News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Doubtful dinosaur species

Started by Concavenator, July 10, 2013, 05:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Hi all :),
I have started a topic 'bout doubtful dinosaur species.There are a number of doubtful dinosaur species,which can belong to other genres,or they are misterious,or difficult to classify.In this topic we can share these doubtful dinosaurs,comment of their toys,and share our opinions about this varied group who
pics very different species.Some doubtfuls species I know are:
Saurophaganax,Yaverlandia,Jobaria,Dracorex,Asiamericana,Ceratops,Stegosaurides.If I discover more,I 'll post them.
(I know that Yaverlandia is a valid specie,but I don't know if it is a pachycephalosaurid or a maniraptoran.If someone could explaim it me ,I would be grateful)

Everything_Dinosaur

We have some of the notes and papers on Yaverlandia bitholus, the specimen was discovered in 1923 close to the village of Yaverland on the Isle of Wight, the holotype material was fused cranial material - frontals, post-orbital etc.  The frontals show thickening and it was from this evidence that the Pachycephalosaur link was made.  Having a domed skull like a Pachycephalosaur.  However, such fragmentary material does not make assessing the taxonomy of a specimen that easy, its affinities to the Pachycephalosauridae or any other dinosaur family is speculative.

Concavenator

alice

I thought it might be interesting to pick the "best" of each line. I don't have the expertise to debate the accuracy of different figures but these are my favorites from each manufacturer for various reasons.
Pass4sure Pass 4 sure
Braindumps http://mybraindumps.net

tyrantqueen

Quote from: alice on November 08, 2013, 11:11:08 AM
I thought it might be interesting to pick the "best" of each line. I don't have the expertise to debate the accuracy of different figures but these are my favorites from each manufacturer for various reasons.
I think you posted this in the wrong place...

DC

How about Saltaposuchus?  Maybe not a dinosaur but a bipedal croc.  It also has 2 two figures.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

tanystropheus

Ultrasaurus, Monoclonius, Brontosaurus....

Brachiosaurus

Does Augustina technically count now?

Splonkadumpocus

Quote from: Brachiosaurus on January 18, 2014, 07:05:33 PM
Does Augustina technically count now?

No, it's a perfectly valid genus. It just didn't have the big spikes.

DC

How about Teratosaurus, Seismosaurus,  Ultrasauros, Agathaumas, Trachodon, Hadrosaurus, Shuvisaurus

I believe many people consider Monclonius valid.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

tyrantqueen

Antrodemus?

Since Antrodemus was named before Allosaurus, shouldn't that be the correct name?

Also: Phobosuchus, Dynamosaurus imperiosus, Manospondylus gigas.

amargasaurus cazaui

Antrodemus became the accepted name for this familiar genus for over fifty years, until James Madsen published on the Cleveland-Lloyd specimens of Allosaurus and concluded that name should be used because Antrodemus was based on material with poor, if any, diagnostic features and locality information (for example, the geological formation that the single bone of Antrodemus came from is unknown).[4] Subsequent authors have agreed with this assessment and have considered Antrodemus a nomen dubium.[5][6]   

per wiki......
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Splonkadumpocus

Quote from: DC on January 20, 2014, 10:37:45 PM
How about Teratosaurus, Seismosaurus,  Ultrasauros, Agathaumas, Trachodon, Hadrosaurus, Shuvisaurus

I believe many people consider Monclonius valid.

Teratosaurus and Shuvosaurus are valid genera. They're stem-crocs, though, not dinosaurs.

Also, Hadrosaurus was redescribed in 2011 and found to be distinct.

Manatee

Quote from: Concavenator on July 10, 2013, 05:19:28 PM
Hi all :),
I have started a topic 'bout doubtful dinosaur species.There are a number of doubtful dinosaur species,which can belong to other genres,or they are misterious,or difficult to classify.In this topic we can share these doubtful dinosaurs,comment of their toys,and share our opinions about this varied group who
pics very different species.Some doubtfuls species I know are:
Saurophaganax,Yaverlandia,Jobaria,Dracorex,Asiamericana,Ceratops,Stegosaurides.If I discover more,I 'll post them.
(I know that Yaverlandia is a valid specie,but I don't know if it is a pachycephalosaurid or a maniraptoran.If someone could explaim it me ,I would be grateful)
How is Jobaria a doubtful genus? Over 95% of its skeleton is complete, and I have found no sources doubting its validity.

CAWCarcharo

What about Allosaurus lucasi and Allosaurus jimmadseni? A. lucasi in my opinion is just an Allosaurus fragilis but it's apparently valid; though A. jimmadseni seems a bit more plausibly valid but isn't currently valid. Any thoughts?

AcroSauroTaurus

To update this thread further, both Saurophaganax and Monoclonius are now valid.
I am the Dinosaur King!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.