News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor Club Selection: Baby Stegosaurus "Clover"

Started by joossa, February 06, 2017, 12:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 10, 2017, 04:05:05 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on February 10, 2017, 03:52:52 PM
How developed are the plates and spines supposed to be on a stegosaurid hatchling? Perhaps, the ferns are supposed to give the illusion of the plates
Unsure if we have any embryonic or hatchling stegosaurs to allow a definite as to how defined or no the plates or spines might have been however....you can use some rather basic logic to infer to some degree at least. Consider a young unhatched stegosaurus within an egg....the last thing you would want or have is bony armor projecting from various points behind yourself.....reason being as you move or stir within the shell you do not want anything that might pierce the shell, or the structures within it until such time as the embryo is fully developed enough to hatch out. Said Logic could then be applied to the triceratops hatchling , with its projecting horns .It would see most sensible such structures would remain subdued or not fully calcified to prevent damage to the host egg from within. Otherwise one wrong move, and valuable fluids, and egg content would be spilled as well as allowing intrusion from the elements, insects and predators.

Thanks for the explanation, seems logical. I don't know why the thought never came across my head before.

amargasaurus cazaui

Nice thing about this forum....we each specialize differently and know certain areas better than perhaps another who does not spend the time with that particular aspect.  I own four different dinosaur eggs so I tend to understand that more......quite sure you have areas you know much better than I. If you had spent the amount I have on eggs and shell you would be more drawn to that I believe
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Victoria's Cantina

So yeah, St. Patrick's Day is only weeks away. Clover, where are you?

Reptilia

Saint Patrick's day was last friday, is "Clover" postponed for the Easter festivities? Any official word from Rebor?

Dyscrasia

From Rebor's facebook page: A bit late for St. Patrick's day that is...but better late than never right? Introducing REBOR Club Selection: Clover the hatchling Stegosaurus 1000 worldwide limited edition statue features ferns with wire inserted bendable stems, two pieces of free egg shells that can be placed anywhere you like, and of course - a four-leaf clover to bring you fame, wealth, love and health!

Jose S.M.

It's not the kind of product that I would get but, one can deny it's pretty cute!

Reptilia

Not a fan of Rebor's club selections, but this one is the best so far and it's kinda nice. Now it's time for Carnotaurus and "Spring Heeled Jack" pics!

ceratopsian

It really is rather cute and might be a candidate to join my various egg/hatchling models.  It's just the shamrock that puts me off.  I'm hoping it can be extracted successfully!

empire3569

I like this, I only have the "Rudy" baby T-rex as I find their other hatchlings to be off-putting, but I will definitely be picking this one up. The only other hatchling that could tempt me would be an ankylosaurus or apatosaurus....

ceratopsian

Quote from: empire3569 on March 22, 2017, 03:58:54 PM
I like this, I only have the "Rudy" baby T-rex as I find their other hatchlings to be off-putting, but I will definitely be picking this one up. The only other hatchling that could tempt me would be an ankylosaurus or apatosaurus....

I should clarify that my other egg/hatchlings are not Rebor models - none of them tempted me enough.

Fenestra

Of all the hatchlings produced by Rebor so far, I like this one the best.
I like the little clover in the mouth, but the fern "wallpaper" does nothing to me.
They can keep their broken eggshells and ferns and knock off $5 of the total price.  >:D

tanystropheus

$5 isn't all that much. You could shop around and probably find it for $5 cheaper at various retailers.

The clover is probably removable.

I actually really like the fern touch (it should look classy as a standalone piece). Since I've purchased all the previous Club Selections, I need a change of pace. However, I don't have the eofauna -I have nothing against it, but it is too expensive. I really did not expect the Club Selection line to keep going.

REBOR, please make a Euoplocephalus hatchling and release it for $49. Hint, hint  ;) >:D

Lanthanotus

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 11, 2017, 06:43:58 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 10, 2017, 04:05:05 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on February 10, 2017, 03:52:52 PM
How developed are the plates and spines supposed to be on a stegosaurid hatchling? Perhaps, the ferns are supposed to give the illusion of the plates
Unsure if we have any embryonic or hatchling stegosaurs to allow a definite as to how defined or no the plates or spines might have been however....you can use some rather basic logic to infer to some degree at least. Consider a young unhatched stegosaurus within an egg....the last thing you would want or have is bony armor projecting from various points behind yourself.....reason being as you move or stir within the shell you do not want anything that might pierce the shell, or the structures within it until such time as the embryo is fully developed enough to hatch out. Said Logic could then be applied to the triceratops hatchling , with its projecting horns .It would see most sensible such structures would remain subdued or not fully calcified to prevent damage to the host egg from within. Otherwise one wrong move, and valuable fluids, and egg content would be spilled as well as allowing intrusion from the elements, insects and predators.

Thanks for the explanation, seems logical. I don't know why the thought never came across my head before.

While that explanation seems logic in a certain way, recent reptiles show how sharp edges and soft tissue can develop together nice and secure.

The reason why embryos and hatchings of several reptiles just boast comparably small or no spikes and ridges is, that those structures are often related to a maturing process, lot of them are there to impress mates, a trait younglings obviously do not need. Such structures would only take up precious ressources and space within the limited environment of the egg.

Structures that are required for defense, catching prey or locomotion however are fully developed in embryos. Lot of reptile species rely on sharp claws for locomotion and digging hideouts, some also rely on spikes or spines for defense, all rely on a structure capable of ripping or breaking through their egg shell. I am unsure about how spikes and spines are protected (as there's just a few species that hatch fully spiked as the famous Thorny Devil - and believe me, they are spiky, not soft spiky as the American Horned Lizards), but claws and egg tooth are protected against accidentally severing surrounding soft structures by a temporary tissue called neonychium. This membrane is shed during the hatching process to allow the embroy using its egg tooth (and in some species their claws aswell) to open the egg.

joossa

Really loving all the green. Might pick this up at some time.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Victoria's Cantina

I like it quite a bit. It's probably the nicest of the hatchlings. The only thing that puts me off a bit is the lack of creases in the "elbow" area. Or maybe that's normal since it's a hatchling and hasn't really had time to develop skin folds.

Everything_Dinosaur

The limited edition Rebor Hatchling Stegosaurus "Clover" will be in stock at Everything Dinosaur next week (from Monday 15th May onwards, or thereabouts).  Only 1,000 being made, to reserve your replica contact: Reserve "Clover" at Everything Dinosaur.

Everything_Dinosaur

The Rebor Hatchling Stegosaurus model, a limited edition replica "Clover" is now in stock at Everything Dinosaur: Rebor "Clover" Stegosaurus Replica

Victoria's Cantina

For anyone who may be interested, here's my review of Clover. I must say that she's quickly becoming my favorite Rebor piece!

https://youtu.be/fExky7T4GqI

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.