News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Blackdanter's Collection - Finally Coming Out Of The Loft.

Started by Blackdanter, December 06, 2023, 04:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackdanter

Hi All,

After ten odd years languishing in the loft, I've finally started the process of bringing some of the collection down to place in newly installed cabinets in the redecorated study/studio/man cave.

I've put up five cabinets for mini figures and these have taken the bulk of the Japanese gashapon type figures. There are more to come as I can see gaps where I know I have the figures but have not encountered them yet whilst going through the many, many boxes. It's a start. Next step, shelving.

Cabinet 1 - Furuta, Bandai, Kabaya etc.

Cabinet 2 - Furuta, Expo, Sega etc.

Cabinet 3 - Kaiyodo Dinotales.

Cabinet 4 - Kaiyodo Dinotales, Expo, Capsule Q etc.

Cabinet 5 - Kaiyodo Dinotales.

I'll add to this post as more material comes down .............

Concavenator

I like how tidy your collection looks and you're lucky to have it inside a cabinet, too. Looking forward to seeing more!

Pliosaurking

Nice display
Man I definitely got to grab some kaiyodo figures soon...

TooOldForDinosaurs

This looks very good! Congrats on the new shelves. :)

Saarlooswolfhound

Simply gorgeous so far! Congratulations. My collection recently came out of storage to be more accessible (not displayed yet); its a good feeling huh?

Blackdanter

Quote from: Concavenator on December 06, 2023, 05:07:52 PMI like how tidy your collection looks and you're lucky to have it inside a cabinet, too. Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks. The cabinets are essential for small figures as there are four cats prowling the house. It always starts out tidy!

Blackdanter

Quote from: Pliosaurking on December 06, 2023, 06:36:11 PMNice display
Man I definitely got to grab some kaiyodo figures soon...

Thanks. They're very nice but there are so many. I drew a line after the Capsule Q Triceratops set. I don't need anymore Rex, Trikes or repaints. 

Blackdanter

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on December 06, 2023, 08:01:02 PMThis looks very good! Congrats on the new shelves. :)

Thanks. It's so nice to finally have them on display.

Blackdanter

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on December 06, 2023, 08:14:55 PMSimply gorgeous so far! Congratulations. My collection recently came out of storage to be more accessible (not displayed yet); its a good feeling huh?

Thanks. Indeed it is. They've been in the danger zone for a while in that you start to wonder if you actually need to keep something that's boxed away for so long. I'm glad I made a conscious effort to do something with them and enjoy them again.

Crackington

Wonderful Kaiyodos and beautiful cabinets avatar_Blackdanter @Blackdanter! Thanks for giving us the grand tour!

Is that a complete collection of the Dinotales various series? Very impressive in any case.

Most of my far fewer figures were from - I think - the Series 4 figures sold in the US as "Dinomania" and I forked out a few quid to get them over the pond. They were still "chocolosaurs" of course and came with a bit of chocolate alongside the model and mini leaflet.

Although the chocolate looked very aged and something out of Machu Pichu, I'm afraid that curiosity got the better of me and I ended up trying a bit. It seemed to crumble in my mouth like a mummified flake bar and required an emergency wash out! Moral of the story: don't try dodgy chocolate that's probably been across both major oceans and sat in containers for months or years!

Libraraptor

ceratopsian

Fembrogon

There are few things more satisfying to me than an organized, tidy display shelf of quality novelty items. Your collection looks beautiful!

Blackdanter

Quote from: Fembrogon on December 08, 2023, 05:42:05 PMThere are few things more satisfying to me than an organized, tidy display shelf of quality novelty items. Your collection looks beautiful!

Thanks Fembrogon.

Blackdanter

Blackdanter

Quote from: Crackington on December 07, 2023, 11:44:05 PMWonderful Kaiyodos and beautiful cabinets avatar_Blackdanter @Blackdanter! Thanks for giving us the grand tour!

Is that a complete collection of the Dinotales various series? Very impressive in any case.

Most of my far fewer figures were from - I think - the Series 4 figures sold in the US as "Dinomania" and I forked out a few quid to get them over the pond. They were still "chocolosaurs" of course and came with a bit of chocolate alongside the model and mini leaflet.

Although the chocolate looked very aged and something out of Machu Pichu, I'm afraid that curiosity got the better of me and I ended up trying a bit. It seemed to crumble in my mouth like a mummified flake bar and required an emergency wash out! Moral of the story: don't try dodgy chocolate that's probably been across both major oceans and sat in containers for months or years!

Thanks Crackington. Lol. I've always managed to resist trying the chocolate or candy.

I think I have complete base sets. There are some spots where I know I have the figures but am yet to find them. I have a number of repaints or paint alternatives but there are others that I'm not overly bothered with.

postsaurischian

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 08, 2023, 09:30:54 AMThe Dinotales are like little jewels.

Yes they are ... and kind of timeless, too.
Lovely collection - always worth a look :) .

Faelrin

This temps me to add more Kaiyodo to my collection, particularly the Dinotales. Although not in scale, it is incredible how many things they have done over the years, in that they've got a broad coverage of many popular and niche genera from all major eras. Anyways great collection of things one doesn't see here much (or at least I haven't).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blackdanter

Another cabinet, this time some vintage figures added - Starlux, Timpo and Cherilea.

The Starlux are total asshats. When I was acquiring these from France, an awful lot arrived broken, usually the one's that you really didn't want broken. When I put them into storage in the loft, each one was wrapped in soft bubble packaging and then a group of those packages was wrapped in a soft bubble packaging sausage before boxing. I ensured that each box then stayed at the top of any pile to avoid crushing.

None the less, I have still found some broken. To further vex me, a number are suffering from the 'sweats' which I've never seen in Starlux before. To add further insult to injury, a couple seem to have literally crumbled away from something very akin to mineral degradation in fossils.

I do love Starlux and am very far from a complete set but I don't think that I'll chase down any more purely because they are so damn difficult to maintain in one piece.

I don't have a full set of Timpo as I'm still missing the Stegosaurus. There's a full set of Cherilea.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: