Repaints

Started by Cretaceous Crab, June 25, 2020, 07:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cretaceous Crab

Baryonyx
Figure used: Carnegie
Color scheme reference: European Grass Snake (Natrix sp)

Concavenator
Figure used: Carnegie
Color scheme reference: Aesculapian snake

Tyrannosaurus
Figure used: Carnegie 10th Anniversary
Color scheme: very loosely based on extant large North American predators, such as alligators, black bears & mountain lions

Stegotyranno420

HOLY HELL THATS AMAZING

How did you do the concavenator

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: Stegotyranno on June 25, 2020, 08:00:03 PM
HOLY HELL THATS AMAZING

Thanks.

QuoteHow did you do the concavenator

What do you mean? Like, the whole process?

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Cretaceous Crab on June 25, 2020, 10:17:14 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno on June 25, 2020, 08:00:03 PM
HOLY HELL THATS AMAZING

Thanks.

QuoteHow did you do the concavenator

What do you mean? Like, the whole process?
No like techniques, resources, that kind of stuff

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: Stegotyranno on June 26, 2020, 12:59:07 AM

Well, I'm on a budget so I mainly use the cheap acrylic paint from Walmart, Apple Barrel brand.
1.) With nearly all figures, I clean then start out with a black acrylic primer. Really large figures, like a Carnegie Brachi, would get a primer the same color as their primary color scheme.
2.) I then dry-brush the figure with white, to start bringing out the details.
3.) Now, then the fun part = painting!
4.) After painting is completed, I'll cover it with a ink-wash, which really isn't ink, I guess. Its just 5-6 drops of a dark color mixed with floor finish. This helps the details pop out more.
5.) Last step is spraying it with a gloss finish. Some like to use a matte finish, but I like my figures shiney and glisteny.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Cretaceous Crab on June 26, 2020, 12:33:12 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno on June 26, 2020, 12:59:07 AM

Well, I'm on a budget so I mainly use the cheap acrylic paint from Walmart, Apple Barrel brand.
1.) With nearly all figures, I clean then start out with a black acrylic primer. Really large figures, like a Carnegie Brachi, would get a primer the same color as their primary color scheme.
2.) I then dry-brush the figure with white, to start bringing out the details.
3.) Now, then the fun part = painting!
4.) After painting is completed, I'll cover it with a ink-wash, which really isn't ink, I guess. Its just 5-6 drops of a dark color mixed with floor finish. This helps the details pop out more.
5.) Last step is spraying it with a gloss finish. Some like to use a matte finish, but I like my figures shiney and glisteny.

Nice works! I like them. But you drybrush them AFTER the Primer? I drybrush in the End of everything.

Halichoeres

Nice work! I find the Concavenator especially mesmerizing.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.