News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Trilobiti Design - new for 2019

Started by Halichoeres, March 02, 2019, 04:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Trilobiti Design seems to be working on a new model of a hyolith, the first time that I know of that somebody has made one outside of Shapeways:

Update 16 April: now available

Update: Eusthenopteron, Nectocaris, and Pikaia also available:

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

I guess this fabulous trilobite is made of resin if I'm not mistaken.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 04, 2019, 10:37:40 PM

As you can read on picture' description, the model is 3D printed.
It's not made by a mold like resin kits.
It's a fully finished figure and it doesn't need to be assembled or painted.
But if "resin" means "breakable" for you, yes, usually 3D printed models are more fragile than pvc figures.. ;)
3D printed objects can be made with different kind of polymers (and I'm not an expert about chemistry).
So a 3D object can be more or less fragile: it depends on materials it's made of.
I have models from Trilobite Design (plus 3D printed models from Shapeways) and they are more fragile than pvc figures from Safari, Collecta or Papo..
On DTF there are members more expert than me about 3D printing and they could explain things better..

By the way, resin is not the devil.
Resin figures just need more care than plastic ones.
And we're collectors not kids..  ;)

:)

Shonisaurus

Certainly avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow  we are collectors and not children but a resin model (which is not the case) or a breakable or brittle material needs a safe and closed shelves like glass cabinets to prevent an accidental fall that causes the breakage of that figure. I have models of Favorite among them the amargasaurus, carnotaurus and diplodocus of resin, the triceratops breed coming out of the egg of Rebor or fossils (real of a dinosaur, in this case edmontosaurus and other prehistoric animals) and I had to buy glass cases to avoid accidental falls and that the accident cost me to have to repair the figure, on one occasion I dropped the favorite dilophosaurus at a distance of ten centimeters and it broke into three pieces. I had to resort to the restorers of the Museum of Natural Sciences Store and they left it to me again, but I had to pay a lot more money for its repair than what it cost me in its day.

I love the figures of resin and other breakable materials as they are in many cases better than figures of more resistant material (plastic or hollow vinyl) but in many cases they are many more expensive (I can not buy figures that cost between 300 and 1000 euros in many times even in urzeitshop) and need much more care than the figures of PVC or vinyl (which only need a dust remover and a cloth moistened with water). Those are the reasons why I stopped buying the resin figures. Apart from that the shelves of showcase take up a lot of space and cost money that in my case I can not afford. The prehistoric animals that I have are of exhibition but many times when I want to see a figure of PVC or vinyl to admire the figure and as it is logical not to play, inevitably I fall to the ground and even suffer abrasions and tears as happened to me with the proceratosaurus and baryonyx standard version of Collecta and I had to buy them again. If that happens with figures of more resistant material, one can make conjectures about how the restoration of resin figures or other material more brittle than PVC or other more resistant materials can harm my economy.

If he had money, he would obviously buy resin figures, and in many cases he would stop buying PVC figures or other more resistant material, but more intended for children.

stargatedalek

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on April 05, 2019, 07:18:57 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 04, 2019, 10:37:40 PM

As you can read on picture' description, the model is 3D printed.
It's not made by a mold like resin kits.
It's a fully finished figure and it doesn't need to be assembled or painted.
But if "resin" means "breakable" for you, yes, usually 3D printed models are more fragile than pvc figures.. ;)
3D printed objects can be made with different kind of polymers (and I'm not an expert about chemistry).
So a 3D object can be more or less fragile: it depends on materials it's made of.
I have models from Trilobite Design (plus 3D printed models from Shapeways) and they are more fragile than pvc figures from Safari, Collecta or Papo..
On DTF there are members more expert than me about 3D printing and they could explain things better..

By the way, resin is not the devil.
Resin figures just need more care than plastic ones.
And we're collectors not kids..  ;)

:)
Resin is a very common term in 3D printing. Liquid resin is used by SLA 3D printers and creates detailed but extremely fragile objects. Traditionally resin printing is only used for creating prototypes which would then be cast in traditional plastics, but due to its detail it has more recently become popular as a medium for printing art.

Compounds like PLA or ABS are used by FDM printers and are more equatable to traditional plastics (I'd be surprised if some companies hadn't occasionally used ABS alongside PVC). These are what is traditionally used in "functional" 3D printing (namely ABS), such as printing replacement parts for machines, and it is significantly cheaper.

The loss of detail is not noticeable unless you are printing very small items (which is typically only necessitated by the price of resin anyway), and the cost of FDM vs SLA materials is literally cents on the tens of dollars.

I only recommend resin printing if you're prototyping or printing something very small that needs to be highly detailed.

3D printed items are never display ready out of the machine, if these are being sold finished than that is being done by hand afterwards. Even sandstone models (like Paleozoo) which can print in colour is not truly display ready until it's been prepared by hand.

