News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Is It Blasphemous To...

Started by Skorpio V., August 13, 2020, 10:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skorpio V.

Wasn't too sure where to post this as it has been a while since viewing the forum and memorizing what each forum is for (apologies if there is already a thread for this/ a betterplace to ask). Anywho, I have a small bunch of Jurassic Park III minis and I'm keen on repainting https://imgur.com/gallery/iP41NSF this here Pachy. It seems to me like this line is a rarer one, would it be blasphemous to paint over him/her?
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Ikessauro

Well, since the figure is yours, you can do with it whatever you want. But, people might not like it. Of course, you can just ignore them and move on.

But sometimes it is worth to consider the rarity of the figure. If it is really rare it probably is expensive. You could just sell it, get the money and buy another pachycephalosaurus miniature, a more common one, and paint that one the color you like. You would be helping other collectors by allowing them the chance to have something rare and at the same time making a bit of cash and getting the pachy you need/want.

If you are willing to repaint something, it's because it is not very attractive to you in the first place and you could find a better one without compromising something rare.

I remember back in the old days of DTF v1 people discussing this about repainting Battat dinos, way before they were reissued.

Back then I didn't have most of the Battats and to me it seemed a bit of a heresy to repaint one. Nowadays I don't see it like that as much. Battats don't seem to be so rare after all, except for a few variants.

But again, I now have an almost complete set, so I might not worry that much about it anymore because I already have them. But if I saw someone customizing a very rare variant of a model I don't have, I'd probably be very upset.

stargatedalek

I have no idea what this would be worth, but this make me think a "what's the value?" thread could be a good resource.

You might try asking on JPtoys? I'm not sure if the sites still as active as it was though.

At the end of the day it's yours, and you can repaint it if you want to. That's what really matters.

Skorpio V.

It seems I have my question answered (will be repainting it and posting the results elsewhere if I do remember). Feel free to use this as a value thread as said before, and thanks to those who answered/ will answer telling me not to  :))
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Skorpio V. on August 14, 2020, 04:23:53 AM
It seems I have my question answered (will be repainting it and posting the results elsewhere if I do remember). Feel free to use this as a value thread as said before, and thanks to those who answered/ will answer telling me not to  :))

Good luck on your repaint.  :)) If you really feel like doing it, don't let anyone's opinion stop you. It's your dinosaur anyway as was said before. I don't think most people will be telling you not to do it. They might not like the ideia, as I explained earlier, but most people will keep it to themselves, unless they are directly asked asked about the matter, such as the case here, where you wanted other people's opinions.

Shonisaurus

Honestly, the figure is yours, you have bought it with your money, I understand that you should be free to do whatever you want with that figure and if there are people who criticize your position, honestly from my honest point of view, their actions are not correct since nobody You can get into each other's private projects as long as they don't constitute a crime and secondly, don't pay attention to criticism and throw it behind your back is a friend's advice.

If the figure is rare and causes mixed feelings among some people, keep in mind that first it is your figure, second you are free and third you are not committing a crime and nobody can get into your private and even public plans as long as they do not constitute a crime or sanctioned offense in criminal law.

Be free to do what you want with that figure, you do not commit any crime and it is your figure. No one can intrude on your private life.

ceratopsian

I have just had quite a rare figure repainted. I take the view that it's mine and should give me pleasure. It wasn't a unique survival. I don't mind if my figure is made less valuable by its repaint.  So I would say that you should please yourself in this sort of matter.

Tyto_Theropod

Thanks, avatar_Skorpio V. @Skorpio V. - you couldn't have created this thread at a better time, as I had a similar question I've been meaning to ask.  Incidentally, good luck with the repaint and I'm glad you were able to come to a decision.

ANYWAY.  I've been thinking about getting some WWD3D minifigures to repaint - as well as busting out the Milliput and giving them some added texture.  In particular, I'm interested in the baby Pachyrhinosaurus figures as there are some available on ebay at the moment and I think they'd look nice making a little herd with my Wild Safari and Battat Terra adults.  However, my impression is that these toys are quite hard to find these days, and I'm always chary about modding rare items that are either  collectibles or have the potential to become them (obviously if something becomes rare and collectible after I've bought and modded it, that's different because I couldn't have known at the time).

So is my impression that WWD3D minifigures are now rare correct?  Also, I've now seen quite a few Pachyrhinosaurus figures for sale, but never the Edmontosaurus, for example, so does it vary figure to figure?  Thanks for any advice anyone can give.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Ikessauro

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on August 14, 2020, 09:59:05 PM
Thanks, avatar_Skorpio V. @Skorpio V. - you couldn't have created this thread at a better time, as I had a similar question I've been meaning to ask.  Incidentally, good luck with the repaint and I'm glad you were able to come to a decision.

