You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jack Horner says he was forced out of his museum

Started by suspsy, August 28, 2016, 06:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoguy2

Quote from: suspsy on October 16, 2016, 06:16:04 PM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on October 07, 2016, 05:49:04 PM
Off Topic, but it's no wonder Rebor can't produce an authentic looking dinosaur if that is true; when I visited it around a year ago, the exhibits in the NHM London didn't seem to have been updated since the 90's when I was a child. There were still JP-esque raptors, info on T-rex stating that it was the largest carnivorous dinosaur to have existed, not much hint of any link between dinosaurs and birds at all, there was even a piece of text literally posing the question of whether dinosaurs were more akin to reptiles, mammals or birds. I was deeply shocked at how outdated it all was, especially for the UK's most high profile dinosaur museum. I couldn't tell if it was down to a dire lack of funding, or quite simply laziness.

I imagine it's a lack of funding. Sadly, it costs money to modify mounted skeletons or even to replace a placard with new information. I definitely agree with you that the entire gallery is badly out of date. It's also a very lousy, cramped layout that prohibits lingering at any one exhibit for too long. I'd like to see it completely gutted and revamped.

And bring back the Dynamosaurus mount! Or give it back to the AMNH if you're not gonna display it ;)
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

HD-man

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on October 07, 2016, 05:49:04 PMOff Topic, but it's no wonder Rebor can't produce an authentic looking dinosaur if that is true; when I visited it around a year ago, the exhibits in the NHM London didn't seem to have been updated since the 90's when I was a child. There were still JP-esque raptors, info on T-rex stating that it was the largest carnivorous dinosaur to have existed, not much hint of any link between dinosaurs and birds at all, there was even a piece of text literally posing the question of whether dinosaurs were more akin to reptiles, mammals or birds. I was deeply shocked at how outdated it all was, especially for the UK's most high profile dinosaur museum. I couldn't tell if it was down to a dire lack of funding, or quite simply laziness.

No offense, but the above comment comes of as pretentious/ignorant, similar to this article b-4 the author's twitter conversation w/Switek & NHM: http://sciencemadeeasy.kinja.com/natural-history-museum-barely-meets-the-scientific-stan-1664549491

Quote from: suspsy on October 16, 2016, 06:16:04 PMI imagine it's a lack of funding. Sadly, it costs money to modify mounted skeletons or even to replace a placard with new information. I definitely agree with you that the entire gallery is badly out of date. It's also a very lousy, cramped layout that prohibits lingering at any one exhibit for too long. I'd like to see it completely gutted and revamped.

To be fair, it's better now. Not completely revamped, but better nonetheless (E.g. Feathered Deinonychus models): http://newviewsonoldbones.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-shape-of-things-to-come.html
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: HD-man on October 17, 2016, 04:12:12 AM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on October 07, 2016, 05:49:04 PMOff Topic, but it's no wonder Rebor can't produce an authentic looking dinosaur if that is true; when I visited it around a year ago, the exhibits in the NHM London didn't seem to have been updated since the 90's when I was a child. There were still JP-esque raptors, info on T-rex stating that it was the largest carnivorous dinosaur to have existed, not much hint of any link between dinosaurs and birds at all, there was even a piece of text literally posing the question of whether dinosaurs were more akin to reptiles, mammals or birds. I was deeply shocked at how outdated it all was, especially for the UK's most high profile dinosaur museum. I couldn't tell if it was down to a dire lack of funding, or quite simply laziness.

No offense, but the above comment comes of as pretentious/ignorant, similar to this article b-4 the author's twitter conversation w/Switek & NHM: http://sciencemadeeasy.kinja.com/natural-history-museum-barely-meets-the-scientific-stan-1664549491

Please don't unnecessarily insult me for criticising something that is deeply flawed by simply relating the facts that I observed at the time. I made great efforts, and sufferred a great deal of pain and exhaustion (it was incredibly difficult for me to travel to and stay in london) in pretty much the sole service of visiting the museum to experience the dinosaur exhibits, and there is nothing pretentious about then being dissapointed in finding material that is misrepresenting their content and not providing the insight and inspiration i'd hoped for. I make no pretense of possessing any great knowledge of palaeontological science, in which I am actually greatly lacking, hence why I was so excited to visit an institution where I hoped and expected I might at the least learn a thing or two, yet even as someone of ignorance I was surprised that much of the information presented appeared outdated and regressive, and yes; consequently aggravating, without any apparent attempt to excuse it or re-assure visitors that it was going to be improved or worked upon. Admittedly it was foolish to suggest mere laziness had a part a play, that was just a flippant remark resulting from the heightened emotion of recalling my disappointment, but overall I was merely reporting what i had experienced, and your suggestion that there is some falsehood in that by labelling me pretentious is both patronizing and indeed very offensive. I don't take kindly to insults towards my integrity and you are evidently unreasonable in your assessment of my comments, so I'd rather not engage any further.     

Dinoguy2

Quote from: HD-man on October 17, 2016, 04:12:12 AM

Quote from: suspsy on October 16, 2016, 06:16:04 PMI imagine it's a lack of funding. Sadly, it costs money to modify mounted skeletons or even to replace a placard with new information. I definitely agree with you that the entire gallery is badly out of date. It's also a very lousy, cramped layout that prohibits lingering at any one exhibit for too long. I'd like to see it completely gutted and revamped.

To be fair, it's better now. Not completely revamped, but better nonetheless (E.g. Feathered Deinonychus models): http://newviewsonoldbones.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-shape-of-things-to-come.html

It's not pretentious and ignorant to point out how out of date the science is in a museum. Switek's response was to explain WHY it was so out of date and inaccurate, not to defend it. Museums will always be out of date because they move much slower than the actual science. So using a museum as a source for a current project, like a movie or a toy line, is an insanely bad idea which will practically guarantee the new product is also out of date. 
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

HD-man

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on October 17, 2016, 08:58:47 AMPlease don't unnecessarily insult me for criticising something that is deeply flawed by simply relating the facts that I observed at the time

I never said anything about you, but about how your comment came off. BIG difference. W/that in mind, please be more careful about how you word your comments. Maybe my original comment was too harshly worded, but my original point still stands, especially given the "quite simply laziness" part of your comment.

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on October 17, 2016, 03:44:34 PMIt's not pretentious and ignorant to point out how out of date the science is in a museum.

I never said it was. All I said was that Silvanusaurus's comment & DefectiveBrayne's article come off as if they were expecting a 90's museum exhibition to be up-to-the-minute, more-or-less ignoring the time/energy/money/etc. that goes into updating a museum exhibition.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

DinoToyForum

Moderator watching. C:-) I appreciate you all letting it go now. Thanks!

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: HD-man on October 17, 2016, 09:23:08 PM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on October 17, 2016, 08:58:47 AMPlease don't unnecessarily insult me for criticising something that is deeply flawed by simply relating the facts that I observed at the time

I never said anything about you, but about how your comment came off. BIG difference. W/that in mind, please be more careful about how you word your comments. Maybe my original comment was too harshly worded, but my original point still stands, especially given the "quite simply laziness" part of your comment.
All I said was that Silvanusaurus's comment & DefectiveBrayne's article come off as if they were expecting a 90's museum exhibition to be up-to-the-minute, more-or-less ignoring the time/energy/money/etc. that goes into updating a museum exhibition.

No, I reject everything you're saying, because it's unreasonable, patronising and is becoming itself quite suited to the very words you used to criticise my original comment. I can't engage in a discourse with you as you seem to percieve that your inisight and perspective is of far greater inherent value than anything I could say, and you're comments appear to be based on conclusions drawn from a misinterpretation of my wording, without awareness of the context and the reality of the attitude behind it. You should be aware that it is very easy to misinterpret and jump to conclusions about somebodies attitude during online dialogue, and attacking someones expression, and thereby the person themselves, because of your assumptions can only reflect poorly on your character.
I cannot express how incredibly insulted and angered I am by your own attitude towards me, and in particular your suggestion that I 'be more careful how I word my comments', but I am attempting not to rise to the incitement of it, because I'm trying to uphold the civility and shared respect for which I am advocating.

DinoToyForum

24 hour ban for Silvanusaurus for breach of rule 4. Respect...moderator requests.  C:-)

To the others in the thread, take heed. Thanks for your understanding.

ltokuda

I found out that youtube had the interview with Jack Horner at the 2016 Dino Fest in L.A.  In it, he talks about his involvement in the JP movies.  Here's a link to the first part of that interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsgxr7aO_IE

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.