You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Therizinosaurus diet-Carnivore/Herbivore or Omnivore?

Started by Concavenator, August 05, 2013, 07:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think Therizinosaurus was?

A carnivore
0 (0%)
A herbivore
5 (55.6%)
An omnivore
4 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Concavenator

Hello,in this topic we'll discuss Therizinosaurus' diet.
Some people says it's carnivore (I don't believe it),herbivore or omnivore.These dinosaurs are known for few skeletal remains and they are misterious dinosaurs.What do you think 'bout Therizinosaurus diet?

tyrantqueen

An insectivore- I don't see it hunting anything larger than insects, because it doesn't have the teeth required.

EDIT: Changed my mind about it being a herbivore. Based on remains of other therizinosaurs, it could possibly have been a herbivore (considering Beipiaosaurus had peg like teeth) So I'm not sure  :-\

The only thing I can definitely say with confidence is that I don't think it hunted big game.

Concavenator

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 05, 2013, 07:53:22 PM
Herbivore, or possibly an insectivore, because of the large gut. I don't see it hunting anything large than insects, because it doesn't have the teeth required.
Yeah,I also think that,though I think it was a bit of controversial about therizinosaurids' diet.

Gwangi

Everything about these animals suggest they were herbivores. The small head, teeth, large gut area etc. I don't know of anyone who seriously thinks they may have been carnivores but they certainly could have been omnivores. Even if they ate the occasional animal material I still think they were mostly herbivorous.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Gwangi on August 05, 2013, 08:29:05 PM
Everything about these animals suggest they were herbivores. The small head, teeth, large gut area etc. I don't know of anyone who seriously thinks they may have been carnivores but they certainly could have been omnivores. Even if they ate the occasional animal material I still think they were mostly herbivorous.

I don't know of very many birds or reptiles that eat plants and *only* plants. Omnivore focusing mostly on plants seems likely.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Gwangi

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 08, 2013, 03:01:10 PM

I don't know of very many birds or reptiles that eat plants and *only* plants. Omnivore focusing mostly on plants seems likely.

I cannot think of many either but a few do come to mind.

Jetoar

Some times I think that this dinosaur like as a iberian bear  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

SBell

I know that discussion has surrounded pachycephalosaurs and even ceratopsians, but I have to say I hadn't heard that therizinosaurs were seriously considered even occasional carnivores (any more than, say, a porcupine that nibbles a carcass would be considered even occasionally carnivorous--more opportunistic).

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.