You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Unnuakomys, the northernmost marsupial

Started by Halichoeres, March 05, 2019, 02:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

It's not a particularly amazing specimen, about standard for a small mammal, but here's a new marsupial known from the Late Cretaceous of Alaska, before marsupials went extinct in North America (the opossums now living in North America colonized via Panama in just the last few million years). Its name is Unnuakomys hutchisoni ("Hutchinson's night-mouse" from a combination of Greek and Iñupiaq).

Here's the holotype; there are also some other teeth and jaw fragments:

And here's what it might have looked like at the foot of Edmontosaurus/Ugrunaaluk (art by James Havens):

Description appears to be open access: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14772019.2018.1560369
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures