News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

DON'T buy this book!

Started by Smilodon rex, March 24, 2015, 06:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smilodon rex

I'd just like to advise people NOT to buy The World Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Creatures by Dougal Dixon, as it's riddled with factual errors. For example: states that dinosaurs evolved from birds; classifies nimravids as cats; classifies Basilosaurus and Rodhocetus as primates; translates Homotherium as "the same mammal"; spells mustelids "mustellids".

John

They seem to have been trying to save money by not having any editors! :))
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Gwangi

Used on Amazon it's going for $57.17 at its cheapest. Think I'll pass anyway!

SBell

The thing is, the illustrations in that book are the same as ones that have been used several times over for years by several different publishers, with occasional updates (especially the T.rex and Conodont). But the various books have had varying quality in their written parts.

Gwangi

I already have "The Complete Book of Dinosaurs" which is very similar. It's been awhile since I browsed it but I don't recall to many glaring errors.

Smilodon rex

Another one to avoid is the BBC's The Complete Guide to Prehistoric Life, which accompanies the Walking With ... series. This has nice pictures (except for a very inaccurate cave lion), but again is riddled with errors - e.g. translates Tyrannosaurus as "terrible reptile"; states that Smilodon became extinct 100,000 years ago; says artiodactyl means "odd-toed".

Gwangi

Personally I don't trust (or even bother to pick up) any books that tie in with popular television programs like WWD.

docronnie

I also have the Complete Book of Dinosaurs, which I got for less than $4. Will check on the errors you mentioned.  Thanks!  :)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

stargatedalek

Quote from: Gwangi on March 28, 2015, 04:23:07 AM
Personally I don't trust (or even bother to pick up) any books that tie in with popular television programs like WWD.
I have a few of them. They don't make good reference books but its still a nice pictorial book.

HD-man

Quote from: Smilodon rex on March 24, 2015, 06:31:20 PMI'd just like to advise people NOT to buy The World Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Creatures by Dougal Dixon, as it's riddled with factual errors. For example: states that dinosaurs evolved from birds; classifies nimravids as cats; classifies Basilosaurus and Rodhocetus as primates; translates Homotherium as "the same mammal"; spells mustelids "mustellids".

I've been looking for an especially bad Dixon dino book to review at some point. Maybe this is the 1 (unless you guys know of a worse 1 that doesn't get enough criticism for being bad).
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Takama

Quote from: Gwangi on March 28, 2015, 04:23:07 AM

I have the WWD one and its made more like a Story book then a reference book. It re tells some of the events from the Show, and even changes thing around to make way for creatures that were never seen or even mentioned in the show.

HD-man

Quote from: Takama on April 01, 2015, 05:33:27 AMI have the WWD one and its made more like a Story book then a reference book.

Actually, WWD has 3 adult books ( http://blogevolved.blogspot.com/2014/12/my-7th-pair-of-reviews.html ), but I know what you mean by "the WWD one". To be fair, though, it's supposed to be "more like a Story...then a reference" (hence the title, "Walking with Dinosaurs: A Natural History").
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.