News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Genndy Tartakovsky's "PRIMAL" Season 2 Spoiler Thread

Started by GojiraGuy1954, August 07, 2022, 10:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

Quote from: HD-man on September 18, 2022, 10:42:51 PMI'll say here that s2ep4 is definitely my favorite s2 ep, maybe my favorite overall.

Shadow of Fate wins it for me. Exploring the hidden cost behind Spear and Fang's friendship added a whole new dimension to their bond.

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 18, 2022, 11:20:47 PMThe Primal Theory should have been a halloween special to help the transition from mainline Primal to S3's anthology format

The more I think about The Primal Theory, the more its importance to the overall narrative rings true to me. Not only was the theory perfectly displayed through the savage deaths of Spear's father
Spoiler
and then Spear himself
[close]
but it also adds a little extra context to the show's otherwise mindless violence.

That being said, its placement in the larger series is odd. I think they should have kicked off the season with that episode. As is, placing it between the destruction of the village/start of the chief's quest for vengeance and that first confrontation with our heroes really interrupts the flow of the story. I get the thought process, seeing Spear butcher an entire village of men, women, the elderly, and infants might negatively color our perception of him, so they threw in that episode to give us a break and essentially tell us that every violent thing Spear ever did was in the name of survival, not malice. Still though, it's a jarring departure given its placement in the larger story.

HD-man

I recently found out about Emily Stepp's version of Fang ( https://www.deviantart.com/emilystepp/art/Fang-Speed-Paint-926673101 ). As far as I've seen, it's the best compromise btwn making Fang scientifically accurate as a tyrannosaurid & making her recognizable as a character. I'd like to see a similar version of Spear:
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Blade-of-the-Moon

So I just finished the last episode.

Spoiler

The most obvious thing to me was that that whole final battle did feel too rushed. I knew there was no way they could win as is, but kind of figured maybe Mira's moon god would help them.  Wasn't our damned Viking leader supposed to kill both Spear and Fang to free his son's soul and get revenge ? ( never understood how his son ended up there anyway when he did die in battle or him for that matter..pulled away from the Valkyries. ) it's like he was close to finishing them off only to be pulled away? I can't figure why?

Did Mira really not know how he felt about her after all he done? Seemed to be a surprise or at least she had never considered it before.

Her "preservation" of his line was a daring move and handled well I thought.

That scene of of Fang crashing through the wall to Spear's house gave me Spike joining the sleeping group from Land Before Time, very cute.

I would also have liked to see more of a progression after Spear died, him being remembered, his daughter growing up with Fang and her little ones. Was it needed? No. But all the same.

[close]

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/primal-genndy-tartakovsky-confirms-spear-fang-end/?fbclid=IwAR1gAMtvlU2cbYs-eyJ9Xj57fUosyJOHFdJdr4yRZ6Ji60i7xw_KiZb-WqY

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 20, 2022, 05:04:21 AM
Spoiler
Wasn't our damned Viking leader supposed to kill both Spear and Fang to free his son's soul and get revenge ?
[close]
Spoiler
Mr. Vidarr / Satan / whatever never wanted to help Eldar get revenge on Spear & Fang, just convince him to sell him his soul under the pretense of retribution. That's why as soon as Spear is mortally wounded he's dragged back to hell.
[close]
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 20, 2022, 04:53:43 PM
Spoiler
Wasn't our damned Viking leader supposed to kill both Spear and Fang to free his son's soul and get revenge ?
[close]
Spoiler
Mr. Vidarr / Satan / whatever never wanted to help Eldar get revenge on Spear & Fang, just convince him to sell him his soul under the pretense of retribution. That's why as soon as Spear is mortally wounded he's dragged back to hell.
[close]

But he didn't? Not really? I mean Fang was fine, Spear did die but not immediately. Just was over FAST. There wasn't even any confirmation that the contract if you can call it that was completed. Still never explained how that whole series of events really was able to occur?

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 20, 2022, 07:33:29 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 20, 2022, 04:53:43 PM
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

But he didn't? Not really? I mean Fang was fine, Spear did die but not immediately. Just was over FAST. There wasn't even any confirmation that the contract if you can call it that was completed. Still never explained how that whole series of events really was able to occur?

Spoiler
I mean he's an all powerful demigod of Hell i think he knew that Spear was done
[close]
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Gwangi

Finally watched season 2 of Primal. Some thoughts...

Spoiler
I rather miss the format and setting of the first season. The monster-of-the-week episodes, the primitive fantasy world that mixed dinosaurs and monsters. The world of season 2 felt comparatively grounded and modern, and focused on human societies instead of creatures. And I get that that's the point. Spear and Fang are dying breeds, their world is giving way to another. And I still liked the overall aesthetic for what it was, I just wanted more of what we got in the first season. 

The story overall was captivating, intense, emotionally gripping, and gut-wrenching. I was VERY invested in Spear, Fang, and Mira's story. I knew that season 2 would finish Fang and Spear's story and that an all around happy ending was unlikely. That left me feeling anxious throughout the series. Fang and Spear are now two of my favorite characters in animation, and for characters that didn't speak, that says something.

I agree with avatar_suspsy @suspsy, I felt little empathy for the Viking clan wiped out by Spear and Fang. Spear was only there to save Mira, he would have happily walked off with her out of that village without shedding any blood. THEY confronted HIM, and he acted accordingly. If these slave traders were more concerned with self preservation instead of losing their slaves, they could have just went separate ways. And it's hard to feel empathy for slave traders, they had it coming.

