You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Looking for a fairly large resin Trex model/miniature kit

Started by StarFyre, June 07, 2017, 07:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarFyre

Hello,

I found some nice Trex resin unpainted sets at Dan's DInosaurs, but i'm affraid i need a larger one.  Goal is to carve out much of it and convert/resulpt parts of it to turn it into this:

Basically, for newly announced new D&D adventure, one of the monsters players can face is a giant undead Tyrannosaurus rex which creates zombies in its stomach, which then fall out of its mouth and also attack you.  :)

As you can see in the picture; the zombies are humanoid; so 5-6 ft tall for most, so you can imagine how big that dinosaur is.  Gale Force Nine that creates the D&D Collector Series resin miniatures announced some of what they are producing for this new adventure (Tomb of Annihilation) but stated they wanted to make that trex but its too much for what they can do, so i figure I can convert my own and use Games Workshop plastic Zombies to add into the throat/mouth.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Regards,

Sanjay

RobinGoodfellow

..well, one of the bigger T Rex I know is from Oxmox Studio and it's 1:10 :

http://www.studiooxmox.com/juicebox/diorama_2015/diorama_2015.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvlPotIjJyA&t=1123s

Is it big enough for you ?

StarFyre

I dont see a price or dimensions listed. Guess have to contact them.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: StarFyre on June 07, 2017, 08:43:00 PM
I dont see a price or dimensions listed. Guess have to contact them.

On the Youtube review, the guy talks about price and dimension.
Just follow the link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvlPotIjJyA) or go on Youtube and type "oxmox trex statue unboxing/review".

StarFyre

Ok that may be a bit TOO big :P

also way too costly :(

maybe i need to check for garage kits or something.  Not prepainted and not a collector version.

Found a nice spinosaurus from pegasus (resin i think) unpainted.  Not as large but that i just want for a normal dino...

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Sanjay

DinoLord

stargatedalek

What scale are D&D miniatures in typically? You can probably use that scale and up it by about 1.5 or 2 times and then use a Tyrannosaurus in that scale.

IE: if D&D miniatures are in 1:40th scale you could probably use a 1:20th or maybe even 1:30th scale Tyrannosaurus to get one in that size range.

If you want to use it as a game piece or perhaps as a "map piece"/display/etc. (I don't play a lot of tabletop games as I'm sure you can tell [though I'd like to dip my toe in someday]) you will probably be moving or transporting it fairly often, so resin might be a poor choice of material.

Since you're going to be heavily customizing it you may actually find some of the larger Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurus make a good starting point. This may be the only occasion I would ever recommend the largest JP/// Tyrannosaurus, it's already in a fairly dynamic pose that could make for a very cool piece if you fixed it up, and the harder plastic is better suited to customization than the rubber Kenner counterparts.

paintingdinos

Quote from: StarFyre on June 07, 2017, 10:09:02 PM

Found a nice spinosaurus from pegasus (resin i think) unpainted.  Not as large but that i just want for a normal dino...

Pegasus makes a Rex in the same scale as the spino. The kit is very reasonably priced.

http://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/tyrannosaurus-vinyl-kit-by-pegasus/

StarFyre

Hey all,

so older D&D minis are 28 mm and newer ones range from 30-35 (with majority being around 32 I would say).  For example, a 7 ft tall mummy miniature is around 38 mm tall. Most 6 ft tall characters are around 30-34 or so. 

According to wiki, the actual scale equivalent for 30mm to 34mm is in the range:  1:54 - 1:48   (different companies do different things with their miniature heights)

Regards,

Sanjay

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: StarFyre on June 08, 2017, 12:02:51 PM
Hey all,

so older D&D minis are 28 mm and newer ones range from 30-35 (with majority being around 32 I would say).  For example, a 7 ft tall mummy miniature is around 38 mm tall. Most 6 ft tall characters are around 30-34 or so. 

According to wiki, the actual scale equivalent for 30mm to 34mm is in the range:  1:54 - 1:48   (different companies do different things with their miniature heights)

Regards,

Sanjay

I'm using a human figure at 1:40 into all my Flickr Album (45mm high).

It's from Schleich and (at 1:40) it should be a bit higher than your 1:48-1:54 miniatures.

Here you can find my T Rex collection with the Schleich reference in ALL photos.
You just can see if there is one you could use for a customization.
Just click on picture you're interested in for info about brand.
I hope it helps.

Tyrannosaurus Flickr Album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157664175480761

Others meat-eating Dinosaurs:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157660731574677/page1

:)

StarFyre

Dinolord  - thanks; that pose would be too much extra work for me to refigure it how i want :) hehe

Robin/Stargate/paintingdinos - i'm leaning towards the Pegasus trex.  I dont like the underbelly that much BUT i'm guessing its more natural for an animal of that size, compared to some toys that make Trex's look more lean.  Not sure though.  But being, what looks like resin, i imagine it will be easy to grind down (dremel).  Some plastic toys, the plastic behaves a bit strangely to a grinder.

The other one i think is interesting since its pose would be better (again, not sure if a trex would really be able to stand like this), is this one:

http://www.collecta.biz/en/collections/prehistoric-life/88255
This has the best looking pose of them IMHO but the teeth are horrible (plastic toy teeth always are). Also hard to tell, even from a video review, how the scale details are. Its size is great though.

Also looking at this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DINOSAUR-1-20-TYRANNOSAURUS-rex-UNBUILT-Resin-Kit-26-LARGE-Model-KIT-/201866031462?hash=item2f00273166:g:R7YAAOSwOVpXcvp3
This one is a great size and a resin kit so should have great detail and be easy to work with (ie. cutting it up, drilling, etc)

The type of work i'll be doing, in the original art, the skin is smooth -  i assume since its dessecated like a zombie, the surface layer of the skin is for the most part gone, and thats the tissue below showing (with holes in it showing the bones, etc)

My steps, to do:

* use course sandpaper and sand down sections of the dino to remove many of the surface scales
* the dremel grinder bit to gouge out sections in the head, legs, and especially belly
* resculpt bones inside the gouged out parts
* add thin layers of hanging skin, tendons, etc to the model
* it appears to have no tongue so the tongue has to be removed and the crawling zombies added in the throat and mouth
* break the lower jaw and attach it off center, also giving a much wider mouth

if i get plastic, will need to redo all the teeth i imagine..

Regards,

Sanjay

StarFyre

thanks all.

I've ordered the pegasus trex.  may be a tad smaller than i'd like BUT for that price, its pretty much the best from a price POV with the details it has, being similar to resin kits.  Should be easy enough for me to destroy the surface, break the lower jaw and reattach, etc.

Will then get the spinosaurus cause that would be fun (and also usable in several D&D adventures)

Regards,

Sanjay

Huskies

It might be too late but have you considered Shane Foulkes t-rex (Cretaceous Creations of America)? It is 31 inches long (1/15 scale).

StarFyre

I saw that ...  but too costly.  His dinos are very nice though :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.