News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

tyrannosaurus rex sculpture WIP ( make that acrocanthosaurus)

Started by spinosaurus1, March 29, 2015, 04:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayakasaurus

I'm so sorry for your T. rex  :'( :'(

I'm glad your sticking to your goal of a theropod though. From what you've done so far I'm sure it's going to be awesome!
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Paleogene Pals

I like what you are doing with texturing. This looks to be a fantastic piece!

Yutyrannus

I really like the texturing and I can hardly wait to see how this turns out, good luck (and keep it away from certain little siblings to the best of your ability) :).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

jooooo

Sadto hear the Tyrannosaurus got cancelled. Good luck with Acrocanthosaurus.

Dinomike

Oh dear!  That's a pity! The sculpt looked really good!  Well - don't give up! :)
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

spinosaurus1

heres some more photos. unlike the tyrannosaurus, i used a stand to hold the acrocanthosaurus up so i don't have to touch it as much with my fingers.  as of now, i'm think it look pretty good.

spinosaurus1

Simon

Will you be giving it teeth (upper jaw overlaps bottom jaw)?

spinosaurus1

i haven't decided on that yet. i was going for partially covered with a fleshy covering as i imagine most theropods.
heres some for progress pics.

Arul

spinosaurus1

more progress

at this point, this sculpture is just being used to practice different textures. i realized a great error in where i placed the pelvis in my armature and realized too late. resulting with legs that stretch all the way into the dorsal crest. man i couldn't believed i overlooked that and it's too late to fix. instead of acrocanthosaurus, i probably just call it sauroniops or something of relation and very fragmentary material.

anyway, this sculpture is now dedicated to me just trying new sculpting techniques. i took the advice of kyakasaurus and baked two clay eyes so i can place into the head. i've then started texturing the legs  by first carving intercepting lines into it. then used a brush to smooth it out a little. once done, i proceeded to make a clay stamp( i know i neglected it's use earlier in this thread, but instead of stamping it onto a godzilla figure, i poked holes of various sized with a pencil.) and stamped it into the leg and refined some scaly details afterwards. i would like to hear what you guys think of this technique and give suggestions on how to better it . any sort of advice for creating wrinkles and scales would be very appreciated.

now for photos

Arul

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.