News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2012 - A Year of Palaeontology

Started by Balaur, December 27, 2012, 07:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balaur

I've been wanting to do this for the end of every year, so lets get started with the great discoveries in palaeontology in 2012.
Yutyrannus
Sciurumimus
Feathered dinosaur of North America (Ornithomimus)
Pegomastax
Xenoceratops
Obamadon
Pygmy Right Whale - A living fossil

List a list of your favourite discoveries in palaeontology this year, and which one you think is the coolest.

I choose Sciurumimus as my favourite discovery of this year.

amargasaurus cazaui

For me it would have to be Pegomastax Africanus, I think it was an awesome find. Amazed he had that piece so long before he finally published on it !!! Just an amazing little dinosaur
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Balaur

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 27, 2012, 09:34:16 PM
For me it would have to be Pegomastax Africanus, I think it was an awesome find. Amazed he had that piece so long before he finally published on it !!! Just an amazing little dinosaur

I agree with you too, Pegomastax is cool too. Because of that, here's my list.

1. Sciurumimus - first feathered carnosaur
2. Yutyrannus - first large feathered tyrannosaur
3. First fossil of a feathered Ornithomimus in North America.
4. Pegomastax - little dinosaur found 30 years ago and just published in the literature this year
5. Xenoceratops - oldest Canadian horned ceratopsian
6. Pygmy right whale - living fossil
7. Obamadon - Obama's lizard relative.

ZoPteryx

My favorites this year have been Sciurumimus, Yutyrannus, Ichthyovenator, and learning the colors of Microraptor! :)

Takama

Yutyrannus i think is this years most majour discovery.   It proves that Large dinosaurs are featherd for sure, and it was not all speculation based on smaller reletives.

Balaur

Quote from: Zopteryx on December 28, 2012, 03:25:51 AM
My favorites this year have been Sciurumimus, Yutyrannus, Ichthyovenator, and learning the colors of Microraptor! :)

Microraptor, I forgot about that! I have to place it in 4 then. And I forgot about Ichthyovenator, the most appropriately named spinosaur ever.

Patrx

It's been a good year for feathers, that's for sure. In my opinion, the most important discoveries this year are the ornithomimid wing impressions (proof that feathers can be preserved outside of Lagerstätten, if one knows what to look for; hopefully paving the way for the discovery of further direct evidence of feathers in North American Mesozoic dinosaurs. A close second would be the discovery of Sciurumimus  :D

Also, not quite a discovery, but the publication of "All Yesterdays" kind of seems like a turning point for palaeoart.

Splonkadumpocus

Don't forget the stolen Tarbosaurus that almost got auctioned off.

Balaur

Quote from: Splonkadumpocus on January 04, 2013, 12:13:17 AM
Don't forget the stolen Tarbosaurus that almost got auctioned off.

I usually don't remember such dark moments.  :))

That was sad. That was really sad.

Splonkadumpocus

ajax

Great picture ^^, Papo or Wild Safari should make a Xenoceratops just like that next year.

ZoPteryx

I've always liked those charts.  I do see one problem though, Darwinsaurus hasn't been described or officially announced yet. ::)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.