You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Notocolossus gonzalezparejasi: A gigantic new Titanosaur from Argentina

Started by sauroid, January 18, 2016, 06:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking Spawn

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Simon on January 19, 2016, 04:27:46 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on January 19, 2016, 12:22:38 PM
Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 19, 2016, 01:36:43 AM
Quote from: DinoG on January 18, 2016, 07:24:54 PM
And wherever there are big herbivores there shall be big carnivores...is it just about matter of time before the greatest carnivore of all is discovered in Argentina, even bigger than Giganotosaurus???

Wouldn't THAT be interesting?  Perhaps a real 50 foot long, 12 ton theropod?

There's already three big theropods, Giganotosaurus, Mapusaurus and Tyrannotitan.

Yes, and none of them is as heavy as Sue the TRex.  They might be longer, but they have the narrow Allosaurid body and skull.  TRex, OTOH, was built much more heavily.  Trex is the "double-wide" of large theropods....

If (and it's a big if) these huge allosauroids were really attacking adult sauropods on a regular basis, I don't think we should expect any of them to evolve to be robust convergently with tyrannosaurids. The whole argument for sauropod predation hinges on their ability to take chunks out of their sides with hatchet-shaped jaws and blade-shaped teeth. T. rex would be useless at this with its bulldog jaws and d-shaped teeth. Imagine trying to cut a steak wth a chisel.

QuoteWouldn't THAT be interesting?  Perhaps a real 50 foot long, 12 ton theropod?
The possibility still exists, however unlikely, that this is biologically impossible for a terrestrial biped... The fact that Spinosaurus turned out to be at least semi-aquatic doesn't bode well, and the fact that all the other largest theropods from various lineages (allosaouroids, non-spinosaur megalosauroids, ornithomimosaurs, therizinosaurs, tyrannosauroids, oviraptorosaurs) are all essentially in the same size class with only minor length differences and differences in robustness, makes it seem like they might be hitting a ceiling.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Viking Spawn

I agree with you Dinoguy2!  It is just nice to fantasize! 

I've read opinion articles where the T-Rex was considered the height as well as the end of dinosaur predator evolution.  Remember reading about the Peck's Rex years ago as possibly a new species called Tyrannosaurus Imperator?   I guess my hopes are that one day someone unearths an abnormally large specimen that will be near complete and larger than Sue.  I believe the skull specimen of "Scotty" is actually more robust than hers? (it?)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Newt on January 19, 2016, 07:26:53 PM
Quote from: TE Matt on January 19, 2016, 06:18:21 PM
If they discovered something like that, what would be a good name? Gigatyrannus omnipotens sounds amazing.

Calvinosaurus wattersoni.

That's the one.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoG

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 23, 2016, 10:07:46 PM
Quote from: Newt on January 19, 2016, 07:26:53 PM
Quote from: TE Matt on January 19, 2016, 06:18:21 PM
If they discovered something like that, what would be a good name? Gigatyrannus omnipotens sounds amazing.

Calvinosaurus wattersoni.

Thumbs up for the gigatyrannus! What if the authors of JW2 are reading and...

That's the one.
Run!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.