News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Scalpers

Started by Reptilia, April 02, 2018, 11:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

Not to start another argument about bootleggers, but I think that scalpers are to be put on the same level.

tyrantqueen

Maybe I don't visit the right places, but I haven't encountered very many scalpers in this community. I can think of one or two on eBay. The TF collecting community, on the other had, is riddled with scalpers....

Ravonium

To my knowledge, scalpers are a very minor, if not non-existent problem in this community. This is likely due to the fact that many companies mass produce their figures, making scalping them quite pointless.

This being said, there is one eBay seller (whom I predict is going to be brought up in this thread frequently) that I would consider a scalper.

Cretaceous Crab

What is the definition of a scalper? I was under the impression that scalpers are the ones that go mass-purchase large quantities of high-in-demand items (for example, JW:FK toys), then resell at a higher price, knowing that many will pay those prices out of ignorance and/or impatience to get the product. Is this accurate?

Ravonium

Quote from: LeviRawl on April 02, 2018, 02:24:21 PM
I was under the impression that scalpers are the ones that go mass-purchase large quantities of high-in-demand items (for example, JW:FK toys), then resell at a higher price.

Yes, that is what scalpers are.

Minmiminime

Could those who sell reasonably priced items, but charge almighty shipping costs come under this definition?
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Ravonium

Quote from: Minmiminime on April 02, 2018, 02:35:13 PM
Could those who sell reasonably priced items, but charge almighty shipping costs come under this definition?

I think sellers who do that are exempt from that definition.

Despite that, sellers with exorbitant shipping costs are much more common than scalpers, at least in this community.

BlueKrono

I see a lot of scalpers from Japan, both in eBay and otherwise. The kaiju collecting market is almost unbearable. Thankfully we have at least one forum member here who can get us good deals from within Japan.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Reptilia

Talking of scalpers, the current Amazon ads here on the forum have the FK roarivores listed at 50 bucks. Ridiculous.

Ravonium

The products I'm seeing advertised appear to be 'temporarily out of stock'  ::)  Gee, I wonder why?

Reptilia

To me says "in stock" on any of them. Also sells the super colossal T-Rex for 125 dollars:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me%3DA3VYZTYMOVB0CJ&field-keywords=jurassic+world+fallen+kingdom

Ravonium

Quote from: Reptilia on April 04, 2018, 08:47:50 PM
To me says "in stock" on any of them. Also sells the super colossal T-Rex for 125 dollars:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me%3DA3VYZTYMOVB0CJ&field-keywords=jurassic+world+fallen+kingdom

I do see the listings you are referring to in that link, but I'm not seeing them advertised here. I'm guessing it's just our locations, as it appears they don't ship to my country.

Reptilia

They don't ship to my country either. I assume it is a US seller who does not provide international shipping at all.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: LeviRawl on April 02, 2018, 02:24:21 PM
What is the definition of a scalper? I was under the impression that scalpers are the ones that go mass-purchase large quantities of high-in-demand items (for example, JW:FK toys), then resell at a higher price, knowing that many will pay those prices out of ignorance and/or impatience to get the product. Is this accurate?

This looks like such a case :
A very rare item that I have not yet seen on ebay - and suddenly appears -
and I suspect with a considerable stock :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152964242432?ViewItem=&item=152964242432

Reptilia

BrontoScorpio

Hi, Reptilia.
This is not the same case.
when faced with figures offered in redicolous prices - one can just choose on to go and buy it somewhere else.

This is not a thread of just examples of high price - for that you can find hundreds ...
We were talking here on items no longer available on market and that are extremely rare - that were deliberately stock piled in the past -
and now are being offered when no other alternative is available.

And I was not suggesting the price of that figure is exaturated -
It's about the usual price they go on the market.
I was talking of the method.

Reptilia

I'm not trying to set the definition of scalper, I didn't even start this thread cause it actually originated from a comment I posted in the JW toys thread which Dr Admin found off topic, and therefore moved away on a topic of its own. By the way I think that scalpers are also people like these, which obviously are trying to exploit potential buyers in some way.

tyrantqueen

The wonderful TFWiki has a good definition of the word: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Toy_scalping

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.