News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Stop the spam!

Started by DinoToyForum, August 21, 2012, 12:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Spammers and spambots are a constant problem on forums, and the DTF is no exception. There has been a recent influx that has been keeping us on our ties, and while we are pretty good at keeping on top of it, it is still a bother. One security measure we have in place is a few simple questions during the registration process. These are simple sums. But I wonder if bots can do sums, because they seem to be getting through...Either that or they are cheating somehow.

Anyway, I was thinking of putting some more tricky questions in place, just to see if that helps. They need to be easy enough to allow true members to join up without any hassle, but difficult enough to stop the spammers. Any thoughts?

Any other suggestions on how to reduce spam would also be appreciated.  C:-)

ZoPteryx

Maybe add some simple dino related questions, like: "What genus of prehistoric creatures is typically considered to have been the first bird?" Answer: Archaeopteryx; or "Which was larger, Allosaurus or Spinosaurus?" Answer: Spinosaurus.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Zopteryx on August 22, 2012, 06:53:06 PM
Maybe add some simple dino related questions, like: "What genus of prehistoric creatures is typically considered to have been the first bird?" Answer: Archaeopteryx; or "Which was larger, Allosaurus or Spinosaurus?" Answer: Spinosaurus.
Those seem good :).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Battatitan

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 22, 2012, 07:10:05 PM
Those seem good :).

Great idea Zopteryx! I have to say I agree. Dinosaur-related questions seem to fit nicely on a forum such as this.  ;D My only suggestion is to not make them too challenging: if younger children sign up then there's a chance they might not know the answer. Still, it would broaden their knowledge I suppose...

Takama

Qustion generator

which Dinosaur is plated?

Stegosaurus

Apatoesaurus

Triceratops

Tyrranosaurus

or

Which Dinosaur is Bigger

Dilophosaurus

Tyrannosaurus

and give the option of trying a diffrent qustions in case they cant figure it out.  A Dumb robot would explode from reading these qustions

Himmapaan

A question sounds good, though I think a short, simple one with a simple answer would suffice. We want to stop spambots rather than test new members' palaeontological prowess.  ;D

DinoToyForum

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of incorporating dinosaurs into the questions. I have set up some missing letter questions, like this:

Type the missing letter from this word: Tyrannosaur_s

Hopefully this will stop the spammers, but will be easy enough for real members.

SBell

Quote from: Himmapaan on August 26, 2012, 01:19:08 AM
A question sounds good, though I think a short, simple one with a simple answer would suffice. We want to stop spambots rather than test new members' palaeontological prowess.  ;D

I think we should test them hard before they enter! Except, in regards to figures themselves.

What company is responsible for the Dinotales line?
What company made the most popular, and expensive, Diplodocus?
What French company took much of its early inspiration from the JP movies?
etc...

Just kidding. I think as people come into the hobby, those questions could get harder to answer.

Himmapaan

Hey, better yet, why not pose questions regarding etiquette instead? Now there is a real challenge.  :P That might weed out more than spambots alone.  ;D

The missing letter questions seem most appropriate, I think. :)

DinoToyForum

Since setting up the new questions we haven't had a single spambot get through. But we have had a couple of new members join. Robots know nothing about dinosaurs!

DinoToyForum

It seems spambots can spell dinosaur names too. A few spambots have been getting through recently. I've updated the security questions, that might do the trick.

stoneage

;D  The problem is that Archaeopteryx is not considered to be the first bird anymore.  http://cs.birdwatchingdaily.com/brd/b/field_of_view/archive/2011/07/27/new-research-archaeopteryx-was-not-a-bird.aspx
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091009090436.htm

stoneage

Quote from: Himmapaan on August 27, 2012, 05:55:34 PM
Hey, better yet, why not pose questions regarding etiquette instead? Now there is a real challenge.  :P That might weed out more than spambots alone.  ;D

;D  In that case you would probably be the only member.

stoneage

;D  I got it, why don't we just ask a simple math problem that the spambot won't be able to answer.  A new clerk at a motel rents out 3 different rooms to 3 individuals for $10 each, making a total of $30. The manager comes in and sees that the clerk has overcharged the customers.  So he gives the clerk $5 in $1 dollar bills and tells him to go reimburse the customers.  The clerk can't figure out how to divide the $5 evenly so he gives each customer $1 and keeps $2 for himself.  So each customer ended up paying $9.  So if each of the 3 customers paid $9($27) and the clerk kept $2 that would add up to $29.  What happened to the other $1?

tyrantqueen

I never noticed any spambots whatsoever :-[ Am I missing something here?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 01, 2012, 01:34:59 AM
I never noticed any spambots whatsoever :-[ Am I missing something here?

Yep, you're missing the efficiency with which we ban spammers and delete their accounts and posts - we are a well-oiled anti-spam brigade  :). That the work we do is sometimes overlooked can only be regarded as testament to our achievements. ;) In terms of numbers, I've deleted about 70 spambot spammer accounts since V2 opened. It is time consuming and frustrating though, so it is better to keep them out in the first place.  C:-)

Himmapaan

Quote from: stoneage on November 30, 2012, 11:56:33 PM
Quote from: Himmapaan on August 27, 2012, 05:55:34 PM

;D  In that case you would probably be the only member.

Ahaha!

DinoToyForum

We've been having lots of spammers/spam-bots get through our registration process recently. I updated the 'missing letters' security questions but it didn't really help. I'm going to make the questions more difficult, but I don't wan't them to be so difficult that genuine members struggle.

So, how about something like:

Give the species name Triceratops h_______. The answer would be horridus

Give the species name Liopleurodon f____. The answer would be ferox

Even if the member doesn't know the answer, it is easy to find out. It is an extra hoop for everyone to jump through, but might cut out some spammers.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.