You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Notocolossus gonzalezparejasi: A gigantic new Titanosaur from Argentina

Started by sauroid, January 18, 2016, 06:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Viking Spawn

PaleoMatt

MLMjp

It will be not surprise if one of these titanosaurs results to be a synonym of a previously discovered one. Because HOW MANY HUGE TITANOSAURS ARE IN ARGENTINA??? This is insane! And they always come with the same title: Biggest dinosaur!/One of the biggest dinosaurs!

PaleoMatt

Yeah theres been so many! Argentinosaurus, Futalognkosaurus and Dreadnoughtus! Now notocollosus! Something weird is happening in Argentina!

DinoG

And wherever there are big herbivores there shall be big carnivores...is it just about matter of time before the greatest carnivore of all is discovered in Argentina, even bigger than Giganotosaurus???
Run!

Takama

Is this a Different species then the One on Display at the American Museum of Natural History?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: MLMjp on January 18, 2016, 07:03:46 PM
It will be not surprise if one of these titanosaurs results to be a synonym of a previously discovered one. Because HOW MANY HUGE TITANOSAURS ARE IN ARGENTINA??? This is insane! And they always come with the same title: Biggest dinosaur!/One of the biggest dinosaurs!

It's from the same formation as Antarctosaurus giganteus and the authors note they could be synonyms, but there is no overlapping material to test the hypothesis.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Takama on January 18, 2016, 07:51:46 PM
Is this a Different species then the One on Display at the American Museum of Natural History?

Yes, the AMNH mount is a specimen from Patagonia that is more complete and apparently larger than Argentinosaurus (this one is smaller).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Viking Spawn

Quote from: DinoG on January 18, 2016, 07:24:54 PM
And wherever there are big herbivores there shall be big carnivores...is it just about matter of time before the greatest carnivore of all is discovered in Argentina, even bigger than Giganotosaurus???

Wouldn't THAT be interesting?  Perhaps a real 50 foot long, 12 ton theropod?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: MLMjp on January 18, 2016, 07:03:46 PM
Honestly, I think the AMNH titanosaur will turn out to be synonymous with Argentinosaurus, and Puertasaurus is certainly distinct, no clue about the others though.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

MLMjp

Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 19, 2016, 01:36:43 AM

There's already three big theropods, Giganotosaurus, Mapusaurus and Tyrannotitan.

Simon

Quote from: MLMjp on January 19, 2016, 12:22:38 PM
Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 19, 2016, 01:36:43 AM

There's already three big theropods, Giganotosaurus, Mapusaurus and Tyrannotitan.

Yes, and none of them is as heavy as Sue the TRex.  They might be longer, but they have the narrow Allosaurid body and skull.  TRex, OTOH, was built much more heavily.  Trex is the "double-wide" of large theropods....

Viking Spawn

Simon knew what I was implying. 

I'm hoping they discover something truly terrifying.  Something that will challenge TRex's throne as the mightiest land predator.  (If it does/or did exist.)  Spinosaurus and the species Simon mentioned are true killers and indeed large but not enough for the reigning champ IMO.  I want to see a nightmare (something out of Hell!!!) that would make even these Titanosaurs sleep with one eye open. 

Okay, okay.....  I'll stop now.  Godzilla wasn't around yet.  But you know what I mean.

PaleoMatt

If they discovered something like that, what would be a good name? Gigatyrannus omnipotens sounds amazing.

MLMjp

Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 19, 2016, 05:52:16 PM

I'm hoping they discover something truly terrifying.  Something that will challenge TRex's throne as the mightiest land predator.  (If it does/or did exist.)  Spinosaurus and the species Simon mentioned are true killers and indeed large but not enough for the reigning champ IMO.  I want to see a nightmare (something out of Hell!!!) that would make even these Titanosaurs sleep with one eye open. 

Okay, okay.....  I'll stop now.  Godzilla wasn't around yet.  But you know what I mean.

Quote from: TE Matt on January 19, 2016, 06:18:21 PM
If they discovered something like that, what would be a good name? Gigatyrannus omnipotens sounds amazing.

Everything that you have said reminds me of two words: Indominus rex

You just want something bigger, badder, louder and with more teeth basically. >:D

sauroid

Mortifer imperator would sound ok as a name for an extreme carnivorous theropod
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

PaleoMatt

Quote from: MLMjp on January 19, 2016, 06:26:12 PM
Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 19, 2016, 05:52:16 PM

Everything that you have said reminds me of two words: Indominus rex

You just want something bigger, badder, louder and with more teeth basically. >:D

That wasn't intentional and now I can't unsee it lol

PaleoMatt

Newt

Calvinosaurus wattersoni.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: