You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Help identifying vintage Tyrannosauruss Rex Toy?

Started by shadowsowner, June 03, 2018, 06:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowsowner

Hi.  I collect lots of different things and in an old box from an estate sale found this interesting looking T Rex toy.  It looks to me to date prob from the 60s (maybe later  - not sure).  It's plastic and the head has a "nodder" mechanism that you can see and the feet and tail swivel.  There is a dial/knob on the side that maybe made a noise at somepoint - again, not sure.

To me, it's really arty and cool looking and I love the eyes - I'd just like to learn more about it if anyone recognizes it.  I tried searching for pics like it and couldn't find any.

I posted pics of it here:  https://imgur.com/a/sdECRvs

Thanks!

DinoToyForum

Hmm, I don't know what it is, but the most striking thing about it to me are the human-like five-fingered hands (and four-toed feet). I've seen T. rex portryaed with three fingers before, but never five! Bizarre. I bet someone here will be able to ID it.

Edit - I added one of your pictures to your post.  C:-)

Dilopho

Are those squares solar panels maybe?
Perhaps it's one of those thingies that charge up and nod, like the dancing flowers you see in the front of cars.

Dilopho

In any case, It looks very similar to the HG Toys T. rex. Yours is way smoother and less accurate, though.

shadowsowner

The panels are just flat plastic - i wonder if stickers or something might have gone on them.  Also, sorry for not posting the pictures directly on the forum - it seemed like that feature wasn't activated for me but if there's a way to do it I can post them directly.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: shadowsowner on June 03, 2018, 08:41:37 PM
The panels are just flat plastic - i wonder if stickers or something might have gone on them.  Also, sorry for not posting the pictures directly on the forum - it seemed like that feature wasn't activated for me but if there's a way to do it I can post them directly.

Here's how to post images: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=173.0 Your images are already hosted by imgur so you just need to insert the url and code.

shadowsowner

Thanks admin for the help on posting!  Great forum and blog -  I may have to add dino toys to my collecting!

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DinoToyForum

Quote from: shadowsowner on June 03, 2018, 09:45:23 PM
Thanks admin for the help on posting!  Great forum and blog -  I may have to add dino toys to my collecting!

No problem! Thanks and I'm glad you've got a positive ID. I wasn't aware of the One Million BC line by Mego, so I've learned something, too!

shadowsowner

Wow!  Thanks CityRaptor and Admin - I would have never figured it out myself - I hope the viewers of the forum liked sseing the pics

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Dilopho

Huh, you learn something new every day! Never heard of those ones before.

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: Dilopho on June 03, 2018, 08:17:02 PM

In any case, It looks very similar to the HG Toys T. rex. Yours is way smoother and less accurate, though.

Hey I used to have that one! Nice jog down memory lane.

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's a very nice Rex, been hunting one down for awhile now!

Dilopho

I'm not a fan of the old dumpy dinosaurs...the only retro dinosaurs I like are from when people figured out they were a whole lot more agile, like the old schleich t. rex, which looks like it can actually run if it wants to.

Archinto

This is an old nodder toy. Ive seen all kinds of nodder critters, but this is the first t rex ive come across. Very cool! Ill do some research to see who made it. If its something you would be willing to sell, let me know!
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.