News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic Park V Toys Teased

Started by Pachyrhinosaurus, June 01, 2017, 05:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Likeness rights also means having to pay the actor whose likeness is being used, so many toy companies just forego them altogether.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: suspsy on June 04, 2017, 04:42:40 PM
The human figures have always been irrelevant to me. On the rare occasions when I ended up with a human figure because it was included in a set with a dinosaur I wanted, I gave it away.

I'm the exact opposite. I doubt any of the dinosaurs will be better than what is already on the market, and even if they objectively are the Kenner versions will always have that nostalgia factor that edges them forward. There will be no feathers or accuracy of any kind, so I don't really see the reason in collecting them as I already have my JP fix. What I really want are humans and vehicles, as even Kenner never got those quite right enough. Unless the dinosaurs are mind-blowingly amazing, what I am really after are some JP humans who actually look like their movie counterparts.

Blade-of-the-Moon

humans + dinosaurs  is the foundation of what's cool about JP , i want both and vehicles , buildings/playsets, ect.. i want all of it!'

I recall being ecstatic as a kid when I read two words " capture gear" , being a dino-riders fan with the whole brain boxing deal gave me ample mental imagery  , soon i could use my humans and vehicles and capture dinosaurs for my own backyard park... it was epic!

BlueKrono

Quote from: suspsy on June 04, 2017, 05:34:25 PM
Likeness rights also means having to pay the actor whose likeness is being used, so many toy companies just forego them altogether.

Is that why the character figures looked nothing like the actors in the movie?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Loon

Quote from: BlueKrono on June 05, 2017, 04:23:43 AM

I don't think they couldn't afford likeness rights, as series 2 did have improved and more accurate likenesses, even including the actors faces on some of the collector cards. I think sculpting for toys back then, especially those with articulation, was just more simplified. Think of the Star Wars vintage figures, even they had the actors face right next to the figure and didn't have an amazing likeness.

terrorchicken

I have a lot of issues regarding Mattel over their doll lines(including the recent running of 3 formerly great lines into the ground) but toys aimed at boys is a whole other thing I have no experience with. Im crossing my fingers but wont be surprised if things turn out disappointing.

Halichoeres

I expect that the reason the Kenner toys didn't look like the actors is that Kenner wasn't good at making faces then. These days high-end companies will get scans of people's heads for use in making toys. Actors involved in a project that will have a lot of merchandise will have a royalty built into their contracts but according to this it's only a couple percent, probably not enough to stop a company that has even a minor commitment to making quality toys:
(https://www.backstage.com/news/merchandising-clauses-for-actors/)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Loon on June 05, 2017, 06:12:49 AM

I don't think they couldn't afford likeness rights, as series 2 did have improved and more accurate likenesses, even including the actors faces on some of the collector cards. I think sculpting for toys back then, especially those with articulation, was just more simplified. Think of the Star Wars vintage figures, even they had the actors face right next to the figure and didn't have an amazing likeness.

I think the first series of toys was probably in production too early to follow the film very closely. The figures both human and dinosaur seem to have been based on the book rather than the movie. Series 2 had the first real movie based figures. They clearly had likeness rights for series 2, I think they probably just didn't know who all the actors were going to be when they started series 1!
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on June 15, 2017, 09:43:39 AM
Quote from: Loon on June 05, 2017, 06:12:49 AM

I think the first series of toys was probably in production too early to follow the film very closely. The figures both human and dinosaur seem to have been based on the book rather than the movie. Series 2 had the first real movie based figures. They clearly had likeness rights for series 2, I think they probably just didn't know who all the actors were going to be when they started series 1!

Thats a good point.  I actually liked how the toys were based off the book,  i had the toys before the movie too.  I can actually pin point JP as being "that" movie, the one where you realize a movie isn't an exact copy of a book.   

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.