Episode 2 was my favorite of the season, and also one of the most gutwrenching. I loved watching Fang and her mate interact like they did. And watching Fang lose her mate was far sadder for me than watching Fang and Spear wipe out an entire village.

I didn't like The Primal Theory. Should I re-watch the season in the future I may very well skip it. I didn't need it to tell me that humans can revert back to their primitive nature if pushed far enough, I can see that on the news any day of the week.

The ending felt rushed. As the episodes ticked by I kept thinking, "how are they going to wrap this up in time" and the answer to that was to just rush it. I would have liked a happy ending for Spear but I'm not surprised that he didn't really get one. I'm surprised that Fang survived.

And I'm sorry but the ending had me laughing uncontrollably. Not at first, but once the realization of what happened sank in. That this charred, dying caveman still had enough life to *preform* was just too much. I really think that scene should have occurred the night before, or at some other time. Not on Spear's deathbed.

Overall, Primal is one of the best animated shows I've ever seen. And although I would have liked to had more of what we got in season one the overall show was still incredibly well told and thought provoking. I wish we could have had another season or two of adventures with Fang and Spear but I'm eager to see what the future holds for the world that Primal built. Fang and Spear were the heart of the show but I trust that there are other compelling stories to be told about other characters. 
[close]

Halichoeres

This show sounds intriguing, but it seems to be one of the few CN shows not on Hulu. I don't know if I want to see it bad enough to subscribe to HBO Max.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 01, 2023, 08:42:35 PMThis show sounds intriguing, but it seems to be one of the few CN shows not on Hulu. I don't know if I want to see it bad enough to subscribe to HBO Max.

I believe the first episode is available to watch free on the Adult Swim website.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on January 01, 2023, 10:17:26 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 01, 2023, 08:42:35 PMThis show sounds intriguing, but it seems to be one of the few CN shows not on Hulu. I don't know if I want to see it bad enough to subscribe to HBO Max.

I believe the first episode is available to watch free on the Adult Swim website.

Quite so! Thank you for that. I tried it out and it was an engrossing watch.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 04, 2023, 09:19:25 PM

You're welcome. Think you'll watch the rest of it?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on January 04, 2023, 09:35:35 PM

The rest of the episodes require a cable subscription login, which I don't have, so probably not unless it ends up on a streaming platform. It's cool but not cool enough to make me get a cable subscription!

Carnoking

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 05, 2023, 03:26:16 PM

The rest of the episodes require a cable subscription login, which I don't have, so probably not unless it ends up on a streaming platform. It's cool but not cool enough to make me get a cable subscription!

I've noticed they tend to unlock episodes on a rolling basis. I had to wait several weeks to catch Shadow of Fate in the second season since I didn't get around to recording it but it eventually unlocked. Not sure how that works with there being two seasons now but maybe soon they'll have more of the first season available.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Carnoking on January 05, 2023, 03:44:51 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 05, 2023, 03:26:16 PM

I've noticed they tend to unlock episodes on a rolling basis. I had to wait several weeks to catch Shadow of Fate in the second season since I didn't get around to recording it but it eventually unlocked. Not sure how that works with there being two seasons now but maybe soon they'll have more of the first season available.

Oh, good to know. Thanks for the tip, I'll check back periodically.

dragon53

PRIMAL---Adult Swim renewed the series for Season 3.

Gwangi

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on June 16, 2023, 06:59:36 PMPRIMAL---Adult Swim renewed the series for Season 3.

They'd be..well ignorant to do so. It's one of their highest rated shows.

Carnoking

Wonder if it will be a continuation of the same story or a new focus entirely.

HD-man

Quote from: HD-man on September 18, 2022, 10:42:51 PMBTW, since I didn't post in this thread earlier, I'll say here that s2ep4 is definitely my favorite s2 ep, maybe my favorite overall.

I've been re-watching Primal in the form of Dashie Li's reactions (featuring Fatman: https://www.patreon.com/DashieLi/posts?filters%5Btag%5D=PRIMAL ). She recently posted her s2ep4 reaction, so I figured I'd share my thoughts here too:

-I think Fang falling through the roof right after her dramatic entrance is an especially good example of what Fatman said about ep3 ("I love how they can make something so[...]deeply emotional, but[...]at the same time so funny").

-IDK for sure, but I can't help thinking that Spear's thinking (when surrounded), "WTF is wrong w/these ppl bringing their kids here?" That + stopping Spear & Fang from leaving makes me think that, slavers or not, they had it coming based on their lack of self-preservation :P

-Can't help but always laugh at the kid getting backhanded :)) It reminds me of Dolph Ziggler's selling: www.youtube.com/shorts/Zu6jBW-RXpc

-This ep as a whole reminds me of when Rick & Morty say, "Damn, feels kinda good when there's no guilt, huh?[...]Yeah, it's... It's like in "star wars."[...]Yeah, just like in "star wars." Go nuts!" In this case, it's not just kinda good, but really good: For 1, those being killed are slavers (& thus, as irredeemably monstrous as it gets, right up there w/nazis); For another, to quote Peacemaker, Spear & Fang look "dope as f***" while killing them ;) That's why it's my favorite.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: