You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Daspletosaurus torosus skull shape?

Started by Concavenator, August 04, 2023, 07:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

So I noticed a... discrepancy (?) in the skull shape of the tyrannosaurid Daspletosaurus torosus. I've seen some reconstructions in which the lacrimal horns point forward, like these:

FMNH PR308

By Qianzhousaurus.

This is the reason why I sometimes have trouble telling it apart from Gorgosaurus.

But then, pretty much every skeletal that I stumble upon has different looking lacrimals, more like pointing upwards, somewhat similar to Allosaurus:

By Scott Hartman.

By randomdinos.

By Franoys.

Any explanation for this?

Sim

The ones with the forward-pointing horn are the unnamed Dinosaur Park Formation species of Daspletosaurus.  It has at least once been classified as Daspletosaurus torosus, but it is very different from it.  The others are Daspletosaurus torosus.

Concavenator

Ah, I see! Thank you avatar_Sim @Sim , that explains everything.  :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.