News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mezco toys using Papo Rex for Axe Cop?

Started by Rez, February 06, 2013, 08:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rez

From Toy Fair:

Found this interesting.   Do we think they're paying for this or just ripping it off?  It's listed as pending approval so perhaps this mock up will change considerably?  Since Papo isn't an American company do they have any say in the matter regardless?

Blade-of-the-Moon

That is interesting. Maybe it's just to show  what it might look like. I would assume they couldn't copy the exact figure.

tyrantqueen

QuoteFound this interesting.   Do we think they're paying for this or just ripping it off?  It's listed as pending approval so perhaps this mock up will change considerably?  Since Papo isn't an American company do they have any say in the matter regardless?
Are you saying that something that is copyrighted in another country is not applicable in the US? What gives Americans the right to violate copyright law..?

Anyway, I think this is lame. They should have at least given Papo credit. Yes, people might say that the original sculptor ripped off JP, but at least it was his own work.

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 07, 2013, 12:32:42 AM
QuoteFound this interesting.   Do we think they're paying for this or just ripping it off?  It's listed as pending approval so perhaps this mock up will change considerably?  Since Papo isn't an American company do they have any say in the matter regardless?
Are you saying that something that is copyrighted in another country is not applicable in the US? What gives Americans the right to violate copyright law..?

::) I don't think he is suggesting America has the right to violate copyright laws, I think what he is wondering is if copyright laws are applicable between different countries, America or otherwise.

tanystropheus

It is probably a (temporary) placeholder...

...unless they paid Papo for exclusive rights to T-rex v.1 for Axe Cop.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on February 07, 2013, 01:17:51 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 07, 2013, 12:32:42 AM

::) I don't think he is suggesting America has the right to violate copyright laws, I think what he is wondering is if copyright laws are applicable between different countries, America or otherwise.
Thanks, although you don't need to roll your eyes at me.

gfxtwin

I'm more concerned about the Mr. Hankey-esque monstrosity on the left.  W...T...F...

thriftstoredragon

What did they do to that poor T-Rex!? They ripped off his arms and gave him Gatling guns? Even if it is supposed to be based off of a comic book, that is still messed up. Very messed up. Poor thing.  :(  *yuck*
It's like being licked by kittens, while riding a unicorn through a tickle forest!

Libraraptor

Apart from the copyright issues, I find the dinosaurs/weapons-combination ridiculous and silly!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: gfxtwin on February 07, 2013, 04:32:16 AM
I'm more concerned about the Mr. Hankey-esque monstrosity on the left.  W...T...F...
Ewww, I just saw that. Gotta puke *yuck*
Apart from the copyright issues, I find the dinosaurs/weapons-combination ridiculous and silly!
Even Dino-riders? I admit I am not a fan of them either, but so many people love them, and they have a kind of cult following.

Rez

The comic that this is from is literally written by a 5 year old (and drawn by his much older adult brother) so I'd relax a bit. 

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Rez on February 12, 2013, 06:32:24 PM
The comic that this is from is literally written by a 5 year old (and drawn by his much older adult brother) so I'd relax a bit.
Why I am not surprised? ::) Still, whatever floats your boat and all that.

Takama

I just read a bit of one of the Comics on Amazon,    It is kinda silly and stupid.

If this model is ever released i might buy it to compare with the original Papo Rex

Brontozaurus

Quote from: thriftstoredragon on February 11, 2013, 09:19:21 AM
What did they do to that poor T-Rex!? They ripped off his arms and gave him Gatling guns? Even if it is supposed to be based off of a comic book, that is still messed up. Very messed up. Poor thing.  :(  *yuck*

As mentioned above, the comic is written by a five year old, and drawn by his older brother who illustrates for a living. Wexter the T. rex (for that is his name) got his gatling guns from Axe Cop, but they seem to be fitting over his arms rather than replacing them. This is his first appearance in the strip.

Later on he gets the power to transform into a dragon with rocket wings. As you can probably guess, Axe Cop doesn't run on standard logic. This is why it's awesome.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Seijun

I love Axe Cop! but I have not read it in a long while. The silliness and randomness is what makes it so awesome. It reminds me of being a kid, and all the crazy stories my sister and I made up while we were playing with dinosaur toys.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

DinoToyForum

Yutyrannus

How do these companies never get sued by Papo, Safari, etc.?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

CityRaptor

Wouldn't they need something like Katana Lawyer in this case? ( Just made that one up ). I think it is mainly due to not being worth the effort in many cases.

And this looks like another low quality bootleg with an inferior paintjob and a slightly altered pose.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Tyto_Theropod

For the love of God Mezco, just stick to Living Dead Dolls  :'(
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.