News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

I'm glad I finally stopped lurking and joined this amazing community!

Started by DarkPhantom, March 23, 2015, 02:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkPhantom

My name is Raymond, and I'm so excited to finally be a member here!

I have recently had to take a leave of absence from my job in a call center due to my health, and my dinosaur collection has really helped me cope and manage when I have an attack. My wife suggested, after hours of looking of looking on the forums, especially at the amazing repaints by Federreptil and copper, that maybe I should start to paint my own figures; which I have been terrified to do, given the amazing sculpts on some like Papo.

I've been lurking for months and soaking up as much knowledge as I can from the above members' painting and diorama posts, and I finally got the courage to start. The forum & YouTube channel has provided recommendations for new figures and has greatly influenced my purchasing decisions. They have also made me even more enthusiastic about my first true love: the "terrible lizards".

Dinosaurs have been a passion since I was four years old; reading anything I could get my hands on. The Jurassic Park movies, and later, the "Jurassic Park" novels, propelled my love into adolescence and later into adulthood. I first bought a couple of Papo T-Rexes and Velociraptors as a joke, thinking it would be a silly thing to have in the corner of my room. All of that changed when I came across this site.

The Dinosaur Toy Blog has expanded my knowledge about dinosaurs that I didn't even know existed, as well has how to make dioramas, and how to customize my figures. I hope to give back to the forum and learn more, and I hope someday my posts might make someone stop and go "Hey I can do this too!"

Thank you for the chance to join in, and I look forward to interacting with you!

Uroplatus

Welcome here Raymond.

Seems we have abouth the same story when dinosaurs are concerned, not thinking abouth my inner child my girlfriend bought me a few figures last christmas, thinking it would be joke.., little did she know that by now i would have a shelf filled with them. Hehe. :)

Patrx

Welcome, Raymond! I look forward to seeing what kinds of repaints and dioramas you come up with :)

Arul

Dinomike

Welcome to the forum! It was Papos that rekindled  my dino enthusiasm too - I also bought them as a lark to amuse my kids...little did they know ablut what was going to happen! Looking forward to seeing your repaints!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Federreptil

Welcome, Raymond,
I'm so curious to see your visions of an amazing dino diorama. New dioramas are always an inspiration for me.
But if you looking for a guide of repainting, you give too much honor to me. E. g. Copper or Martin Garratt are here true masters and many other members of the forum show also very fine examples. My more functional repaints in the 'horrible horn horde' take one given make-up and expand so the herd with nearly similar versions. The role model for the trike is the first 1:35 favorite triceratops in polyresin, for the pachycephalosaurus it's the collectA version and for the Quetzalcoatlus the flying Colorata model. I want to improve also my skills of repaints. But I still don't know, what is a doable goal for me this year.

DinoToyForum

Welcome Raymond! I'm glad you decided to stop lurking and join in the fun :)

tyrantqueen

laticauda

Welcome Raymond, good luck with your repainting, I look forward to seeing them.  No pressure, just have fun.   :)

Jetoar

Welcome to DTF new friend  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Gwangi

That was a great introduction Raymond, welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing you around.

Tyto_Theropod

Glad you stopped lurking! I look forward to seeing your work. :)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

docronnie

Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

DarkPhantom

Thank you all for the warm welcome and kind words! I'm still working on the diorama as a whole, but I do have a preview of my Papo Green Running T-Rex I'm currently working on.

I hope you all like it! I still need to add the eyes, but I finally have a decent Internet connection so I'll upload what I have. lol.

Any critiques or suggestions are welcome.

DarkPhantom

A close up of his head. Again, currently with no eyes lol.

I plan to have bloody drag marks in the sand on the diorama where he has killed and dragged a juvenile triceratops off into a clearing away from the herd, the same way African big carnivores make their kill and take it somewhere else to eat without interruption.

Everything_Dinosaur

Welcome to the forum, we look forward to hearing more about you and your interests.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.