News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Did all dinosaurs Kill on Sight without reason or without need of doing?

Started by Tylosaurus, September 27, 2017, 11:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newt

Anyone who's kept a lot of fish has probably seen some apparently senseless killing. But who knows, maybe the gouramis got what was coming to them. And of course, animals act weird in captivity.

stargatedalek

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 28, 2017, 10:31:26 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 28, 2017, 02:38:03 PM
According to Wikipedia: "Other than humans, surplus killing has been observed among zooplankton, damselfly naiads, predaceous mites, martens, weasels, honey badgers, wolves, orcas, red foxes, leopards, lions, spotted hyenas, spiders, brown and black and polar bears, coyotes, lynx, mink, raccoons, dogs, and house cats."

I think it's rather interesting to notice that all vertebrates listed there are mammals.
Probably largely by coincidence, as most large birds and reptiles are either herbivorous or comparatively docile.

ITdactyl

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1469-7998.1972.tb04087.x/abstract

Observations were conducted on cases of surplus killing by mammalian predators.
Observed causes:
- apparently satiation inhibits "searching and hunting" behavior, but not "catching and killing" behavior
- ineffective (or total lack of) anti predator behavior by the prey species; prey cannot flee or fight due to enclosed space, limiting factors like deep snow, too young etc.

After killing all the prey species it can, the predator will only consume the amount of meat they normally take and then will treat the site as a cache for future easy meals.

natural cases observed:
wolf pack finding reindeer in deep snow
hyena chancing on impala birthing grounds

cases induced through human influence:
fox in hen house
caracal in sheep pen

...And I'm suddenly reminded of all those Europasaurs stuck in an island with some large carnosaurs.

Neosodon

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 28, 2017, 10:58:28 PM
According to Wikipedia: "Other than humans, surplus killing has been observed among zooplankton, damselfly naiads, predaceous mites, martens, weasels, honey badgers, wolves, orcas, red foxes, leopards, lions, spotted hyenas, spiders, brown and black and polar bears, coyotes, lynx, mink, raccoons, dogs, and house cats."

I think it's rather interesting to notice that all vertebrates listed there are mammals.
Probably largely by coincidence, as most large birds and reptiles are either herbivorous or comparatively docile.
I don't think there are any large birds or reptiles that are strictly herbivorous except for some turtles. Most reptiles are just to lazy to engage in surplus killing. But I have a hard time believing that there are no birds that do. Birds may seem docile to us in comparison to wolves and hyenas but they can actually be quite vicious hunters. I captured a mouse in the house once and when I let it go outside my rooster attacked and killed it without hesitation.

Quote from: ITdactyl on September 29, 2017, 06:50:45 AM
...And I'm suddenly reminded of all those Europasaurs stuck in an island with some large carnosaurs.
What's that about?

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

CityRaptor

So, your rooster did not eat the mouse? That would be odd.  Because chickens are normally very voracious.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Neosodon

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 29, 2017, 07:35:38 AM
So, your rooster did not eat the mouse? That would be odd.  Because chickens are normally very voracious.
I actually don't remember. I was pretty young when it happened.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

ITdactyl

Quote from: Neosodon on September 29, 2017, 07:16:24 AM
Quote from: ITdactyl on September 29, 2017, 06:50:45 AM
What's that about?

research article:  http://palaeo-electronica.org/content/2015/1166-langenberg-tracks
artwork:  https://hyrotrioskjan.deviantart.com/art/Mesozoic-Blitzkrieg-540261907

It seems there were large theropods in the same locale as the smallish Europasaurus.  While not really an example of "surplus killing", I just thought of the possibility since according to the observations in the surplus killing paper, predators may keep killing if the prey species has no means of fighting back or avoiding them.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Neosodon on September 29, 2017, 07:16:24 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on September 28, 2017, 10:58:28 PM

I don't think there are any large birds or reptiles that are strictly herbivorous except for some turtles. Most reptiles are just to lazy to engage in surplus killing. But I have a hard time believing that there are no birds that do. Birds may seem docile to us in comparison to wolves and hyenas but they can actually be quite vicious hunters. I captured a mouse in the house once and when I let it go outside my rooster attacked and killed it without hesitation.
Large as in comparable to the aforementioned mammals. Ostriches and rheas are herbivorous, and emus are primarily herbivorous.

I don't think you understand what surplus killing refers to. A mouse is a threat to chickens, they're going to attack it and kill it on sight because it will steal their food and predate their eggs and young. Whether they eat it or not is irrelevant, it wasn't "killing for no reason" or even surplus killing.

Yes birds are powerful predators but the ways in which they hunt generally keep them out of situations that would induce surplus killing. Birds are also a lot more used to complex interactions between species than most mammals are. For example falcons and snowy owls both will often nest alongside geese for mutual protection and even if the owls hunt the young of other geese they actively protect those of their neighbors, and of course there is morning birdsong. It could just be that birds are unlikely to partake in surplus killing because of underlying behavioral traits.

Neosodon

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 29, 2017, 07:06:30 PM
Ostriches and rheas are herbivorous
Well technically they are omnivores. Although they have a plant based diet they sometimes eat invertebrates, small mammals, lizards and frogs.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Neosodon on September 29, 2017, 08:11:55 PM
Well technically they are omnivores. Although they have a plant based diet they sometimes eat invertebrates, small mammals, lizards and frogs.
As do deer, and no one is calling them omnivores.

It's generally accepted that an "herbivorous" animal will eat small animals or scavenge if presented a good opportunity, does not make them omnivores.

tyrantqueen

Another thing to think about is that active predation can be dangerous for the hunter as well as the hunted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtE0N43_t3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebb5MjHRUKs

And of course, all that running and biting uses up precious energy.

In response to the original question- no animal is dumb enough to constantly endanger itself like that. It would quickly find itself removed from the gene pool.

HD-man

Quote from: Tylosaurus Rev.A2 on September 28, 2017, 12:59:25 PMor this:
https://www.ranker.com/list/animals-that-kill-for-no-reason/laura-allan

Laura Allan's list is full of contradictions: For 1, her list contradicts its own title ("14 Vicious Animals That Kill Just for Fun") by saying that "these animals kill for apparently no reason whatsoever" (Last I checked, fun IS a reason for doing something, whether or not it's a good reason); For another, every animal she lists contradicts her list (E.g. 1st it says that "by fun, we mean they don't do it over territorial disputes, in self-defense, to get food, or to move up in the pack hierarchy"; Then it says that "Chimps Eat Each Other as Part of Territorial Wars"); For yet another, the sources she cites contradict her list (E.g. "Mustela erminea [is] adapted to surviving periodic shortages by storage of surplus kills": http://www.iucngisd.org/gisd/species.php?sc=98 ).

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 29, 2017, 08:27:52 PM
Quote from: Neosodon on September 29, 2017, 08:11:55 PM
As do deer, and no one is calling them omnivores.

It's generally accepted that an "herbivorous" animal will eat small animals or scavenge if presented a good opportunity, does not make them omnivores.

There's a difference btwn being an omnivore & being an otherwise strict herbivore who "will eat animal matter on occasion" ( http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2010/12/20/carnivory-in-cows-and-deer/ ). Ostriches are "largely omnivorous" ( https://books.google.com/books?id=gJVLXG-LOcMC&pg=PA145&dq=%22ostrich+it+is+largely%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbzMrk1fXWAhXNZiYKHaswBEoQ6AEIKDAA#v=onepage&q=%22ostrich%20it%20is%20largely%22&f=false ).
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.