You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

"Cretaceous" a graphic novel by Tadd Galusha, Oni Press

Started by ITdactyl, May 03, 2019, 11:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITdactyl

Got a belated birthday present, a beat-up copy of Tadd Galusha's graphic novel "Cretaceous".  I believe this was released by Oni Press March this year - so it's weird that I never heard of it (until I got my copy).  Since my copy isn't very presentable (a "rescue" from a garage sale), I'll just post the cover from the interwebs.

If you liked Marvel's "Dinosaurs: A Celebration", or Ricardo Delgado's "Age of Reptiles", you'll enjoy this book.  The take on the animal designs are relatively more modern.  I was personally dreading a cliched confrontation when the Rex met a trike, but was pleasantly surprised that it didn't go the way I expected it to go.  Be warned nature purists, there are still tropes a-plenty; like a bit of anthromorphism and some missed opportunities on creature design.  That's not to say it was awful though - quite the opposite actually.

I read this as a samurai revenge story (even the fights and the deaths work along those lines) - but replace the samurai with the assortment of Carnivores from the Late Cretaceous of North America.  I sure hope Tadd makes more of these.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ITdactyl

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 08, 2019, 12:57:29 AM
I would like one titled "Triassic."

Don't we all?  Alas, pop culture gravitates towards the charismatic giants of the time periods that followed.

MLMjp

Quote from: ITdactyl on May 08, 2019, 01:45:12 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on May 08, 2019, 12:57:29 AM
I would like one titled "Triassic."

Don't we all?  Alas, pop culture gravitates towards the charismatic giants of the time periods that followed.
At least it is not "Jurassic" like it usually is...

Syndicate Bias

Jurassic is like the cool uncle while Triassic is the distant cousin you never talk about and the Cretaceous is like the older brother that gets all the attention for playing football. American Football that is

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: CityRaptor on May 08, 2019, 10:43:04 AM
Yet Cretaceous is often confused with Jurassic.

you can blame Jurassic Park for that

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.