News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Leyster's Collection (updated 29/03/24)

Started by Leyster, February 27, 2021, 02:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leyster

avatar_Bread @Bread I'm afraid I do not know enough of sea reptiles to give you an informed opinion, I'm quite sure avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum answered this question in some other thread?

Binomial name: Huayangosaurus taibaii Dong, Tang, and Zhou, 1982
Classification:Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Genasauria->Thyreophora->Stegosauria->Huayangosauridae?*
Time: Bathonian-Callovian (middle Jurassic)
Formation: Xiashaximiao/Lower Shaximiao Formation (present-day China)
Manifacturer and date of release: Kaiyodo, 2006
Sculptor: Seishi Yamamoto
Scale: 1:41

*is this even a clade?
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Leyster on February 13, 2024, 05:17:05 PMavatar_Bread @Bread I'm afraid I do not know enough of sea reptiles to give you an informed opinion, I'm quite sure avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum answered this question in some other thread?

Here's what I said of the Kronosaurus when it was first revealed.
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9130.msg292198#msg292198

I'd add, based on the photograph in this thread, that the nostrils look like they are positioned far too anteriorly, as in the mostly fabricated Harvard specimen of Kronosaurus/Eiectus...whatever you want to call it. In fact, Kronosaurus has a relatively unusually proportioned skull (image here) that's quite different from other pliosaurs, and different from historical and popular depictions of Kronosaurus.

I still don't have the PNSO Kronosaurus myself.

Pliosaurking

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 13, 2024, 05:51:40 PM
Quote from: Leyster on February 13, 2024, 05:17:05 PMavatar_Bread @Bread I'm afraid I do not know enough of sea reptiles to give you an informed opinion, I'm quite sure avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum answered this question in some other thread?

Here's what I said of the Kronosaurus when it was first revealed.
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9130.msg292198#msg292198

I'd add, based on the photograph in this thread, that the nostrils look like they are positioned far too anteriorly, as in the mostly fabricated Harvard specimen of Kronosaurus/Eiectus...whatever you want to call it. In fact, Kronosaurus has a relatively unusually proportioned skull (image here) that's quite different from other pliosaurs, and different from historical and popular depictions of Kronosaurus.

I still don't have the PNSO Kronosaurus myself.
What kronosaurus do you think is the best on the market right now? The safari, collecta, or (I'm aussming not this figure) PNSO's?

Halichoeres

On the subject of theropod tongues, I wonder if people thinking about spinosaurs are just more likely to notice the hazards of a long tongue in a long, narrow snout where it could be easily punctured if misaligned.

That Huayangosaurus is delightful. Always glad to see Dinotales turning up in people's collections.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Leyster

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I agree, they even gave it the distintive Huayangosaurus triangular head!

Binomial name: Edmontonia rugosidens (Gilmore, 1930)
Classification: Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Genasauria->Thyreophora->Ankylosauria->Nodosauridae->Panoplosaurini
Time: Campanian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: Dinosaur Park Formation (present-day USA)
Manifacturer and date of release: Battat, 1996
Sculptor: Dan LoRusso
Scale: 1:25 for TMP 1998.98.1

Another Battat off the list, thanks to avatar_brettnj @brettnj

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

triceratops83

I think I still prefer the Battat Edmontonia over the new Haolonggood one.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Takama

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 18, 2024, 12:10:37 AMI think I still prefer the Battat Edmontonia over the new Haolonggood one.

Arent they both based on two diffrent Species?

Battat = rugosidens

Haolonggood = longiceps?

triceratops83

Quote from: Takama on February 18, 2024, 02:00:19 AMArent they both based on two diffrent Species?
Battat = rugosidens
Haolonggood = longiceps?

Beats me, I can't tell them apart. I just think the Battat has a lot of charm.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Leyster

avatar_triceratops83 @triceratops83 I agree with the Battat having a lot of charm. I only wish the legs weren't so stubby and more like the Euoplocephalus ones but oh well

Binomial name: Tyrannosaurus rex Osborn 1905
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Tyrannosauroidea->Tyrannosauridae->Tyrannosaurinae
Time: Maastrichtian (late Cretaceous)
Formation: Hell Creek Formation, Lance Formation, Frenchman Formation (present day USA and Canada)
Manifacturer and date of release: Qualia, 2023
Sculptor: ?
Scale: 1:70 for FMNH PR 2081

Not a genus that needs good representation, to be honest, but quite a nice Tyrannosaurus sculpture.

triceratops83

Yeah, that's quite a nice little Tyrannosaurus. I like the lizardy colouration around the mouth.

Leyster

avatar_triceratops83 @triceratops83 yes it's a charming little Tyrannosaurus  ^-^

Binomial name: Zuul crurivastator Arbour & Evans, 2017
Classification: Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Genasauria->Thyreophora->Ankylosauria->Ankylosauridae->Ankylosaurinae
Time: Campanian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: Judith River Formation (present-day Canada)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2023
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:32

SidB

L @Leyster , apart from the matter of coloration, how would you assess the accuracy of this Zuul compared to the Safari model?

Halichoeres

Definitely one of PNSO's highlights from last year.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Leyster

S @SidB I do not own the Safari and afaik another person is gonna review the PNSO for Paleo-Nerd, so I don't want to spoil their work... afaik Zuul's body is currently undescribed so it's kind of hard to say. The PNSO looks it has a smaller head than the Safari which looks more accurate since Zuul is said to be expecially pinhead for an ankylosaur as far as I remember.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres It's nice!

Binomial name: Eusthenopteron foordi Whiteaves, 1881
Classification: Tetrapodomorpha->Tristichopteridae
Time: Frasnian (Late Devonian)
Formation: escuminac Formation (present-day USA)
Manifacturer and date of release: Kaiyodo, 2006
Sculptor: Eiichiro Matsumoto
Scale: 1:13-1:20

SidB

Thanks, L @Leyster , that's good enough for now, then.

Leyster

Binomial name: "Mamenchisaurus"* hochuanensis Young & Zhao, 1972
Classification: Dinosauria->Sauropodomorpha->Bagualosauria->Massopoda->Sauropodiformes->Sauropoda->Eusauropoda->Mamenchisauridae
Time: Oxfordian (Late Jurassic)
Formation: Shangshaximiao/Upper Shaximiao Formation (present day China)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2021
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:42 for the holotype

*Mamenchisaurus is probably not a monophyletic genus and neither is the hochuanensis species.

One of the most beautiful PNSOs imho. Great work on the muscolature and it has a smooth elegance which reminds me of the Battats.

Leyster

Binomial name: FPDM-V coll Spinosaurid, Hattori & Azuma 2020
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Carnosauria->Spinosauridae
Time: Barremian? Aptian? (Early Cretaceous)
Formation: Kitadani Formation (present-day Japan)
Manifacturer and date of release: Qualia, 2023
Sculptor: ?
Scale: I do not scale tooth taxons!

Concavenator

Interesting how many club-tailed sauropod figures are nowadays the so-called Mamenchisaurus hochuanensis (CollectA, PNSO, Haolonggood) and how little attention the Shunosaurus genus tends to receive by comparison. I guess size matters, after all.  ;D

Also, I recall you said you were hoping for another (in addition to CollectA's) version of the post-2020 Dilophosaurus. What do you think of Haolonggood's? Does the short torso bother you?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.