News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Possible Parasitism on Cycad

Started by Pachyrhinosaurus, June 12, 2013, 03:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

I have had two King Sago (Cycas revoluta) for little more than a year now, and I recently discovered a white patch on one of them. It doesn't look like a scale insect, and there was only one on this plant. I took a picture:

[Image Removed]

The picture isn't too good, but it can be seen there is some white fluff, which is not groomed in a specific direction, but coming out from every direction. I'm not quite sure what this structure is, just hoping its not a scale insect. Can anyone provide assistance, please? Thanks in advance.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Justin_

Crackington

Could it be fungal?

I have a money plant which has been suffering with a similar looking ailment, even during the winter when few insects were active. Tried spraying it with a vinegar mix and other things, but it hasn't receded and the plant looks doomed.

Probably best to keep it away from your other plants, whatever it might be...

Pachyrhinosaurus

Thanks for the info^
I think I have identified it- Mealybugs. They look like the little bugs I found on my bird of paradise, and on the back of one of my orchids. I'm finding them one or two at a time, and I'm killing on sight. A quick google search revealed to me this picture:
http://garden-photos-com.photoshelter.com/image/I0000gFBqiXSecEY
I also just read up on them, and if anyone else is having the same problem I am, it is suggested to rub the infected are with  Isopropyl Alcohol if there is only a mild infestation like I have.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.