News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Gorgonzola's 3D Prints

Started by Gorgonzola, September 19, 2024, 03:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gorgonzola

Hey everyone!

I disappeared for a good bit because of life, but with the recent closing of Shapeways (for anyone that hasn't kept up, Shapeways has filed bankruptcy and is shuttering everything, orders stopped being produced a while ago) I thought it'd be prudent to let anyone know that I have a Gumroad where I'm selling the 3D files for you to print at your own leisure and fun.

Carnotaurus 3D Print files

Parasaurolophus 3D Print files

At the moment I only have Carnotaurus and Parasaurolophus available, but these are NOT the same models offered on Shapeways. The Shapeways Carnotaurus I sculpted some odd 12 years ago (give or take) and this gumroad one was sculpted within the past five years.

Buying the prints on gumroad does NOT mean you get a physical print from me, rather you get the files and it'll be up to you to figure out how to 3D print them. 3D printing has changed a lot since Shapeways was the big force out there, to the point there's a lot of consumer printers available for people that want them. I have a large one at home, but at the moment I just don't have the energy or time to be able to fulfill orders. I'd like to someday, but it's just not in the cards at the moment. So for now I'm selling the 3D files for personal, non-commercial purposes.

Currently I'm working on a new Allosaurus, but I do have finished models of Nasutoceratops, Giraffititan, and Amargasaurus I just haven't created 3D print friendly files for those along with batches of poses. Would anyone have any interest in seeing these pushed to poses and packaged up for sale?

For reference, here's what each looks like.

Nasutoceratops:

(this is a static pose at the moment)

Giraffititan:

(this is the oldest out of all the sculpts but I think is still valid. The geometry is a bit finicky on my end to mess with but I can whip it into some poses if there's interest.)

Amargasaurus:

(This one I'm the most hesitant about for two reasons. 1, I messed up and forgot the central spine before the neural spines split and become forked. and 2, I finished this one literally a month before the new information about Amargasaurus came out where those spines were likely enveloped in a flesh of some kind, and I just didn't have the energy to go back and revise it again. If people really want it though I'll take a crack at it.)

I wish I could do these full time, but between a day job at a design studio and illustration freelance the sculpture work unfortunately gets bottom priority a lot of times, but if people are jazzed I'll see if I can squeeze that time in somewhere so progress on these pieces don't move at a glacial pace.

Take care!
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

DefinitelyNOTDilo

thomasw100

Quote from: Gorgonzola on September 19, 2024, 03:42:14 AMHey everyone!

I disappeared for a good bit because of life, but with the recent closing of Shapeways (for anyone that hasn't kept up, Shapeways has filed bankruptcy and is shuttering everything, orders stopped being produced a while ago) I thought it'd be prudent to let anyone know that I have a Gumroad where I'm selling the 3D files for you to print at your own leisure and fun.

Have you considered teaming up with Dinosauria Creatures? They do high quality 3D prints of models from a number of artists and they also have a streamlined connection to a painting artist for getting models built up and painted.

Elengassen

I didn't know Shapeways had gone bankrupt, that's a shame! There were quite a few things I still wanted to order from them. Luckily I already got most of the ones I really wanted.

Teaming up with Dinosauria Creatures sounds like a good idea, although their prices are a little bit high. There are some sellers on Etsy who also act as 3D print vendors for artists at slightly cheaper prices. I don't think they offer painted options though.
One day we will know the truth about Spinosaurus... but not today.

thomasw100

Quote from: Elengassen on September 19, 2024, 11:00:01 AMI didn't know Shapeways had gone bankrupt, that's a shame! There were quite a few things I still wanted to order from them. Luckily I already got most of the ones I really wanted.

Teaming up with Dinosauria Creatures sounds like a good idea, although their prices are a little bit high. There are some sellers on Etsy who also act as 3D print vendors for artists at slightly cheaper prices. I don't think they offer painted options though.

Teaming up with for example Dinosauria Creatures does not have to be an exclusive deal and typically it is not. Several 3D paleoart designers like Miniature Museum, Dino and Dog and VFB Paleoart have made their models available from Dinosauria Creatures, but you can still buy the print files from for example myminifactory.

Some people like to make 3D prints themselves, some have their preferred 3D printing service and yet others are happy with a streamlined service like Dinosauria is able to provide.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.