You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Stegotyranno's Collection (New Shelves)

Started by Stegotyranno420, October 11, 2022, 06:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kei

Beautiful collection Stego - I also love the format you have here  :)) Keep it up !

Stegotyranno420

I actually got this beautiful mammoth in January I think, so this just shows how lazy I am haha.

Species:Mammuthus primigenus
Etymology:From Russian Mamant, from a word for a mythical creature in the Mansi language in the Finno-Ugric family. Said to comprised of the words for earth and horn. Influenced by Behemoth, which is from Biblical Hebrew, perhaps a loan from an Kemetic word for hippopotamus. The species is essentially " primary genus/first kind"
Company:Safari Ltd/Wild Safari
Sculptor:Doug Watson
Scale:1:40-1:50(?)
Released:2004(?)
Aesthetic Rank:4
Accuracy Rank:5
Summary: This mammoth is not Safari's best figure, but it embodies everything I lobe about them. Easy to find, good price, high detail, scientific accuracy with an actual goal to educate children, and durability allowing for this sculpture to be embraced by children and adults alike.

TheCambrianCrusader

Huh never knew that's where the word mammoth originated from, awesome!

SidB

Here's a comparison shot, avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 , of your Safari with two Safari juveniles and the new TNG Wooly Mammoth at 1/35:

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: SidB on March 04, 2023, 03:05:46 PMHere's a comparison shot, avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 , of your Safari with two Safari juveniles and the new TNG Wooly Mammoth at 1/35:

Thanks, I actually think TNGs look like Manny from Ice Age

Halichoeres

So were you able to find this one in person? At your local Michael's perhaps?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 06, 2023, 12:58:02 AMSo were you able to find this one in person? At your local Michael's perhaps?
Yep, most of my most recent figures are found in person at michaels. Target has eradicated their battat models so michaels is the sole area. I usually get an online figure for my birthday.
I have been anticipating the Mesozoic Life Spinosaurus for years at this point, but if Pnso releases a large sauropod I might get it, even thoug I am sculpting my own. If none of that happens, probably will just get the Giganotosaurus. I want to expand on my favorites before getting more types of dinosaurs that are not exactly my favorites. I guess in a few years my collection will start to evolve to be more like others. I have came a long way from my first days here when i had nothing but Boley  ;D

Faelrin

Congrats on getting that classic. That was one of my first Safari Ltd figures added to my collection. And yes got it at Michael's too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Stegotyranno420

I have reorganized the shelves into the following groups-

sauropoda
theropoda
ornithischia
non-dinosaurs

Some figurines I wish to get at some point, in order of wish

1. Mesozoic Life Spinosaurus
2. PNSO Mapusaurus
3. CollectA Ruyangosaurus
4. GR Carcharodontosaurus
5. PNSO lingwulong
6. Eofauna Atlasaurus
7. PNSO Stegosaurus
8. PNSO Tuojiangasaurus
9. PNSO Deinocheirus

Halichoeres

Hmm, that list needs more non-dinosaurs...  ;)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 12, 2023, 08:22:33 PMHmm, that list needs more non-dinosaurs...  ;)
Theres gotta be alot of good figures aswell  ;)
Anyways, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres here would be my list for that
1.Safari Inostravencia
2.Safari scutosaurus
3. safari postosuchus(i know its outdated but it is impeccably sculpted)
4.Carnegie dimetrodon/collecta Edaphosaurus
5. schleich Dunkleosteus(for customization while i keep safaris aestheticallh superior Dunkleosteus for nostalgia)
I would like to see a
Erythrosuchus
prionosuchus
Fasolasuchus
Shonisaurus
Cymbospondylus
Konzhukovia
Rhizodus

