News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Paleo Pals ™ - Dusty the Diplocaulus Kickstarter

Started by Flaffy, August 30, 2017, 03:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Darn shame this is ending soon. I'm going to have to miss out on this one, like I did with their previous Anomalocaris one. Hoping I can get it down the road.

On another note, I'm a bit surprised that the binomial name for the Diplocaulus is written properly, but when it comes to T. rex, it's done wrong, in the campaign description, which is a bit odd.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Fembrogon

I saw this and quickly backed it before it ended. Dusty is estimated to take 9 months to finish manufacturing, so it'll be a good wait.

Here's the initial teaser video they did (catch the hilarious endorsement by Robert Bakker at the end):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6PYbZMkWu4

...And here's more of Bakker, talking about Dusty's... Poop.  :))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyq7pU2Uv5E

alexeratops

This is super cool! I would definitely get this for a cousin or little sibling.

But wasn't there something going around about Diplocaulus having skin flaps connecting the end of its head to its body? Or was that debunked?
like a bantha!

Halichoeres

Quote from: alexeratops on September 07, 2017, 10:35:57 PM

But wasn't there something going around about Diplocaulus having skin flaps connecting the end of its head to its body? Or was that debunked?

There are resting traces that show it had a pleural membrane which would have at least partially connected the head to the body.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

RobinGoodfellow

Exhibit at Museum of Natural History, University of Michigan:

BlueKrono

But that's the defining feature of Diplocaulus! Without the boomerang it would lose all appeal. Just like if you did something crazy like put feathers on Velociraptors or something.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

alexeratops

Quote from: BlueKrono on September 08, 2017, 06:18:29 PM

But that's the defining feature of Diplocaulus! Without the boomerang it would lose all appeal. Just like if you did something crazy like put feathers on Velociraptors or something.

Haha, but I know what you mean.

So, would this stuffed animal be inaccurate? Or just taking a less agreed-upon opinion?
like a bantha!

Fembrogon

Paleo Pals is actually in progress updating their Anomalocaris plush, so it's possible we could see a redone Diplocaulus down the way too.

Reptilia

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 08, 2017, 12:59:12 AM
There are resting traces that show it had a pleural membrane which would have at least partially connected the head to the body.

That makes a lot of sense, sounds like a much more reasonable reconstruction.

Fembrogon

Well, things have been pretty quiet, but hopefully these will be finished and start shipping in the next few months. Those who missed out on the Kickstarter will probably be able to purchase one anyway; Andy the Anomalocaris is available for purchase on their site, so I'm sure Dusty will get the same treatment.

Fembrogon

We have an update!!

QuoteTOYS TOYS TOYS!
We just got exciting news from the factory! We are expecting 200 plush toys to arrive in Colorado by the end of the week! Safety testing is complete and our first 200 are being shipped so we can inspect them for quality. If the toys meet our expectations, then we will go ahead and start filling orders! WHOOHOO!

;D ;D ;D

Fembrogon

He's here!! AND HE'S ADORABLE:

WOOK AT DAT FACE!

Would someone remind me what the policy on plush toys is for the blog? I'd be delighted to whip up a review sometime, if that's acceptable.

Halichoeres

There are already some plush reviews on the blog, should be fine!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stegosauria

Already some Paleo Pals plushies was reviewed besides some other plushies but I think this looks the best.

PlesiosaurusNessy

@Fembrogon: I really like your plushy Diplocaulus! He´s very cute ! I own a few plushy dinosaurs,too!
The biggest of them is a giant Triceratops, he measures 1,10 m(110 cm)long and 50 cm in height(highest point of top of hips)!
Paleontology: Science for the love to dinosaurs!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.