You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Two variants of the Toyway Ophthalmosaurus?

Started by Reuben03, December 03, 2020, 04:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reuben03

So the other day i was browsing ebay looking for Ichthyosaur paraphernalia. i'm an ichthyosaur guy, everybody knows that.
I saw what i was hoping for, as well as one pristine, still in the Box and obviously very expensive, i saw a toyway Opthalmosaurus, with a best offer option, starting pretty cheap!
it wasn't in very good condition, but beggars cant be choosers. so i was considering it when upon closer inspection, something seemed strange. the figure itself seemed to have a tail curving round like the new safari ichthyosaur, and that to me is odd, as the WWD Opthalmosaurus appeals to me BECAUSE of its perfect default position with no unnecessary pose to hinder playability.

those are the pictures. weird right?
heres how i thought they all looked (one image belongs to the dinosaur toy blog obviously)[/url[url=https://imgbb.com/]

so yeah. i think perhaps it looks like two near identical moulds!

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

CityRaptor

Have you considered that the tail might have been warped?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Reuben03

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 03, 2020, 05:31:58 PM
Have you considered that the tail might have been warped?
yes, but it looks to fixed and also slightly elongated, the tail shape also looks ever so slightly different, it just looks like a different tail

Ikessauro

To me it looks like the figure might have been heavily played with, and somehow the tail was bent. To be sure if the tail is actually longer on yours you would have to have both versions in hand, because pictures sometimes deceive our eyes. Angle of the camera, lighting, it all changes our perspective and can create illusions. I myself collect variants and several times I was mistaken when comparing things only through pictures. I had a figure, saw another that seemed a bit different and in the end it was just photo distortion of color or perspective.

I imagine that someone played a lot with this toy, since it is very scuffed. It could have been stored in a toy box for a long time and under the weight of other stuff it could have bent the tail, specially in hotter summer days. Also, some kids just abuse their toys, while playing, forcing limbs and tails that are not bendable to flex. Repetitive stress could permanently deform the toy.

But I could also be wrong, as I said, only way to tell would be to have two of the same toy side by side in person.

Reuben03

Quote from: Ikessauro on December 03, 2020, 05:59:25 PM
To me it looks like the figure might have been heavily played with, and somehow the tail was bent. To be sure if the tail is actually longer on yours you would have to have both versions in hand, because pictures sometimes deceive our eyes. Angle of the camera, lighting, it all changes our perspective and can create illusions. I myself collect variants and several times I was mistaken when comparing things only through pictures. I had a figure, saw another that seemed a bit different and in the end it was just photo distortion of color or perspective.

I imagine that someone played a lot with this toy, since it is very scuffed. It could have been stored in a toy box for a long time and under the weight of other stuff it could have bent the tail, specially in hotter summer days. Also, some kids just abuse their toys, while playing, forcing limbs and tails that are not bendable to flex. Repetitive stress could permanently deform the toy.

But I could also be wrong, as I said, only way to tell would be to have two of the same toy side by side in person.
yeah! very true, shame i'll probably never know...

DinoToyForum

It has obviously just been warped. The plastic is quite flexible. The figure was probably sat in a tub with other toys on top of it and has clearly been well played with.

Halichoeres

Yeah I agree this is warped. These were sold on blister cards, so it's hard to imagine they would have made a variant that would increase the packaging volume.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.