You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

First body fossil of a "shark" known only from teeth!

Started by Halichoeres, October 04, 2019, 05:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

As devotees of a certain shark, whose notoriety stems entirely from an infantile obsession with size, are well aware, the majority of fossil chondrichthyans are known only or mostly from teeth. Until recently, that was also true of the Devonian shark relative Phoebodus. A new species in the genus, from the Devonian of Morocco, has just been described, based on a nearly complete skeleton--a real rarity for an animal with no true bone. Meet Phoebodus saidselachus (I think this means "Said's bright-toothed shark," but the paper is behind a paywall, so I can't be sure). A phylogenetic analysis finds it to be a stem-elasmobranch, meaning it is more closely related to sharks and rays than to chimeras.

Here's the holotype:

("mc" = Meckel's cartilage, which is the lower jaw in chondrichthyans, in case that helps you orient yourself)

And a reconstruction comparing Phoebodus (A) with the Carboniferous chondrichthyan Thrinacoselache (B) and the modern frilled shark Chlamydoselachus anguineus (C):

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find out who did the reconstruction, but I'll update this post when I get the pdf.

Paper (paywall): https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2019.1336

And a write-up at phys.org: https://phys.org/news/2019-10-skeletal-phoebodus-morocco.html
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

brontosauruschuck

That is a very interesting find. I bet the paper is really cool. Oh well.

Halichoeres

I actually managed to get the pdf. I would be happy to send it to you if you pm me your email address.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

brontosauruschuck

Woah! Cool! Did you ask the paper's author? I heard a rumor that most authors are willing to give out their papers for free.

Halichoeres

Quote from: brontosauruschuck on November 08, 2019, 11:50:16 AM
Woah! Cool! Did you ask the paper's author? I heard a rumor that most authors are willing to give out their papers for free.

No, I actually got it from a friend of mine who is a student of one of the authors. But it's true, authors are frequently willing to give people copies. As you may know, authors make no money from the articles, every penny of a subscription or article purchase goes to the publishers.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.