News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

explodeing dinosaurs

Started by Takama, July 18, 2013, 04:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Ok. When a whale is left out of water in the heat long enough. I heard it explodes because of its body getting blouted.   I then began to wonder. Can the same thing happen to a un touched sauropod corspe?

Everything_Dinosaur

Gases in the digestive track and within the body cavity itself can cause a carcase to bloat and eventually rupture, team members at Everything Dinosaur published an article last year which summarised some of the recent studies on Ichthyosaur fossils and evidence of exploding carcases preserved in the fossil record.  Link to the article here: http://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2012/04/01/exploding-prehistoric-animal-carcasses-as-they-rot-new-evidence.html

Balaur

:))
Just imagine a theropod right next to an already bloated sauropod, and the sauropod blows up and kills the theropod. At least that's what I imagine when I hear exploding dinosaur.

Gwangi

Quote from: Balaur on July 18, 2013, 08:30:06 PM
Just imagine a theropod right next to an already bloated sauropod, and the sauropod blows up and kills the theropod. At least that's what I imagine when I hear exploding dinosaur.

I would think that if the carcass was that far along in the process of decay there wouldn't be anyone interested in eating it nearby but, who knows?

Splonkadumpocus

Quote from: Gwangi on July 18, 2013, 08:51:54 PM

I would think that if the carcass was that far along in the process of decay there wouldn't be anyone interested in eating it nearby but, who knows?
If the theropod's desperate enough, sure. Given a choice between "eat nasty rotten corpse" and "die of starvation" I think most creatures would choose the former.

Gwangi

Quote from: Splonkadumpocus on July 22, 2013, 04:49:18 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 18, 2013, 08:51:54 PM

If the theropod's desperate enough, sure. Given a choice between "eat nasty rotten corpse" and "die of starvation" I think most creatures would choose the former.

Touché.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.