News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Oldest Dinosaur Ever! (Maybe)

Started by ZoPteryx, December 06, 2012, 02:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Pretty cool find! :)  Who knows what's lurking in other museum drawers.

http://news.yahoo.com/earliest-known-dinosaur-discovered-000536001.html

Takama

Balaur

Splonkadumpocus

And just when we thought we could safely say dinosaurs originated in South America, too. Oh well, if East Africa is good enough for us it's good enough for dinosaurs too.

Also, since the definition of Dinosauria is either Triceratops + Aves or Megalosaurus + Iguanodon, Nyasasaurus would by definition need to be within Saurischia or Ornithischia or it's a basal dinosauriform instead. I wonder which one it is.

Jetoar

In two diffrent museums  ^-^ but the problem have finished  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

ZoPteryx

As always, it seems Wikipedia has the most info on strange prehistoric critters, and a cool chart: :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyasasaurus

Quote from: Splonkadumpocus on December 06, 2012, 07:37:17 AM
Also, since the definition of Dinosauria is either Triceratops + Aves or Megalosaurus + Iguanodon, Nyasasaurus would by definition need to be within Saurischia or Ornithischia or it's a basal dinosauriform instead. I wonder which one it is.

Well, both definitions also say "and their last common ancestor", so maybe this is it. ^-^

wings

... Also, since the definition of Dinosauria is either Triceratops + Aves or Megalosaurus + Iguanodon, Nyasasaurus would by definition need to be within Saurischia or Ornithischia or it's a basal dinosauriform instead. I wonder which one it is.
This is the actual paper of the animal (http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/9/1/20120949.full.pdf). Basically we didn't have enough to tell whether this animal is sitting within the Dinosauria as one of the earliest member or just outside of it. The timing seems really close to the base of dinosauria and also its location is the same as Asilisaurus's (which is considered one of closes Dinosauriformes to the Dinosauria group). The characteristics that unites Nyasasaurus as an "early dinosaur" are the shape of the deltoid crest on the upper arm, three sacral vertebrae, and the cavities on the side of the neck vertebrae that is similar to theropods, however as noted the exact placement is uncertain from the current study. Probably I find from reading the paper, one of the biggest problem is that we really have no idea what are some of the primitive features of early ornithischians. Is Nyasasaurus general enough to be their (saurischians and ornithischians) ancestor?

SBell

And just when we thought we could safely say dinosaurs originated in South America, too. Oh well, if East Africa is good enough for us it's good enough for dinosaurs too.

Africa and South America were essentially the same continent at the time. So nothing really changed on that front.

IHogaRok

I saw this oldest dinosaur thing a while ago. Its pretty interesting.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.