You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking With Dinosaurs Arena Tour 2015 Goes Feathered

Started by Simon, January 04, 2015, 02:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

8 years after seeing the show for the first time, I went to see the new Walking with Dinosaurs Arena Tour last night.  The kids enjoyed it more than last time ( now they are between 14 and 18 so they saw it in an entirely new light).

I highly recommend the show.

I am pleased to report that while the show is the same, the dinosaurs have been updated. The Lilliensternus, Utahraptors and TRexes - GOT FEATHERED!! The Ornithocairus also got much "fuzzier".

While I didn't take my camera along, I found web photos of the newly rendered dinos.  The TRex in particular looks far better with the new color scheme and the appropriately "conservative" allotment of feathers.

Judge for yourself. 

Here is a video addressing the feathering issue:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/theater/2014/07/16/dinosaurs-walk-again---and-flaunt-their-feathers/12677139/

DinoLord

This is great! Some other popular dinosaur entertainment franchises could take note...

stargatedalek

Tyrannosaurus looks great! If only the utahraptors weren't so overly conservative.

Simon

Considering that it used to be just a bald lizard in the original WWD stage show, I'd have to say that the re-imaged WWD Utahraptor is pretty radical (BTW the male is much more garishly colored in the show than the females - they explain it as well, since the male needs the extra colors and feathers for show while the females do not).

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's a good word for what I was thinking..seems this attempt is a bit intermediary to me.  But I guess some is better than none right?

Simon

Its a good start.  Let me tell you I was pretty excited - I was dreading seeing the "bald" theropods and when they came out it was a "YESSS"moment.   ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Simon on January 04, 2015, 03:28:45 AM
Its a good start.  Let me tell you I was pretty excited - I was dreading seeing the "bald" theropods and when they came out it was a "YESSS"moment.   ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

Yeah it's something for sure. I wonder what they used for "feathers"?

Manatee

Hooray for feathers! While they still are very conservative for feathered dinosaurs, it's still a major step forward for dinosaur-related media in that they added any sort of plumage at all; especially in Liliensternus, where as a coelophysoid their presence is speculative.

Dinomike

Hooray! I went to see the show a couple of years ago in Helsinki and was thoroughly impressed. I am even more impressed now that they chose to put feathers even on the T.rex as I can imagine the audience go 'Ahem....Excuse me?!' Good way to let people now about the latest advances in palaeontology!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

HD-man

Am I the only 1 who thinks that the feathered versions of WWDAT's dinos look just as bad as the originals (if not worse)? Saying that the former look better than the latter is like saying that mangy mammals look better than bald ones: To quote Witton ( http://markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-mysterious-mysteries-of-feather.html ), "it's not surprising that many laymen think that feathered theropods look silly. Many of the more memorable and longest-lived reconstructions of them are, and perhaps these are what most folks think of when the words 'feathered dinosaur' come to mind. Scaly theropods undeniably looked more intuitively plausible, not to mention more aesthetically pleasing, than a lot of the weird imagery once thrown about by palaeoartists"; The same goes for the feathered versions of WWDAT's dinos (which are so bad that they remind me of Groves' feathered dinos: http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s687677.htm ). Besides, Liliensternus & T.rex probably weren't feathered in life, but I digress.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Jetoar

When I saw them in 2009 they didnt have feathers  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Derek.McManus

That's quite impressive the feathers look ok to me as a chap who grew up with scaly swamp dwellers.

Fluffysaurus

They look awesome, with feathers and all. I loved the show.
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.
I am the cutest Fluffysaurus you have ever seen!

suspsy

I went to this show when it was in town last year. I'd already seen it two times in the past, but this was my favourite due to the addition of the wonderful feathers.

The most rewarding part is seeing all the little kids having such a great time while learning science.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.