News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Boki's Diorama (reject from contest)

Started by Bokisaurus, September 22, 2012, 08:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

So, now that the contest is over, it is safe to release photos that did not make it.
I had fun, as always, taking diorama photos. The hardest part was choosing one to enter. How I went about my selection process? First, I wanted a piece that told a story. Then I looked for accuracy: figure scale that fits together, landscape, species ( did they coexist?), composition (is it interesting enough?), and realism. Below are some of the top dioramas I made that in the end got rejected.

Portraits
These ones got rejected mostly because they did not have enough story in them. They make a nice display for the figures though.
[

This was inspired by Gwangi's signature pic ;D
]

Had a story but...
These had some story element in them, but not strong enough.
[

Mixing species and the importance of Background
These ones featured multi-species in them. Some worked, but others did not.Also, these ones were rejected mostly due to the background not working the way I envisioned it.
Notice the pinecone one this one?

I like this one, but too many pine needles! ;D

The top 3
These were my other top picks, I had four to choose from.
#4 -This one falls under the portrait category. I really love the background and the way the figure fits nicely in it.
Unfortunately, other that the animal feeding, there really was no story to it.

#3- This had lots of story in it, an unknown predator stalking a nervous pair of edmontosaurus.
I was not happy with the background, and also how the predator's tail was not focused.

#2 -This one came close, placing in at number two, to being my official entry. It had a good story line, figures that fits nicely together, a background that really works, and action. Accuracy was the main reason that it did not make it. The species did not live together.
Also, the bead of water on the edmonto body distracted the whole thing and gave away the true scale of the figure.
I also wish I added some disturbance in the water.

Alternate version

My official entry piece

In the end, this one ended up as my official entry to the contest. Ironically, it was not even on my top 5.
But going back and looking at all my options again, this one started to set itself apart from the others. Also, the CollectA dead trike is just begging to be used in a diorama!
This one met my own criteria: it had a good story, figures that fits nicely together ( scale to each other), background that worked very well, and I really like the texture (sand grain/disturbance, shadows, etc.), and the composition.
So in the end, this is what made it. Did I make the right choice, I think I did.
Thanks to everyone who voted for it, it's been an honor to place #6 and be in a competition with so many beautiful and creative dioramas! I hope that we have another next year. Enjoy.

Takama

This one would have generated a vote from me.   I like how you used Two diffrent figures from a diffret companys to create a scene.

Gwangi

I'm really loving the two with the Plateosaurus, whatever location they're in really bring the toy to life. It looks like a real animal and actually looks to scale with the environment. I also really like the two with the Edmontosaurus being attacked. You captured some great action there, paint job aside I really love that Edmontosaurus. Even though they didn't live together the scene is no so far fetched and I think you could have placed higher then 6th.
All of them are beautiful though and I'm glad I inspired one of your shots, the location and lighting look almost identical to mine. Your pictures make we want to go out and buy those figures in them I don't already have, especially the Plateosaurus.

Coke

I like a lot all pictures but these two in particular are fantastic!

Quote from: Bokisaurus on September 22, 2012, 08:43:27 PM

I'm looking forward to getting my triceratops prey ;D

ZoPteryx

The top pick #4 of the Plateosaurus is beautiful! It seems so majestic and peaceful!  The two crocs attacking the Edmonto (the first one) is also great, if only there was some other type of croc to fill the Sarcosuchus's spot more accurately.

amargasaurus cazaui

The first picture with the Plateosaurus and all the colored plants........you said there was no story to it but...
Give that picture the name "Patterns" or "Textures" or even " Kaleidoscope" and you score a winning entry. Remember the winning piece....it isnt like it told much of a story either.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Bokisaurus

Thanks everyone ;D
Yes, I love the two plateosaurus pictures,too. Everything just worked perfect for both photos... just the story line ;D
The plateosaurus is my favorite figure of the species by far, it's just a great figure with lots of character.
Anyway, off I go for a short R&R, maybe I can bring back more diorama pics ;)

Cheers!

DC

I like the sarcosuchus pic.  Is they some way to add some vegatation to it?  You are good with photoshop.

You can never have too many dinosaurs

Jetoar

Good photographs and good figures. Is original that you have used figures different companies for do your dioramas  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Battatitan

Boki, they are all beautiful, as ever. Although I also feel that your final entry (which I voted for  :)) ) definetly stands out, the others are all wonderfully set up and photographed. I think the second Plateosaurus and CollectA Rex defending his dinner are certainly among my favourites. And I agree with Amargasaurus Cazaui: 'Kaleidoscope' is a really appropriate name for that colourful diorama!
Many thanks for sharing, they are a delight to rifle through.  ;D

Paleo & Fish Collector

I like them.I need to figure out how to upload pictures in time for the next contest.Maybe a Devonian fauna diorama.
Needs to have good figures,edited pictures,appropriate animals,appropriate setting.Think I can do it.Maybe I'll do Cambrain instead.Hopefully in time for the Safari ltd Cambrain toob release.

Balaur

Quote from: PteraspisEMMA on December 29, 2012, 04:13:41 AM
I like them.I need to figure out how to upload pictures in time for the next contest.Maybe a Devonian fauna diorama.
Needs to have good figures,edited pictures,appropriate animals,appropriate setting.Think I can do it.Maybe I'll do Cambrain instead.Hopefully in time for the Safari ltd Cambrain toob release.

The Cambrian Toob will be released in February, the contest is around the summer, June, July. Good luck! It'll be nice to see a Cambrian diorama! Not to many of those around. I think the toob is going to be useful. I love the Naraoia, the Trilobite, I love all of them!

I think you send the pictures to Dr. Admin by Email. You have several months before the pictures can be sent in, so, you have plenty of time to get ready. Again, Good luck!  ;)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.