News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinotopia

Started by DinoToyForum, April 15, 2012, 12:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

I received an Amazon gift voucher recently and after much deliberation, plumped for James Gurney's Dinotopia -  A Land Apart From Time. I had seen bits and bobs before, but didn't realise how extensive Gurney's vision was, I quickly became immersed in his imagined world. I also appreciated the anagrams of the peoples names - 'Alec Orchardwine' indeed.  ;D Now I'm tempted to seek out the others in the series.  8)

DinoLord

DinoTopia is a great series. Gurney's art is simply beautiful. If you can, I suggest that you read some of the sequels as well.

There were also a few novels from this series that were pretty good. I recall reading one of them, but the name eludes me at the moment.

Himmapaan

My good Doctor, you don't me to say that you had never read this book hitherto? I am utterly aghast.  :o

But I'm very glad you have now and have enjoyed it. I can't recommend your acquiring the others in the series strongly enough. The scope of his vision, as you say, is immense; his research exhaustive; and I need hardly conjure any superlatives for his artwork.

When this book first came out all those years ago, I coveted it as I had never coveted anything before. My copy is worn from having read, re-read and perused the illustrations a hundred times. Ah...

Blade-of-the-Moon

I have to agree..this book and the related material are a must read for dinosaur fans.  My copy has been beaten and bruised from when I carried it around so much when younger..I used to ask my mom where it was located and could we go there. ;D

In Gurney's series there are 4 books now I think ?  Dinotopia , The World Beneath, First Flight, Journey to Chandara

There are the novels which are pretty cool as well and by Alan Dean Foster  , they are Dinotopia Lost and The Hand of Dinotopia.

The young adult book series is also very entertaining..I believe I have them all up to the unreleased book.

Here is the search link on Amazon

Has anyone picked up the 20th Anniversary Edition ?

Weaver

Everything about these books is a feast for the eyes. I have one on hold at the local bookstore to be picked up.

Oh gosh: The 20th Anniversary edition looks incredible! I would die to have that in my hands... the fact that he makes maquettes for his paintings blows me away every single-time.

DinoToyForum

The 20th Anniversary edition is the one I have  8)

Himmapaan

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 15, 2012, 10:14:10 AM
I'm going to need to get that too, methinks...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 15, 2012, 10:14:10 AM

Awesome. I'd love to see some pics of it ! ;D

Takama

Anyone have opinions on the Media it spawned?   I recently got the TV series on DVD and i did not know it was a sequel to the 4 hour Movie.

I liked the Media Versions and im thinking of getting the Illustrated Books and the Novels.

Archinto

I have several of the Dinotopia books. Ive yet to read them fully through, but really should get back into it. I have some puzzles too that would make neato wall art. You can find the books at used book stores or thrift stores etc. You may be able to get them for less than they are online. Unless of course its some insane free shipping amazon deal haha! Nice find!
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Blade-of-the-Moon

the books are so much better than any of the tv programs or video game. I grew up reading them, i've actually been tempted to by the new re-releases too.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.