ANYWAY.  I've been thinking about getting some WWD3D minifigures to repaint - as well as busting out the Milliput and giving them some added texture.  In particular, I'm interested in the baby Pachyrhinosaurus figures as there are some available on ebay at the moment and I think they'd look nice making a little herd with my Wild Safari and Battat Terra adults.  However, my impression is that these toys are quite hard to find these days, and I'm always chary about modding rare items that are either  collectibles or have the potential to become them (obviously if something becomes rare and collectible after I've bought and modded it, that's different because I couldn't have known at the time).

So is my impression that WWD3D minifigures are now rare correct?  Also, I've now seen quite a few Pachyrhinosaurus figures for sale, but never the Edmontosaurus, for example, so does it vary figure to figure?  Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

I don't think they are that rare nor very sought after. But as we said before, if you bought it, you have complete right to repaint or modify the pieces. Just have fun.  ;D

Tyto_Theropod

Thanks avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro. :)  They aren't that expensive, so I think I'll go for it - although I do already have a ginormous queue of dinosaurs lying around waiting to be customised...  I haven't had the time and/or motivation over the last year or so, but hopefully that will change.
______________________________________________________________________________________

SidB

Quote from: Skorpio V. on August 13, 2020, 10:54:59 PM
Wasn't too sure where to post this as it has been a while since viewing the forum and memorizing what each forum is for (apologies if there is already a thread for this/ a betterplace to ask). Anywho, I have a small bunch of Jurassic Park III minis and I'm keen on re that were painting https://imgur.com/gallery/iP41NSF this here Pachy. It seems to me like this line is a rarer one, would it be blasphemous to paint over him/her?
It's a question that I periodically pose to myself. When I commissioned the conversion of those first release Battats from 1994-8 that could serve as the basis for seven of the unreleased repaints that Dan's passing abruptly prevented from being actualised (see Battat reissue thread,  pages 93-6), I waited quite a while before deciding to proceed. What tipped the balance was the fact that it was meant as a tribute to Dan Lorusso.  My next project may involve the conversion of the CollectA T-rexes  from their feathered series. On the face of it, this seems to be a less "blasphemous" decision, but it still means the disappearance, in a manner of speaking, of five figures that I've grown used to periodically displaying, so that something new and hopefully better will emerge. Not as easy as I'd thought to execute this intention.

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: SidB on August 15, 2020, 12:58:10 AM
Quote from: Skorpio V. on August 13, 2020, 10:54:59 PM
Wasn't too sure where to post this as it has been a while since viewing the forum and memorizing what each forum is for (apologies if there is already a thread for this/ a betterplace to ask). Anywho, I have a small bunch of Jurassic Park III minis and I'm keen on re that were painting https://imgur.com/gallery/iP41NSF this here Pachy. It seems to me like this line is a rarer one, would it be blasphemous to paint over him/her?
It's a question that I periodically pose to myself. When I commissioned the conversion of those first release Battats from 1994-8 that could serve as the basis for seven of the unreleased repaints that Dan's passing abruptly prevented from being actualised (see Battat reissue thread,  pages 93-6), I waited quite a while before deciding to proceed. What tipped the balance was the fact that it was meant as a tribute to Dan Lorusso.  My next project may involve the conversion of the CollectA T-rexes  from their feathered series. On the face of it, this seems to be a less "blasphemous" decision, but it still means the disappearance, in a manner of speaking, of five figures that I've grown used to periodically displaying, so that something new and hopefully better will emerge. Not as easy as I'd thought to execute this intention.

Regarding the T. rexes.  When I plan to mod a figure I like, I tend to buy a new one for the purpose and retain the old one for my collection.  Of course this isn't possible for figures that have been discontinued and are hard to find, or are more expensive, but for a CollectA I'd think it would be a good idea.  It also means you still have the original to appreciate if you end up not being satisfied with your custom.

SidB

avatar_Tyto_Theropod @Tyto_Theropod , that's a very good idea. I have noticed that the original, fully-feathered deluxe rex is getting hard to find, so that if I decide to go this route, I'll have to act sooner rather than later.

CityRaptor

Maybe you could buy an used specimen to repaint. Any paint damage should not matter if you are repainting it anyways.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Ikessauro

Quote from: CityRaptor on August 15, 2020, 02:24:45 PM
Maybe you could buy an used specimen to repaint. Any paint damage should not matter if you are repainting it anyways.

That is something I always think about. When I decide to repaint something I always look to buy a worn scuffed copy of it. It is usually way cheaper than a new or like new one. And this way you end up "saving" a figure that might end up in the trash due to being old and damaged.

CityRaptor

Well, that sounds more like Salvation than Blasphemy to me.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SidB

To me, the challenge will be to acquire used versions of the feathered CollectA T-rexes. The hurdles will be : 1) used specimens are virtually non-existent in Toronto, and 2) shipping costs from specimens acquired from elsewhere will be expensive. I may have to cannibalize the originals - hence weighing the "costs."

Tyto_Theropod

Don't worry, you're not *obliged* to get used ones.  Would be good if it was possible, but not essential. :)

Skorpio V.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.