You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Tucson Gem and Mineral Show, January 2024

Started by Splonkadumpocus, January 28, 2024, 12:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splonkadumpocus

So I just went to Tucson's annual gem, mineral and fossil showcase and got some good fossil photos; here's what they had this year.

Part 1

Part 2

Newt

Wow, there's some really cool stuff there! Did you take anything home with you?

Splonkadumpocus

I didn't get any fossils, but the Black Hills Institute did have some otherwise hard-to-find figures available and I came away with a Safari Qianzhousaurus and a Papo cave bear.

Reuben03

that mosasaur is beautiful. Id love to know how old it is and to get a species ID

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Splonkadumpocus

I don't know the species, but I believe it's from the Maastrichtian of Morocco.

Halichoeres

I grew up in Tucson, and it never occurred to me that not every town has such a spectacular showcase for fossils. One of the very few things I miss about living there.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bmathison1972

I met Robert Bakker at the Tucson Gem and Mineral show in the early 2000s  ;D
He was sketching fossils that were sold by/for private dealers...uggh. I remember him telling me that a lot of the 'good stuff' is in private hands and not museums accessible to researchers like himself.

Halichoeres

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 02, 2024, 05:54:33 PMI met Robert Bakker at the Tucson Gem and Mineral show in the early 2000s  ;D
He was sketching fossils that were sold by/for private dealers...uggh. I remember him telling me that a lot of the 'good stuff' is in private hands and not museums accessible to researchers like himself.

Yeah, it's shocking what gets sold to private collectors.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

Thanks for sharing avatar_Splonkadumpocus @Splonkadumpocus, some interesting plesiosaur specimens this year! Was there any information about their provenance that you may have noted, especially the two complete skeletons?

thomasw100

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 06, 2024, 01:06:39 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 02, 2024, 05:54:33 PMI met Robert Bakker at the Tucson Gem and Mineral show in the early 2000s  ;D

Yeah, it's shocking what gets sold to private collectors.

What is truly shocking is that governments have no money to spend any more on science and museums. They have to spend it on funding wars and the weapons industry.