Stegotyranno420

Species:Triceratops horridus
Etymology:From Greek "τρι-" meaning three. A common word that is similar in every IE language, it is a numeral after all, from PIE *treyes. κερο- is a more interesting term, meaning horn. From PIE * k`rn [crn] related to English horn [k>x>h], Latin cornis( as in unicorn or C.naiscornsis) and Aryan śrnga[c>tś>ś] as in Shringasaurus. -όπως means face or eyes, and is from PIE (h)okws[?ak(w)s] meaning Eyes. Greek, Latin, Celtic and Germanic all have a tendency to turn kw/cw into p, and it shift back and forth and is analogous in voiced variants. In the more conservative Aryan branch, it is akṣa, and  ak(k)ha in modern Aryan. Horridus, the specific name, is Latin for horrid, coming from a verb meaning to become stiffened in suprise, excitement, shock or horror
Company:Safari Ltd/Wild Safari
Sculptor:Doug Watson
Scale:1:35-40
Released:2018
Aesthetic Rank:5
Summary: My second Safari figure since the trips from 2021. I think it is the best, and likely the most accurate figure of the genus/species. It is muscular and natural. The stature produces an aura of power, a vibe of a beast of primal days striding normally yet exerting so much power. Triceratops was always a special dinosaur with me. I assume everyone loves Triceratops. Before my brother started to favor Stegosaurus, his favorite of the Triceratops genus. But after constantly seeing Triceratops just being shown as Tyrannosaurus fodder, he decided to become a Stegosaurist, which eventually led to me becoming a stegosaurist. Speaking of Stegosaurus and Triceratops, he is not a fan of the Jurassic World Stegoceratops concept, as he found it wierd, but still more exotic than the Indominus rex. I for one think they should have gone with ghe former, or even a Stegosaurus+Tyrannosaurus hybrid to show drastic difference(hybrids are just cool for a quick movie, but I am glad they stepped away from that after seeing what it did to the next generation of dinosaur fans. Coming back to the figure, I think this is peak Safari, and one of theirz if not, the best figure of their company. Much respect to the sculptor, Doug Watson.

SidB

Fascinating explanation of the linguistic origins and ramifications of the binomial nomenclature, avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 . Agreed that Doug Watson's figure is and remains the best on the mass market.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on April 12, 2023, 09:59:08 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on April 12, 2023, 08:22:33 PMHmm, that list needs more non-dinosaurs...  ;)
Anyways, @Halichoeres here would be my list for that
1.Safari Inostravencia
2.Safari scutosaurus
5. schleich Dunkleosteus(for customization while i keep safaris aestheticallh superior Dunkleosteus for nostalgia)
I would like to see a
Erythrosuchus
prionosuchus
Fasolasuchus
Shonisaurus
Cymbospondylus
Konzhukovia
Rhizodus

Now THAT's a good list.

That's also a great Triceratops. I only recently rescued mine from a box in a closet, so now it stands proud on the shelf where it belongs.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 17, 2023, 07:44:36 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on April 12, 2023, 09:59:08 PM
Anyways, @Halichoeres here would be my list for that
1.Safari Inostravencia
2.Safari scutosaurus
I would like to see a
Erythrosuchus
prionosuchus
Fasolasuchus
Shonisaurus
Cymbospondylus
Konzhukovia
Rhizodus

Now THAT's a good list.

That's also a great Triceratops. I only recently rescued mine from a box in a closet, so now it stands proud on the shelf where it belongs.
Just wait until we get to the invertebrates  ;)

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Craw1999 on May 03, 2023, 09:41:44 AMWow, I love your collection. I just start to collect dino toys last year. However, my collection is not too diversity.
Thanks. Remember as time goes on, collections get bigger

Stegotyranno420

Species: Mapusaurus rosae, temporary stand in for Giganotosaurus carolini
Etymology: [remind me later] Probably related to Mapuche tribe endonym, +sauros
Company:PNSO
Sculptor:Zhao Chuang
Scale:1:35-40
Released:2023
Aesthetic Rank:5
Summary: PNSO's best figure so far. All of the memorable and manifold qualities of the company can be observed in this figurine. The hulking, robust yet constrained form of the beast is adorned in lifelike scales. This is my second PNSO figure, and I got it in 2023 in June as an early Birthday gift. There is nothing lacksluster with this figure. As you may have noticed, this is nearly identical to my review of the Acrocanthosaurus. They are equally beautiful and well made. Originally I wanted to get the Mesozoic life Spinosaurus but we all know how that is. Then I was hoping for some nice sauropods from PNSO, haolonggood was an option but i settled for the slightly cheaper Mapusaurus. Nonetheless I am extremely impressed with the dynamic pose. Ot looks like a resin kit.
[will add more high quality pics soon]

Halichoeres

"Mapu" is Mapuche for "earth." Happy (early?) birthday!

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 02, 2023, 11:37:20 PM"Mapu" is Mapuche for "earth." Happy (early?) birthday!
Oh yes, I remember now. I suppose there is a affinity with Mapuche and mapu- (similar to earthling and earth?).

Also, thanks. I will turn 16 tomorrow :))

Stegotyranno420

Haven't had much to to post new entries, edit them or move them into O.P.
But I did update the wishlist on first page.

1. Mesozoic Life Spinosaurus
2. PNSO Y. magnus
3. PNSO Saurophaganax
4.  PNSO new Spinosaurus?
5. PNSO Tuojiangasaurus
6. PNSO Alamosaurus (would be hugher but likely to expensive, and i prefer diplodocids)
7. Haolongood Dacentrurus
8. CollectA Ruyangosaurus

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: