You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric animals that need a scientific name

Started by Sim, January 29, 2020, 11:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

There's supposedly an undescribed very large abelisaur from the Maastrichtian of Kenya that's awaiting a name. Some data were presented at SVP in 2013, but I'm not sure there's been any progress on it since then. The abstract is here: https://web.archive.org/web/20131029193314/http://vertpaleo.org/PDFS/0d/0d20d609-f7e6-4bb3-a0c4-765fcffde49b.pdf
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

Mjusimkubwa mtukufu( Noble big lizard in Swahili, a Kenyan language)
If thats too complicated, how about
Kenyanivenator Major

austrosaurus

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on May 15, 2021, 01:40:02 AM
Mjusimkubwa mtukufu( Noble big lizard in Swahili, a Kenyan language)
If thats too complicated, how about
Kenyanivenator Major

Honestly I really like Mjusimkubwa, a lot of of new southern hemisphere species have been getting names based on native languages and while they might be a bit of a handful sometimes, I think they're really beautiful and a lot better than the same few Latin or Greek prefixes and suffixes getting shuffled around hundreds of times.

Stegotyranno420

Thats why I love azhdarchids, they made me find out that the Persians, and eventually my own culture, had some neat dragons in them.(note I'm only referring to earlier ones that evolved into mine, rather than mine itself)
I also love the name Nqwebasaurus. You may see a small theropod, but I see a partial unity of humanity in it. Especially love how it clicks(literally, it should actually be spelled like N!basaurus, the ! means a clicking noise often Anglisced as KWE), which is a feature of many African languages

ITdactyl

My vote's for:

• Quetzalcoatlus sp. - King of the forever place-holder name despite being the basis for all pop reconstructions of its giant, erm, cousin.
  • The Hell Creek azhdarchid - is it Quetzalcoatlus sp. or something else? (despite all the available literature, it was only this year that I'd realized Q.northropi is a southern beastie and its fossils have not been found in Hell Creek)
  • The Lancian "Tapejarid" - the snout fossil that is the source of the old blunt nosed Quetzalcoatlus reconstructions

Sim

I've added the Horseshoe Canyon Formation "Struthiomimus" and the giant "Sinosauropteryx".

Sim

Sim

I've removed Quetzalcoatlus lawsoni from the list now that it's been named.  Its entry from the list is quoted below:
QuoteQuetzalcoatlus sp.
Image: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Quetzalcoatlus_sp.jpg
Comments: Could represent young specimens of Quetzalcoatlus northropi or could be a new species.

Sim

I've added two new entries to the list, intermediate "Bagaceratops" and new protoceratopsid.

VD231991

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on February 03, 2020, 03:12:49 PMWould Struthiomimus/Ornithomimus sedens from the Hell Creek Formation be another one? I'm not sure if this is just a controversy about which genus it belongs to or if it might fall outside either genus. Either way, it seems likely it will eventually get a new genus name.
The specimen BHI 1266 was referred to as Struthiomimus cf. sedens by Carrano (1998) and used by Farlow (2001) to refer Ornithomimus sedens to Struthiomimus without comment. One paper by van der Reest et al. (2016) recommends treating BHI 1266 as Ornithomimus sp. pending further study, and I agree that Farlow (2001) did not explain why he referred BHI 1266 to sedens (the supplementary info of the paper by Nottrodt 2022 tabulates the referral of BHI 1266 to Ornithomimus sedens as being questionable). The specimen LACM 47520 contain pelvic and hindlimb elements overlapping with those of USNM 4736 (holotype of Ornithomimus sedens), BHI 1266, UCMP 154569, and TMP 1998.026.1, so it is unclear whether BHI 1266 and USNM 4736 are distinct taxa or if LACM 47520 is the same taxon as BHI 1266 but not the O. sedens holotype.

Carrano, 1998. The evolution of dinosaur locomotion: Functional morphology, biomechanics, and modern analogs. PhD thesis. The University of Chicago. 424 pp.

Farlow, 2001. Acrocanthosaurus and the maker of Comanchean large-theropod footprints. pp. 408-427. In Tanke, Carpenter, Skrepnick and Currie (eds). Mesozoic Vertebrate Life: New Research Inspired by the Paleontology of Philip J. Currie. Bloomington, IN: University of Indiana Press.

Nottrodt, R.E., 2022. First articulated ornithomimid specimens from the upper Maastrichtian Scollard Formation of Alberta, Canada. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 41 (5): e2019754. doi:10.1080/02724634.2021.2019754.

van der Reest, A.J., Wolfe, A.P., and Currie, P.J., 2016. A densely feathered ornithomimid (Dinosauria: Theropoda) from the Upper Cretaceous Dinosaur Park Formation, Alberta, Canada. Cretaceous Research 58: 108–117. doi:10.1016/j.cretres.2015.10.004.

Sim

Furcatoceratops has now been named and it comes off the list! :)  Below is the entry it had:

Quote"Avaceratops" new species
Images can be seen here: https://rmdrc.blogspot.com/2015/09/please-welcome-new-avaceratops.html
Comments: A possible new species of Avaceratops.

Sim

I've added the El Nerets titanosaur to the list!

Sim

I've added the unnamed Velociraptor species to the list in the first post!

Sim

Sim

I've removed Struthiomimus sedens from the list as there seems to be agreement on its genus.  Its entry is quoted below:

Quote"Ornithomimus"/"Struthiomimus" sedens
Image: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Struthiomimus_altus.JPG
Another image: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Struthiomimus.JPG
Comments: This has been referred to as both a species of Ornithomimus and Struthiomimus and there's a lack of agreement on which genus it belongs to.  It may belong to a different genus.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.