News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Idea for a future project: 1/20 Utahraptor

Started by Paleogene Pals, January 27, 2015, 02:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paleogene Pals

Since I am nearing completion of my Barylambda and the Repenomamus is well under way, I have starting thinking about what I want to do next. I do plan on a Sarkastodon. However, I would like to deviate a bit and see if I can do a Utahraptor justice. I want to go more bird and less monster. Since I am doing it my way, there will be lots of research into current reconstructions. I will also be looking for input from forum members. I want to do it right and be detailed. This is a long-term project. But, I am excited about it.

I hope this works out. I will be posting pictures of my current work soon.

stargatedalek

I recommend holding off for now on utahraptor. Its currently undergoing a major appearance revamp not much of which has been published at this point. Wouldn't want to get started only to learn that something has been revised of its appearance.

Paleogene Pals

I did not know that, thank you. Do you know when the new reconstruction will be published?

stargatedalek

Sadly I don't think anyone does. Its been teased for an awfully long time now and so far only one reconstruction (a very nice one) has come out showing its new look.
http://emilywilloughby.com/gallery-data/images/full/the-most-accurate-inaccurate-utahraptor.jpg

However, even this is from a while ago and its possible that even further changes have been made since.

triceratops83

You could do a Deinonychus in a larger scale. It'd still get the point across if you are trying for a naturalistic looking dromaeosaur.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's an interesting idea..I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

Paleogene Pals

I'm familiar with the Willoughby reconstruction. However, I'm thinking even more bird-like. I want to have a very naturalistic but accurate as possible dromaeosaur. And, they, essentially, are birds with teeth and sickle claws. I could do Deinonychus, but it will still have to be in 1/20-scale to fit in with the rest of my collection. I keep a consistent or near-consistent scale for size comparisons. I think I will proceed with the Sarkastodon and think some more about the dromaeosaur project. Thank you everyone for your input; it really helps me in my creation process!

Patrx

What a great idea! how is it that I'm just now seeing this thread? The most birdlike dromaeosaur reconstruction I think I've seen is John Conway's beautiful Deinonychus painting, which you've probably encountered before. There is also Achillobator, the huge dromaeosaur that is not currently undergoing a new-research makeover.

Perhaps, however, it would be cool to wait until more of the new Utahraptor material is published, and be one of the first to reconstruct its "new look", whatever that may ultimately be, three-dimensionally.

In either case, I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

stargatedalek

Don't forget austroraptor, it's far from as iconic as deinonychus or utahraptor but its about equal to utahraptor in size. Austroraptor is definitely amongst the more unique of dromaeosaurs, with its long legs and jaws it may well have been a wader.

Concavenator

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 27, 2015, 10:04:49 PM
Don't forget austroraptor, it's far from as iconic as deinonychus or utahraptor but its about equal to utahraptor in size. Austroraptor is definitely amongst the more unique of dromaeosaurs, with its long legs and jaws it may well have been a wader.
...and a piscivore too,perhaps.

Paleogene Pals

I'm glad to read that there is interest. I visited a bird sanctuary about a year ago and took lots of pictures. They will be good references for me to work with. The austroraptor idea sounds intriguing. It also has the added allure of being underrepresented as a model, as opposed to its more famous cousins.

I am pleased with how the Barylambda turned out, although the sculpture lacks any action. But, I doubt pantodonts were known for their action poses.

I will do some research into austroraptor.

Thanks stargatedalek and Concavenator!

Patrx, I will also look into Achillobator as another possibility, thanks!

Paleogene Pals

I briefly looked into both. Both seem to have some chimera issues. And, the austroraptor seems to have size issues with pedal phalanges.  That being said, I am leaning toward making an austroraptor. Now to gather research materials.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.