Additionally, this isn't the first time you've said something disparaging like "we're collectors not children" towards people who do choose to play with their figurines or were otherwise concerned about an items fragility or even cost. This is the "dinosaur toy forum" not the "dinosaur art forum", many of us are buying toys quite purposefully and such comments can be highly discouraging. Could you not do this going forwards? It would be really great thank you.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 05, 2019, 03:06:15 PM

Additionally, this isn't the first time you've said something disparaging like "we're collectors not children" towards people who do choose to play with their figurines or were otherwise concerned about an items fragility or even cost. This is the "dinosaur toy forum" not the "dinosaur art forum", many of us are buying toys quite purposefully and such comments can be highly discouraging. Could you not do this going forwards? It would be really great thank you.

Please, don't put words in my mouth that I never said ("disparaging" is quite a strong word).
Thank you.
I simply expressed my point of view regarding resin figure (and, more vaguely, about this hobby).
And I'd like to do that in the future, if you please.
Simply because I'm not criticizing anyone who thinks otherwise nor I never did so.
Thank you very much.
Could I suggest to report to moderators posts where I said something "disparaging" against forum members (because I really don't remember)... ?

Sorry for a little OT:
To be honest, I'm slowly losing interest in posting on DTF because of few people who get easily upset about minor things quite meaningless.

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on April 05, 2019, 05:40:14 PM

Please, don't put words in my mouth that I never said ("disparaging" is quite a strong word).
Thank you.
I simply expressed my point of view regarding resin figure (and, more vaguely, about this hobby).
Simply because I'm not criticizing anyone who thinks otherwise nor I never did so.
Thank you very much.
Could I suggest to report to moderators posts where I said something "disparaging" against forum members (because I really don't remember)... ?

Sorry for a little OT:
To be honest, I'm slowly losing interest in posting on DTF because of few people who get easily upset about minor things quite meaningless.

If someone felt disparaged by something you said then the thing you said was disparaging, even if you didn't mean it. A lot can be said or read that is not explicit in the words you use. Being thoughtful about the language and tone you are presenting in an online discussion goes a long way, and it's not really fair to respond with aggression to someone pointing this out, it's not about being too sensitive or attacking you, it's just about trying to foster a friendly and considerate community. 

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on April 05, 2019, 06:49:51 PM

Thank you.
Thank you very much.

Sorry for a little OT:

If someone felt disparaged by something you said then the thing you said was disparaging, even if you didn't mean it. A lot can be said or read that is not explicit in the words you use. Being thoughtful about the language and tone you are presenting in an online discussion goes a long way, and it's not really fair to respond with aggression to someone pointing this out, it's not about being too sensitive or attacking you, it's just about trying to foster a friendly and considerate community.

"A lot can be said or read that is not explicit in the words you use" means that someone could be offended by things I never wrote?
It sounds quite strange...  ???

(We're going off-topic. I don't want to break DTF rules. Regards )

stargatedalek

Thank you.
Thank you very much.

Sorry for a little OT:
You say "Don't put words in my mouth." but you mean "You don't get to feel bad about something I said unless I meant to make you feel bad, all I was doing was making fun of people I disagree with, I'm sick of those people trying to defend themselves afterwards.".

Implying that only children play with their toys, or that only children would have reason to worry about how fragile something they own is is an incredibly judgemental thing to say on a forum dedicated to the collecting of toys. Again, this isn't the "Dinosaur Statuette Forum", it's the "Dinosaur Toy Forum", I was only asking that you please try to be more acknowledging that not everyone shares your preferences or priorities.

I understand English is not your first language but you use it rather professionally so I have difficulty believing you don't understand what you were implying, or that they would be so fundamentally different between English and Italian.

Nimravus

Hey guys, don't take it too seriously. This is a place to enjoy and share our hobby, for some it may be collecting pieces of art, for others playing with them. Let's respect each other and enjoy our collections.

Libraraptor

Quote from: Nimravus on April 05, 2019, 09:05:09 PM
Hey guys, don't take it too seriously. This is a place to enjoy and share our hobby, for some it may be collecting pieces of art, for others playing with them. Let's respect each other and enjoy our collections.

I second that. I enjoy this place firstly because of that passion we share and also because of the respectful approach we all agree on to support the joy for this passion. 

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Nimravus on April 05, 2019, 09:05:09 PM

Totally agree. Let's not make things a world and more in a webpage of hobbies. It would be unfortunate that we are antagonized by petty things. May there be peace among us DTF members and that we be an example in the Internet community.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

bmathison1972

Halichoeres

I'm very tempted myself. I rarely buy non-plastic figures unless they are fishes, but to add an entire new phylum to my collection...

Halichoeres

This may end up being a 2020 release, but Trilobite Design is working on a Nectocaris:

Halichoeres

Fixed the broken Nectocaris image, sorry about that.

Halichoeres

Eusthenopteron, Nectocaris, and Pikaia now available:

bmathison1972

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: