News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Diplodocus carnegii neck length?

Started by Seijun, June 03, 2012, 11:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seijun

I'm trying to find the estimated neck length of diplodocus carnegii, or at least the length of some other body part for which the dimensions are relatively known. So far I can only find estimates of the total length, which range from 70 feet to over 100 feet. However, this doesn't give me a very good idea of the size of the actual animal, since skeletal reconstructions vary immensely on how much of that total length was tail.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Seijun on June 03, 2012, 11:06:57 PM
I'm trying to find the estimated neck length of diplodocus carnegii, or at least the length of some other body part for which the dimensions are relatively known. So far I can only find estimates of the total length, which range from 70 feet to over 100 feet. However, this doesn't give me a very good idea of the size of the actual animal, since skeletal reconstructions vary immensely on how much of that total length was tail.
As far as I know, specimens are so few. I don't believe any complete necks are known so the correct number of cervicals can't be determined and therefore the neck length can't be known. Which is why I find lengths varying from 20ft to 29ft. That seems to be the problem for almost all sauropods. A lot of the times it's not even certain the parts are from one individual. It's a real mess. Don't know if this will help but check this out http://www.revealedsingularity.net/files/mm_diplo_pp.pdf

Takama

At first i thought this was concerning the Carnegi Model

Forgive me for this but, Theres a Diplodicus species whos last name is Carnegi?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on June 04, 2012, 05:22:17 AM
At first i thought this was concerning the Carnegi Model

Forgive me for this but, Theres a Diplodicus species whos last name is Carnegi?
Yes, it is Diplodocus Carnegii :)

The Carnegie line is produced in cooperation with the Carnegie museum, which I think is named after its founder, Andrew Carnegie.

Seijun

Quote from: paleoferroequine on June 04, 2012, 03:39:38 AM
As far as I know, specimens are so few. I don't believe any complete necks are known so the correct number of cervicals can't be determined and therefore the neck length can't be known. Which is why I find lengths varying from 20ft to 29ft. That seems to be the problem for almost all sauropods. A lot of the times it's not even certain the parts are from one individual. It's a real mess. Don't know if this will help but check this out http://www.revealedsingularity.net/files/mm_diplo_pp.pdf

Thanks :) I knew there was also no complete neck for diplo, but his neck seemed like it was more complete than the tail. I read the article you provided.  It doesn't give any neck lengths for diplo, but it describes a mathematical formula which can be used to estimate neck length in sauropods. Its very "over the top of my head" though :(

20-29 feet seems like a good place to start.  Scott Hartman's d. carnegii skeletal reconstruction has a neck length of about 23 feet, based on the little meter line he included in the illustration. I was trying to determine how big to make a 1/40 scale diplo. The armature I made feels painfully small, but based on these measurements he seems to be correct.

D. carnegii was named after Andrew Carnegie.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Seijun on June 04, 2012, 06:13:28 AM

Thanks :) I knew there was also no complete neck for diplo, but his neck seemed like it was more complete than the tail. I read the article you provided.  It doesn't give any neck lengths for diplo, but it describes a mathematical formula which can be used to estimate neck length in sauropods. Its very "over the top of my head" though :(

20-29 feet seems like a good place to start.  Scott Hartman's d. carnegii skeletal reconstruction has a neck length of about 23 feet, based on the little meter line he included in the illustration. I was trying to determine how big to make a 1/40 scale diplo. The armature I made feels painfully small, but based on these measurements he seems to be correct.

Well, the Safari/Carnegie D.carnegii(is it supposed to be D. carnegii?) has a neck of 26.5ft, body of 16.6ft and tail of 50ft for a total of about 93ft and it's 1/40 scale. However I think the body is too long so it would be shorter.

Seijun

Thanks paleo. I don't own the carnegie model yet. The neck on my armature would be about 23ft long at 1:1 scale.

s.foulkes

I can help here the standards for many of the Diplodocus mounts are NECK-22ft.- BODY 13ft.- TAIL 55ft.  total length 90ft. and there is your answer. hope this helps.
Bringing back the world of Dinosaurs one sculpt at a time!

wings

Quote from: Seijun on June 04, 2012, 06:13:28 AM

As you are aware, we don't really have the whole neck sequence for Diplodocus carnegii ( http://svpow.com/2011/05/19/how-long-was-the-neck-of-diplodocus/ ). So all the complete Diplodocus carnegii neck reconstructions are just speculation at the present. As to work out the "correct" number of neck vertebrates for Diplodocoidea family in general we can look into other specimens like "Amphicoelias brontodiplodocus ( http://www.dinosauriainternational.com/downloads/Amphicoelias.pdf )" (probably not a peer reviewed paper but the animal's neck is quite complete, you should get the idea just by looking at the images). Now that you have the relatively correct number of neck vertebrates all you'll need to do is to scale them up to get a rough estimate of the neck length for the animal (probably I don't have to tell you this  but a word of caution is that you might still need to make slight adjustment to them since these vertebrates are from a juvenile individual, and often ontogeny does change the morphology of the individual elements on an animal quite a bit due to the different rate of development in different areas. I suppose at least now you have something to base on). The end result might not be the "exact" measurement but it should be very close.   

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.