You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Interesting head trauma found in a Tarchia specimen

Started by Faelrin, April 07, 2023, 12:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Brand new paper here (not paywalled thankfully), from Tatiana Tumanova et al, published on the 4th:

https://anatomypubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ar.25205

It appears a Tarbosaurus, or something similar had attacked it, but it survived, only to develop a terrible infection afterwards that may have led to its ultimate death. The specimen of note is also the holotype of Tarchia teresae, PIN 3142/250. This was discovered due to the researchers work on getting CT scans of the Mongolian ankylosaurids, to get a better understanding of their internal skull anatomy.

Edit: The paper mentions this was done a few hours away from me in a hospital in Philly. I think it's pretty cool to see something like this had been local to me.

Raptor Chatter did a video covering the material in the paper (which is how I found out about this, and had to come back and share):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j73fGQnb1Fc&t=19s
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

andrewsaurus rex

pretty interesting.  I think the intraspecific combat hypothesis unlikely, but the tyrannosaur bite is plausible, although you'd think that given where the puncture is,  there would be evidence of other tooth marks on the skull in the same general area.  For one tooth to puncture, you'd think other adjacent teeth would have left noticeable marks at the very least.

Has there been much thought given to the possibility that tyrannosaurs, and other theropods, relied on infection to kill their prey?  ie bite, back off and follow the prey until it dies from a host of nasty bacteria introduced into the wound by the tyrannosaur's saliva?  Not strictly speaking poisonous, but the next best thing.

Lynx

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on April 07, 2023, 04:58:37 PMpretty interesting.  I think the intraspecific combat hypothesis unlikely, but the tyrannosaur bite is plausible, although you'd think that given where the puncture is,  there would be evidence of other tooth marks on the skull in the same general area.  For one tooth to puncture, you'd think other adjacent teeth would have left noticeable marks at the very least.

Has there been much thought given to the possibility that tyrannosaurs, and other theropods, relied on infection to kill their prey?  ie bite, back off and follow the prey until it dies from a host of nasty bacteria introduced into the wound by the tyrannosaur's saliva?  Not strictly speaking poisonous, but the next best thing.

Any wound can get an infection, it's highly unlikely that their saliva would particularly be more deadly than any other predator. AFAIK Jurassic Fight Club brought up that theory
An oversized house cat.

Bread

Quote from: Lynx on April 07, 2023, 08:04:13 PM
Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on April 07, 2023, 04:58:37 PMHas there been much thought given to the possibility that tyrannosaurs, and other theropods, relied on infection to kill their prey?  ie bite, back off and follow the prey until it dies from a host of nasty bacteria introduced into the wound by the tyrannosaur's saliva?  Not strictly speaking poisonous, but the next best thing.

Any wound can get an infection, it's highly unlikely that their saliva would particularly be more deadly than any other predator. AFAIK Jurassic Fight Club brought up that theory

Yes avatar_Lynx @Lynx, I too think you are correct that JFC came up with that idea. I believe they compared it to the Komodo Dragon, which was then discovered that they do have a venomous gland in their lower jaw, so it really wasn't so much that the animal would die from bacteria more so that due to the Komodo Dragon's bite, the blood would not clot, making the animal bleed out to death.

Correct me if I am wrong, but bacterial infection by saliva has been disproven since JFC spread its misinformation. Of course, an animal can die due to infection/bacteria; however, the use of saliva holding tremendous amounts of bacteria lethal enough to kill a substantially large or bulky herbivore does not seem to be the truth. Plus, we have healed wounds from numerous prehistoric fauna, in which they did not die due to infection from "saliva filled with bacteria."

It's interesting to think about given, but more likely be the case that the therapod follows their prey due to tremendous blood loss and injury. Otherwise, attempts happen but not always do they come with success.

Halichoeres

If the Tarchia could talk, it might say, "You should see the other guy!"
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Carnoking

Just gave this a read, and although both suggestions as to the cause of the trauma are for the moment speculative, it still makes for some interesting food for thought.
The possibility of the injury being caused by bovine style headbutting adds fuel to the recent ideas of intraspecific combat in ankylosaurids while the idea that it could have been caused by a Tarbosaurus bite is yet another example of active predation in large Tyrannosaurs. Both very cool possibilities!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.