News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

First Time Repaints By EarthboundEiniosaurus

Started by EarthboundEiniosaurus, October 13, 2015, 01:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EarthboundEiniosaurus

So, I haven't really ever painted before, especially not anything three dimensional such as a dinosaur figure. The last time I tried something like this was probably when i was like five and go one of those paint it yourself dinosaur kits. Anyway, I recently decided that two of my favorite childhood toys needed a makeover, so over the weekend i graced them with brand new paint schemes, with lots of help from copper's art tutorial (if you read this, thanks copper! :) ). These were both originally painted a bland, monochrome green. Sorry if the picture quality is crud, I was using the camera on my computer. I couldn't think of any original color schemes, so I used Mark Witton's Tyrannosaurus as reference. One last thing, i'm aware that sauropods are now theorized to have fleshy nostrils positioned at the front of their snouts, but i decided to stick to the sculpt and paint them in where they originally were. Thanks for reading, and please comment, constructive criticism helps! :)

Link to my Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/135950092@N08

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

jooooo

Use a really thin darker color to bring out the details, it looks alot better.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: Jonagold2000 on October 13, 2015, 02:10:37 PM
Use a really thin darker color to bring out the details, it looks alot better.

That's known as a dark wash, correct? I was going to do that, but I was fearful that I would ruin the paint. Maybe once i get brave enough, i'll try a dark wash, but until then i'll provably keep them as they are, but thank you for the comment :)

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Well it's been awhile since i've updated this thread, and I'm glad to say I've improved a bit :) I still haven't tried a dark wash so if anybody has any tips on that if you could please tell me. Constructive criticism is welcome ^-^

Mojo Fun mini Triceratops repaint, one of my older paints

Safari good luck minis Triceratops, along with the Apatosaurus which has since had another repaint

Shapeways 1/4 Pegomastax, sculpted by mb_cg

JP Lycaenops baby (This I gave to my girlfriend, she thought it was the Diictodon from Primeval)

Three of the four David Krentz Shapeways "raptors" two are based on Saurian concept art, and the fourth has yet to be painted

Tsaagan mangas

Dromaeosaurus albertensis

Linheraptor exquisitus

More repaints will come in another upcoming post, so stay tuned ^-^

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus

AcroSauroTaurus

I am the Dinosaur King!

dutchdinolover

earth108

Looks great! You might want to try several shades of wash :soft,dark,blue,red,green,etc. even really thin darker colors which you use as Jonagold2000 recommended. This will add instant shading to your works.
Your Shapeways 1/4 Pegomastax paint job is really good. Nice color blending there! and diorama is wonderful! :)

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Thank you all for the positive comments ^-^ And thank you earth108 for the advice about washes, i'll be sure to test it out. Another question: I've been reading around on the frequently asked questions page and it says to avoid craft acrylics. I use this brand of paint for the majority of my repaints and was wondering if this was one such craft paint:
More repaints soon, and thanks in advance :)

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus

tyrantqueen

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 05, 2016, 08:27:30 AM
Yes, that is a craft brand of acrylic.

Okay, thank you for telling me. That's one of the reason I haven't tried washes, this paint doesn't really handle that well. Hopefully I'll be able to acquire some proper acrylics soon :)

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Here are the last few repaints that i've done in the past few months. These were painted with craft acrylics, except for the Stegosaurus, which was painted with a different brand. Again, constructive criticism and advice is welcome ^-^

Repainted WWD the movie "Juniper" Pachyrhinosaurus

Mojo fun mini Stegosaurus, I need to try and reapply the eyes on this one

Wild Safari "Sue at the museum" Torosaurus

And that's it. Hopefully i'll have more repaints to share soon :)

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus

T-Reqs

All of your repaints look amazing, especially your raptors! Do you come up with all of your color schemes yourself, or do you take influence from paleoart or modern wildlife?

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.