News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Questions about Shapeways

Started by Kaur_RP, February 12, 2022, 01:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaur_RP

Hi there. Long time lurker, first time posting.

I've known of Shapeways for a while now, I've seen quite a few models on there that I'd love to buy and have customized, but I don't know a lot about the site nor 3D printed models in general. I'm hoping some people here can help me out with some questions.

1. Is Shapeways a legit and reliable site?

2. What's the quality of the models like? Are they weak? Flimsy? Brittle? Strong? Light?

3. What do the models feel like? Just going off images alone I've always imagined they'd have a sand paper-like texture

4. What are they like to paint? Can they be painted just like any other model?

5. What are they like to customize/resculpt? I've seen a few models that I really like but would like to change / add a couple things (for the most part, bulking up some models that are shrink wrapped). Would epoxy putty work?

Cheers

paintingdinos

Welcome to the forum  :)

I've ordered lots of things from shapeways. They are a legit and reputable company. I've never had any issues with them.

They offer several different types of material to print in, and the quality of details depends entirely on which you (and the seller) select for the model.

The "White Natural Versatile Plastic" has the rough, grainy texture that I think many people associate with Shapeways. It captures some fine details, especially on larger models, but isn't the best choice IMO.

The "Smooth Fine Detail" option is basically always the best for capturing crisp, small details. They feel like smooth plastic, little to no texture.

Here are examples of both:

Unpainted. The stark white Para is the "White Natural" and the more cloudy Cryos are the "Smooth Fine Detail".

With paint:

Both are fine to paint, but the Natural White, having a texture, is going to take more time, more paint, and be rougher on your brush. Painting the Smooth Fine is mostly like painting any other plastic model.

Most prints are hollow to save on materials/cost, so ALL of them are, in my experience, very light and fragile. The plastic is stiff and brittle, you should be careful while handling.

I've never sculpted anything on mine but I imagine it wouldn't be an issue. A firmer epoxy like green stuff might actually make them sturdier.

Fenestra

Hi!  :)
I've ordered a few dinosaur models from Shapeways in the past. Never had a problem.
The smaller the scale, the more "flimsy" they would feel to me.
The ones I received were all hollow inside, so that makes them very light and very delicate in some areas. They are made out of plastic I think.

Painting them is ok. Some feel smooth, some feel rougher on the outside. You can choose what you prefer.
Like paintingdinos said, the rougher ones suck up more paint.

I never thought of customizing them, but I would be hesitant to alter poses, because they are hollow and thin.
Maybe, if you decide to cut them to pieces, you could  fill the inside with putty when putting the pieces back together?
With some wire to connect the parts? I don't know.
Bulking up or adding things wouldn't be a problem with epoxy, I would say.

All the figures I've ordered wouldn't stand on their own. You will need to glue them onto something or make a base.
And some of them were also way smaller than I had expected.
Don't trust: "1:40 scale, or 1:35 scale".  Make sure to check sizes on the site or even contact the modeller.

Kaur_RP

avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos avatar_Fenestra @Fenestra

Thank you both for your help, if I ever decide to finally go for it and give Shapeways a go I'll definitely keep these responses in mind

Justin_

There's a thread here where avatar_modelnut @modelnut did some repairs to a large t-rex from Shapeways.

I've got just one Shapeways model, a Parasaurolophus which I think is by the same artist as the ones in paintingdinos' pictures. After about seven years I still get a bit of powder dropping out of the little hole in its belly. Is this common and is it recommended to block the hole? The reason I've left it open is that I was wondering if I could fill the model with very fine sand to make it heavier.

I did the base coat with slightly thicker than normal paint which helped cover the roughness. I've heard of people using varnish or even UV resin to do this but I think the latter could get quite messy.

Fenestra

I've filled up all my figures with epoxy through that tiny hole. It gives some weight en sturdiness IMO.
All of them had that little bit of powder residue coming out. I think that's normal for Shapeway figures.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.