You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Tyrannosaurus rex wins Prehistoric times magazine's best figure of 2017

Started by Jose S.M., April 25, 2018, 05:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fembrogon

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit I don't own this figure yet.  :-[ I should remedy that soon.

...Wait, the new PT issue is out?! Sweet; I hope mine is coming in.

ceratopsian

Quote from: Fembrogon on April 26, 2018, 10:23:56 PM

...Wait, the new PT issue is out?! Sweet; I hope mine is coming in.

My copy turned up in the UK two days ago - it took me by surprise!

amargasaurus cazaui

Some other place.....some other time......a new headline  from Facebook......."and winning his nineteenth consecutive Watson Award, is Safari's own scultptor, whom the award is named for...."
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Bokisaurus on April 26, 2018, 07:11:00 PM
No surprise, Big congratulations to Safari and Doug.
Unfortunately, PT magazine where it was announced made a HUGE mistake with the photo that accompanied the announcement! They have the still unreleased CollectA 2018 T. rex photo instead of the Safari, Yikes! I sent Mike an email about it :D

Speaking of, CollectA also won the non-dinosaur prehistoric animal figure with their Dimorphodon figure, so congrats to them as well ^-^

I'm very happy for Doug and Safari is my favorite company and I understand that the feathered Tyrannosaurus rex is the best, although I also like other figures of Doug that year as the feathered velociraptor (the best that has been done by a company).

On the other hand I did not know that the best prehistoric animal not dinosaur by the Prehistoric Times company had gone to the beautiful dimorphodon of Collecta. I also congratulate you. Congratulations to both companies Thank you for the Boki information.

And especially for Doug and the Safari brand. They're unstoppable!  ;)  8)

PumperKrickel

Jose S.M.

From what I've read it's not completely debunked the amount of feathering it has. It could be that, it could be less, it could be none. So far I've read that the skin impressions with scales are not extensive enough to completely rule out extensive feathering. I think that until a mummy like the hadrosaur Dakota or the Borealopelta is found, we should be open to possibilities. And regarding anatomy and proportions, it's still one of the best Tyrannosaurus made yet.

PumperKrickel

Jose S.M.

Well I agree with you mostly. I love the Tyrannosaurus, I think it has merits as a winner and still think it's on the realm of possibility that it was close to that in real life, but seeing the 2017 outings in retrospective I got to say that my favorites are the Psittacosaurus and Coelophysis (also Einiosaurus but that's cause I'm a ceratopsid fan). Also love the Deinocheirus, specially the head, it tops any other Deinocheirus I've seen. The sculpt detail in those very little figures is amazing.

amargasaurus cazaui

Obviously an embarassment of riches when we all can sit and name multiple other equally stunning pieces that could have won submitted by Safari and Doug in particular....

Side note the Feathers/scales thing, did anyone else see anything regarding the unpublished material coming from Mongolia/China? I did not get a solid look at the entire thing this past weekend at the show I was at, but I saw an image of a clearly scaled large section stated as being from the thoracic area of a tyrannosaurid ....from that country. (perhaps a splinter topic for admins)
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Halichoeres

Late to the party, but congrats, Doug! It's getting so the only suspense is which of your sculpts wins :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

This step with the deserved successes that Doug Watson has as the best creator of toy dinosaurs in the prestigious magazine "Prehistoric Times" is on track to become the Giacomo Agostini of the best paleoartist in figures of dinosaurs.  ;)

Sincerely, I am very happy because he is a very fond member of DTF and very accessible when it comes to contact him.  :)

Dino Scream3232

Actually called it over a year ago that this model would win lol. And rightly so. Congrats Doug. Another well deserved win.

SidB

Re: reply #136 on the Mojo Fun thread, I think that Reptilia's comment that "mediocre" companies are unable to fully utilize and actualize the capabilities of great paleoartists is relevant here. Doug's remarkable talent, concentration to detail and experience would be wasted, at least in part, with one of the so-so companies. Clearly Safari seems to give its artists the possibility to really be all they can be. We are the beneficiaries of this productive partnership. Well done to both sides of the coin!

Shonisaurus

Although this year is going to be very close in the figures of toy dinosaurs which is going to be the best figure of 2018 by the magazine Prehistoric Times, I understand that two of the favorite figures of Doug for that award are the triceratops and the ankylosaurus Safari 2018.

They are very nice and very cool figures.

SidB

Ditto- these are worthy successors for the future "best figure," especially the Triceratops, IMO, the best mass-produced  example of the genus ever made.

Reptilia

Quote from: SidB on May 15, 2018, 05:43:33 AM
Re: reply #136 on the Mojo Fun thread, I think that Reptilia's comment that "mediocre" companies are unable to fully utilize and actualize the capabilities of great paleoartists is relevant here. Doug's remarkable talent, concentration to detail and experience would be wasted, at least in part, with one of the so-so companies. Clearly Safari seems to give its artists the possibility to really be all they can be. We are the beneficiaries of this productive partnership. Well done to both sides of the coin!

For what it's worth, personally I'm not satisfied at all of Safari's render of Doug's sculpts. That's the main reason I never bothered with Safari figures. I think that if Doug was employed by Collecta or Papo we'd have far better models. Even Schleich has better production standards.

John

Quote from: Reptilia on May 20, 2018, 02:03:26 PM

For what it's worth, personally I'm not satisfied at all of Safari's render of Doug's sculpts. That's the main reason I never bothered with Safari figures. I think that if Doug was employed by Collecta or Papo we'd have far better models. Even Schleich has better production standards.
As I have been a customer of Safari's products for over 25 years,I can tell you that Safari Ltd. actually does have high quality standards.There is a reason why Safari often wins these PT polls for best of the year.And it isn't in spite of "low quality".
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Neosodon

Were do you buy your safari figures from? Mine have always arrived in great condition.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

John

Quote from: Neosodon on May 24, 2018, 07:03:10 AM

Were do you buy your safari figures from? Mine have always arrived in great condition.
Mine have always been in great condition too.If there is one thing that Safari Ltd. models do have,it's very sharp detail that does match that of the prototype sculpts.For anyone to say otherwise,that person would have to be either blind or just plain lying about it.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

SidB

Right , John. IMO the Safari sculpts, accuracy-wise, have become the new Battats (uniformity of scale aside).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: