News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Microraptor

Started by Digibasherx, March 07, 2016, 12:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digibasherx

Hey gang,

I've been waiting to get my airbrush so I thought I start on a new project.  I always wanted a little bird for a pet, so here's my chance to get one.

Wireframe

Initial body sculpt

The head sculpt was probably the hardest to get right. I wanted somthing to capture what a chickadee would be, with teeth.

Testing wings.

Protofeathers.

Did a bunch of resculpting, and forgot to photograph the progress, which is a shame since the oven alarm didn't sense for the final bake.

And there she is, oh, and she sits on your finger too, but it's hard to photograph that. O:-).  I'm also looking to get some sort of bead for the eye, something like the tyco dinos.

SBell

Very nice sculpt. For the eyes, you might want to check with taxidermy supply--they should have whatever you are looking for, usually in glass!

EDIT--I didn't realize that there was a thread, right now, on glass eyes http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4441.0;topicseen

Pachyrhinosaurus

Pretty cool! I can't wait to see it painted! I like that you added the pair of tail plumes, too, keeping up with the latest finds.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Digibasherx

Quote from: SBell on March 07, 2016, 12:30:19 AM
Very nice sculpt. For the eyes, you might want to check with taxidermy supply--they should have whatever you are looking for, usually in glass!

EDIT--I didn't realize that there was a thread, right now, on glass eyes http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4441.0;topicseen

Thanks Sean, I check the site, and the eyes might be too big.

Digibasherx

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on March 07, 2016, 01:08:52 AM
Pretty cool! I can't wait to see it painted! I like that you added the pair of tail plumes, too, keeping up with the latest finds.

Thanks Pachyrhinosaurus, I had no idea it's actually acurate, most references I found didn't have them, but one showed them like a bird of paradise would.  I actually had to mod the feathers I initially had coz they were a lot more broader like modern feathers, but ended up going with more finner filliments (I believe they reasoning is they weren't flight feathers, but used more for gliding).

SBell

Quote from: Digibasherx on March 07, 2016, 04:14:26 PM
Quote from: SBell on March 07, 2016, 12:30:19 AM

Thanks Sean, I check the site, and the eyes might be too big.

I thought someone had mentioned eyes as small as 1mm across, but honestly I didn't pay a lot of attention.

Blade-of-the-Moon

They do make some pretty small ones, just dig around the sites at Vandykes and Tohickon.

Digibasherx

Some updated photos after I found a broken tyco dino.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Cool, giving me some ideas for a couple hatchling Microraptors I'm thinking of adding to our Park.

Digibasherx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 08, 2016, 03:26:36 AM
Cool, giving me some ideas for a couple hatchling Microraptors I'm thinking of adding to our Park.

The kids will love them :D.

Dinomike

Wow! It's pretty cute!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Rogue1stClass

Holy crap, that's fantastic!

Now I'm going to sit here and be sad that I can never have a pet Microraptor. I would name him Buzzy and feed him super worms and frozen mice and he could ride on my shoulder when I take the dogs for their walks....sigh....

Archinto

The eyes really set this sculpt off! I'd inset the eyes a tiny bit and roll out some thin clay for eyelids. I would not have them attached if you need to bake it again. Looking Rad! Cant wait to see more progress :)
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Mamasaurus

Too cute! The eyes really make it come to life, and I love how you were able to have it perch on your finger.  I can hardly wait to see it painted  :))

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

Digibasherx

Thanks guys :D. I just picked up my airbrush, so... fingers crossed. 

P.s. I don't know how to use an airbrush yet.

Archinto

practice on paper first, or on some junky dinosaurs or toys to get a feel for it before tryinh it on this guy. Personally I'd paint him with a brush
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.