You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

*sigh* do you ever think we are going to get more prehistoric mammals

Started by crankydinosaur, February 16, 2020, 02:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Ravonium on February 21, 2020, 07:04:42 PM
I think this year's near-lack of Cenozoic mammals is just an anomaly, but I do want to see a wider range of them in the coming years.

Quote from: austrosaurus on February 18, 2020, 03:00:02 PM
I am surprised that glyptodonts haven't experienced something of a revival, I guess they must just be too similar to ankylosaurs to bother with.

Same here, and I'm even more surprised that Megatherium hasn't seen a revival either  :-\

Perhaps the Schleich Safari and glyptodon doedicurus were not very successful and the same can be said of the Schleich, Safari and Bullyland megatheriums.

In this case, these brands risked money in producing those figures of prehistoric mammals, but it must have been such a failure in sales that all brands of toy dinosaurs think about it more than once when producing such figures, unfortunately I'm afraid they don't even think about it.

The sale of prehistoric dinosaurs and animals is a business and if certain figures are not sold, the brands take note and take the appropriate measures. Some collectors are figures of prehistoric mammals quite greedy metaphorically speaking but not so for a considerable part of collectors and children and young people.  :(

SidB

Clearly, Cenozoic mammals need better public relations.They come across as non-descript compared with dinosaurs, for the average consumer. Monochromatic /brownish coloration, likely accurate as it is, doesn't help. Boring poses haven't aided the cause either. Maybe a limited papo-isation of the group would help. Looking at their second Smilodon figure - well, it's more than a bit outlandish, but it does catch the eye. Shocking poses, such as displayed by Papo's upcoming Giganotosaurus, may be what this segment of the market needs to excite some excitement, generate some revenue to kickstart more interest in prehistoric mammals.

austrosaurus

Quote from: SidB on February 23, 2020, 01:12:55 AM
Clearly, Cenozoic mammals need better public relations.They come across as non-descript compared with dinosaurs, for the average consumer. Monochromatic /brownish coloration, likely accurate as it is, doesn't help. Boring poses haven't aided the cause either. Maybe a limited papo-isation of the group would help. Looking at their second Smilodon figure - well, it's more than a bit outlandish, but it does catch the eye. Shocking poses, such as displayed by Papo's upcoming Giganotosaurus, may be what this segment of the market needs to excite some excitement, generate some revenue to kickstart more interest in prehistoric mammals.

Honestly I'd prefer a very limited number of accurate mammals than for Papo to do one in their style and have that become the popular depiction that every other brand emulates.

Loon

Quote from: austrosaurus on April 01, 2020, 05:16:02 AM
Honestly I'd prefer a very limited number of accurate mammals than for Papo to do one in their style and have that become the popular depiction that every other brand emulates.

Papo have done mammals, but I can't say many of them look that good. If Papo used the same style they use for their dinosaurs on mammals, it'd probably look like this:

SidB

Quote from: Loon on April 01, 2020, 05:23:25 AM
Quote from: austrosaurus on April 01, 2020, 05:16:02 AM

Papo have done mammals, but I can't say many of them look that good. If Papo used the same style they use for their dinosaurs on mammals, it'd probably look like this:

That would likely sell like hotcakes. Unfortunately, accurate ones are perceived by the general public as boring. Since this occurs with dinosaurs, the effect with mammals is far worse.

Smilodon P.

We have to accept that prehistoric mammal figures don't have much appeal to the general public.  :'(

In the popular culture, dinosaurs are much more attractive, because, thanks to the movies and other media, they are portrayed as gigantic and fantastic beasts similar to the extraordinary monsters of legends and myths - for instance, every time I see the reconstruction of the Ibrahim´´s Spinosaurus I think of Ammit; if I see something about Cockatrice, in my mind I automatically see the image of a Citipati (but, let´s leave this conversation about Adrienne Mayor for another moment  ;)).

Besides that, the vast majority of people still see ancient mammals as giant versions of current animal. After all in a toy figure what´s the difference between a castoroids and a beaver? A Pachyocrocuta and a hyena? Very little, isn't it?

For this reason, in most cases, we will have to wait for a few mammal figurines annually among countless dinosaurs made by toy companies.

In addition, a high percentage of the figures will focus on groups best known to the public (sabertooth, mammoths, woolly rhinos, etc.), so if you want a more specific figure with a more natural look you will have to order someone to do, like this short-faced bear made by artbyanz https://pt-br.facebook.com/ArtbyAnz/:

Or, try to do it yourself with youtube tutorials:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdm6bAO3Ius   :(

(P.S.: Someone had claimed - some posts behind - the absence of glyptodons on the market. It seems that Signatustudio https://www.facebook.com/signatustudio/ will produce 3 three prehistoric animals and we have one of our armored friends among them:
Glyptodon:)

Bokisaurus

It's true that prehistoric mammals in general are slower sellers that dinosaurs.
What we really need isa reboot of Walking with prehistoric Beast or better yet prehistoric mammals make some cameos in a JP movie!
Imagine a new WWPB series now with news companies to inspire 😃

Bottom line is that if the public and collectors are not going to support any effort, then it just reinforce the belief that they don't sell.

Honestly, how many of you guys actually got the CollectA Elasmothwrium? It was the last prehistoric mammal produced, and it's beautiful figure, but I'm not sure many bought one.

We can keep on wishing, but if we are not buying, then it's just that, wishing 😂

Cheers and stay safe!

Libraraptor

Loon

Shonisaurus

Prehistoric mammals are as interesting to me as dinosaurs but I understand that they are less valued. Dinosaurs or other contemporary prehistoric animals are unique, they have no comparison with current species, but prehistoric mammals are still mammals for the most part very similar to current animals. A smilodon if you remove the saber teeth is identical to a cougar, an arctodus simus is very similar to a current bear, even prehistoric mammals such as uintatherium, megacerops or arsinoitherium have similarities with the current rhino although they do not belong to the same family. In short, prehistoric mammals have little success in sales for that reason.

On the other hand, as already mentioned, the Collecta elasmotherium (magnificent figure of prehistoric mammal) gives me the impression that we have bought it at most half a dozen (metaphorically speaking) from DTF members, so if among dinosaur fans and prehistoric animals the elasmotherium has not been collected, that makes me wonder how many children will be interested in a prehistoric rhino?

Paleo & Fish Collector

I'm strictly a small animal collector, probably because that's what I grew up playing with. The little animals could fit in my hands and I have plenty of space for them.

This particular area of prehistory is incredibly hard for me to collect for obvious reasons— and me being a small animal collector just narrows it down more. I've always found it odd how there are plenty of Paleozoic animals to collect in every size, yet Cenozoic animals are such a challenge. You'd think they'd be more popular because of children's movies like Ice Age.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.