News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Every Which Way But Spinosaurus

Started by sauroid, January 07, 2016, 07:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoLord

Honestly I think we should all just lay off of Spinosaurus for now until more data is available - the new information introduced in the past two years or so has made things more confusing than they were previously...

sauroid

i guess people are just excited and hungry for more Spino infos and developments, but i agree, give it a rest til more concrete data is available.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Takama

Quote from: sauroid on January 07, 2016, 07:56:28 PM
i guess people are just excited and hungry for more Spino infos and developments, but i agree, give it a rest til more concrete data is available.

I think many of it has to do with the fact that Spinosaurus has a awesome bro fan base thanks to a certain movie.

Kovu

I'm still not sold on Sigilmassasaurus being a separate genus...
But seriously, I agree. Spinosaurus needs to be dropped for a bit. Let the experts with the degrees untangle that mess.

Viking Spawn

Agreed.  Much more research needs to be done.  I recall making a comment on a forum years ago that I had a hunch Spino would look like a Dimetrodon since there wasn't enough to say/prove it was bipedal!  I think the other readers thought I was a troll at the time.  Oh well. 

stargatedalek

Personally I like Spinosaurus a lot more now. Up until 2014 I just saw it as a giant piscivorous theropod with a ridge on its back, nothing particularly outstanding. Now we have a small-limbed diving theropod, and that's the conservative version.

SpartanSquat

laticauda

Our understanding of Spinosaurus is woefully incomplete.  Our knowledge of the animal comes from chimera effect, with it being a hybrid of ideas, fossils, species, and theory.  With all this speculation comes a closer look into the behavior and environment the animal adapted to and lived in.  Those are the details I find interesting.  I don't think the final story is even close to being written on the anatomy of Spinosaurus.  If the toy makers want to keep making each new Spinosaurus idea out there, it will crowd the market, and still sell very well. 

Kovu

Quote from: RolandEden on January 08, 2016, 02:53:25 AM
I recommend you read this: http://novataxa.blogspot.com.es/2016/01/spinosaurine-cenomanian-morocco.html

Super interesting read!
Just to clarify, I do not doubt that Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis and Spinosaurus aegypticus are distinct species from one another. I doubt they are distinct genera. Just look at freshwater vs saltwater crocodiles. They're morphologically pretty distinct, but they are still within the crocodylus genus. I can see these two species sharing a similar relationship to the one that modern day salties and freshies share.

Obviously, just my two cents. Like I said before, the Spinosaurus mess is probably best left for the experts with the degrees. lol

amargasaurus cazaui

I will make note of a few things worth mentioning here...you can go back a few years when I attempted to question our understanding of Spinosaurus and what not and met with quite a bit of ridicule, and contempt for attempting to question Stromer's original reconstruction of this animal. My ideas at the time were considered rather...unwelcome.
  A few things to remember about Stromer and his finds...within the material he brought back from his quarry, he attempted to name several new species of crocdilyforms. Also he felt there were bones present from Spinosaurs Ae. and another species he called Spinosaurs B. In addition there were bones from yet another predator of large size.....all within his working material from that one area.
   In addition Stromer himself did not quarry the material, but paid a worker to extricate the fossils and pack them. Once they were packed, they would languish in a holding area in Egypt due to the outbreak of war. Eventually a friend of Stromer's gifted him the money to have the crates sent to him, years later. Much of the material would arrive badly broken and knocked about from its ordeal.
  So what we did have of this dinosaur was somewhat...ambigous to begin with, and then it was blasted to rubble during world war 2 to add insult to injury. It is likely there will be more to add to the dinosaur and its story before things are finally settled, however
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.